Author Topic: cb750a motor overhaul and brake upgrade  (Read 2028 times)

cb750a

cb750a motor overhaul and brake upgrade
« on: September 15, 2006, 11:17:46 pm »
hello all i got a 77 cb750a hondamatic and was woundering where to get rebuild parts for the motor and trans would also like to upgrade cam and valve train also i would like to know if u can up grade the rear wheel to disk brakes useing parts that all bold on from another honda cb model?any ideas? thanks mark

Offline super pasty white guy

• I'm not really a
  • Expert
  • 1976 750 F
Re: cb750a motor overhaul and brake upgrade
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2006, 07:38:57 am »
Regarding your brakes question, I'm in the process of doing this myslef.  Seems that (for reasons unknown) the previous owner of my bike (a '76 F) replaced the rear disk brake with a drum instead.  It works ok, so clearly, you can go back and forth.  It still bugs the hell out of me, so I'm going to switch it back (the rust on the rim and that broken spoke I didn't notice is also helping the decision).

I've been reading old posts and checking with a few members around here.  Take what I say with a grain of salt, since I haven't yet done this myslef.  What it appears that you'll need to do (assuming the rear is the same as other bikes) is replace the rear wheel, swingarm, and brake stay with those off of an F series.  You may need to fabricate something to correctly mount the brake pedal and master cylinder.  I've been told also that the rear brake on a 75-76 was actually too strong and that the 77-78 model is a better choice.  In my emailing with cycle salvage yards, it looks like it'll run ~$300 or so if you go that route.  Taking your time and picking up the various parts from ebay or members (check the sale forum) should allow you to do it (?much?) cheaper.

Good luck, and if you get it to work, make sure to post your results so that others may bask in your glory.  Welcome to the forum.

Dave
Fruit don't talk, fruit just listens... and waits.