Author Topic: POssible job in Nashville....  (Read 3230 times)

Ratfink

POssible job in Nashville....
« on: November 14, 2006, 08:33:27 am »
Any of you out in Nashville? I may be flying out there tomorrow to interview for a guitar repair job.....am I going to like it out there? Whats the weather like this time of year? Hows the riding? Are there any skateparks? Is my wife going to hate it? How is the school system? Crime rate? How does Nashville compare to other cities? Compared to west coast cities?

I know the music scene is good.

Im a dyed in the wool west coaster......is it going to be too much culture shock?

Offline Bob Wessner

• "Carbs Suck!"
  • Really Old Timer ...
Re: POssible job in Nashville....
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2006, 09:19:48 am »
Some of this info. might help. I'm sure we have some members in the area also. Good luck on the interview.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nashville
We'll all be someone else's PO some day.

Ebrandon

« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2006, 10:02:06 am »
I am from Chattanooga, but have spent a but of time in Nashville since some of my family lives there. It is a pretty cool city. They have lots of events and goings on that keep things exciting. During the summer they have free (use to be free at least) music on the water once a week.

As far as cities go it is a pretty clean city too. Culture shock? Possible. Although Nashville has some progressive people the surronding areas can be very conservative, it is in the bible belt.

Weather this time of year is pretty screwy. It was  mid 70s on Friday and saturday the high was around 40. Today is mid 60s, so there is definately some riding weather left in this year. And there are definately some killer roads just outside of town that you can get on. Doesn't take long to get into the hilly areas with great two land roads.

I don't know anything about skate parks or crime rate...

Offline AHuff

« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2006, 10:07:10 am »
Any of you out in Nashville? I may be flying out there tomorrow to interview for a guitar repair job.....am I going to like it out there? Whats the weather like this time of year? Hows the riding? Are there any skateparks? Is my wife going to hate it? How is the school system? Crime rate? How does Nashville compare to other cities? Compared to west coast cities?

I know the music scene is good.

Im a dyed in the wool west coaster......is it going to be too much culture shock?

I'll take a crack at this. Been here all my life (bout 25 years) and it seems to suit me just fine.

Are you going to like it? Hard to say without knowing you.

Weather, I think it was in the 30's yesterday, high 40's right now. Our weather is quite strange, we have had snow in October, and I've worn shorts in January. Summers are hot, spring/fall are just about right (for me) and our winters tend to be mild. Its been a while since I remember seeing snow on the ground for more than a day.

Riding, I have never riden out of the middle TN area, but Deal's Gap seems to be a popular run. Maybe one of the other guys will have a broader outlook for you.

Skateparks, I think the brentwood YMCA had one at some point, but its been a while since I have been down that way.

School system, I grew up in private schools so I won't be much help on the public system. But I have always heard that the Williamson County schools are far superior to Metro Davidson county.

Crime, http://www.cityrating.com/citycrime.asp?city=Nashville&state=TN

Have you given any thought to where you would live if you ended up here? Nashville is comprised of lots of smaller communities in the middle tennessee area. Are you looking towards down town or wanting something with a bit more room to spread out on?

Ratfink

« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2006, 10:54:00 am »
Thanks for the replies....sounds good so far...
as for where to live, I dont want to have a long (30 min or more) comute. I would like some room to wiggle... but a house somewhere in the city might not be too bad, except for price Im sure.
looking for tickets right now...

wed the 29th to saturday the2nd.

know any good cheap flights? Or have miles to share    :):)

Offline Bob Wessner

• "Carbs Suck!"
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2006, 10:58:52 am »
Here's the distribution of housing costs in Nashville. Not too bad really.

Median House Value Median House Value $168,610 (Medium Cost Relative to Tennessee, Medium Cost Relative to the United States)

House Value Range

$0-$60,000 10%
$60,001-$120,000 45%
$120,001-$240,000 30%
$240,001-$360,000 8%
$360,001-$470,000 3%
$470,001-$600,000 1%
$600,001-$900,000 2%
$900,001-$1.2 million 0%
$1.2 million + 1%

Offline dusterdude

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2006, 12:00:24 pm »
when i was out there in the late 70`s,madison was a right nice place
mark
1972 k1 750
1949 fl panhead
1 1/2 gl1100 goldwings
1998 cbr600 f3

Offline Raul CB750K1

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2006, 01:26:19 pm »
I lived in Nashville for half a year and found it quite a nice place to live. I didn't find it dangerous -compared to spanish cities, that are safe in average-. I remember a couple of guitar shops: Guitar Heaven and another one whose name I can't remember -I too play electric guitar -or try to- and was considering to get me a PRS. I left in December and remember cold days and hot and humid summer days. I used to go running in Shelby bottoms, a protected area in the middle of the city with paved roads reserved for pedestrians, bicycles and skates. If you are talking about skateboarding I can't help with that. There is a Gibson factory in the Opry Mills mall, but only for bluegrass instruments -the main factory is in Memphis-.

Raul

Offline hondachopproject

• Enthusiast
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2006, 02:39:23 pm »
I have only been there once. My family stems from minutes north of Nashville.
But, when I did visit I found it a friendly and clean city. Fairly easy to get around, not like let's say LA.
Walked alover the downtown area and never felt a bit uneasy.
Reunion was in Goodlettsville, just minutes north of the city, a nice town.
Best I can do,
Lee
92 HERITAGE

Rocking-M

« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2006, 03:42:52 pm »
Just don't move in and try to change folks!

Best advice I can give to a non-Southron. ;)

Offline ic455

• Expert
  • 750 K6
    • My Gallery
« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2006, 05:39:39 pm »
Just don't move in and try to change folks!

Best advice I can give to a non-Southron. ;)

Good advice 8) 

Offline GoatBaSS

• Could someone find an
  • Expert
  • To weird to live, to rare to die.
« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2006, 06:15:13 pm »
Yeah try and change folks. That goes over really well with everyone!!!
I live in B'ham but am up ther often enough. School system is Franklin, to the south. Lot of good friends from there over the years. As for surrounding areas the first Saturn plant is to the south near Columbia TN ( a GREAT town) so it is populated by more folk from Mich according to my experience. Vanderbilt University is one heck of a school. Music scene is like LA, people gettin off the bus every day to find the piece of the dream. Gruhn Guitars is there. Mecca without the fuss. A friend of a friend was Chet Atkins' neuro surgeon, and  asked this friend to lunch ,said there will be a couple of people joining us if that was ok. Fine, and the next thing you know, he is sitting with Mark Knopfler and James Taylor, just having lunch! He said the strangest thing was no one gave it a second thought. Jus' Reglar folk.

Only Negative( and this was a few years ago mind you) My college roommate said there was no good Barbeque (BBQ, Bar- BEE QUE) but that may have changed.
Leethal # 3046?
1972 CB750K/900CC Red Headed Dunstall, 1975CB750FSS Gone BNF: 1974CB500T, 1976CB750K X 2

Offline ic455

• Expert
  • 750 K6
    • My Gallery
« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2006, 06:21:51 pm »
Yeah try and change folks. That goes over really well with everyone!!!
I live in B'ham but am up ther often enough. School system is Franklin, to the south. Lot of good friends from there over the years. As for surrounding areas the first Saturn plant is to the south near Columbia TN ( a GREAT town) so it is populated by more folk from Mich according to my experience. Vanderbilt University is one heck of a school. Music scene is like LA, people gettin off the bus every day to find the piece of the dream. Gruhn Guitars is there. Mecca without the fuss. A friend of a friend was Chet Atkins' neuro surgeon, and  asked this friend to lunch ,said there will be a couple of people joining us if that was ok. Fine, and the next thing you know, he is sitting with Mark Knopfler and James Taylor, just having lunch! He said the strangest thing was no one gave it a second thought. Jus' Reglar folk.

Only Negative( and this was a few years ago mind you) My college roommate said there was no good Barbeque (BBQ, Bar- BEE QUE) but that may have changed.

No good BBQ?!?  Find yourself a "BadBob's" restaurant!  I think there is one in Nashville......I'll agree, however, that finding good BBQ anywhere North of GA is a tough job ;)

Offline GoatBaSS

• Could someone find an
  • Expert
« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2006, 06:51:18 pm »
An ya know ters folk who says dat aint nuttin good outsid SC TN MO n TX! Uh Shame iffun ya ask me.
Leethal # 3046?
1972 CB750K/900CC Red Headed Dunstall, 1975CB750FSS Gone BNF: 1974CB500T, 1976CB750K X 2

Ratfink

« Reply #14 on: November 15, 2006, 07:02:53 pm »
Yea...changing people is not something Ill be trying to do. Just keep my mouth shut when I hear that vile N-word.

Gruhn is where Im interviewing...

Although I just got a job today at a local cabinet shop as project manager.....now what.....Follow my dream in Nashville? Or stay here and  take care of my family well..... Good pay here where I live( a great town) whith  all my friends and history  vs    dream job and less pay plus a large move and uncertainty....kinda a tough choice. But theres no guarantee at either job.
I need help. ??? ??? ???

Rocking-M

« Reply #15 on: November 15, 2006, 07:17:22 pm »
Having been raised in eastern NC,

There is no good barbeque west of I-95 in  NC (and none north or south of NC). There are a few exceptions to this
in SC (I've tried the mustard base sauce in Columbia SC, they can keep it :))

Now, some NC boys may have decided to move off and make Bar-B-Q in some far off land,
in that case it may be fittin to eat (I found some in Maine :)) You may even find some in
Jawja, but, I doubt in in Texas, they seem to think B-B-Q is made from beef there :(.

Let the barbeque wars begin :)

Offline ic455

• Expert
  • 750 K6
    • My Gallery
« Reply #16 on: November 15, 2006, 10:42:42 pm »
Yea...changing people is not something Ill be trying to do. Just keep my mouth shut when I hear that vile N-word.

Gruhn is where Im interviewing...

Although I just got a job today at a local cabinet shop as project manager.....now what.....Follow my dream in Nashville? Or stay here and  take care of my family well..... Good pay here where I live( a great town) whith  all my friends and history  vs    dream job and less pay plus a large move and uncertainty....kinda a tough choice. But theres no guarantee at either job.
I need help. ??? ??? ???

That is definitely a tough call.  If you have kids you should probably stay where you are, won't be so bad if things go sour.  On the other hand, if you have any savings at all, it might be worth it to go to TN and give 'er a shot.  Lots of other work there if the guitar thing didn't work out.  Tough call for sure, good luck either way!

Offline Raul CB750K1

• Old Timer
« Reply #17 on: November 15, 2006, 11:49:32 pm »
Gruhn guitars, that was the name I couldn't remember. A small shop in a long street, surrounded by trees. Can't remember the street name though. It was close to a mall called 100 Oaks.

If I were you I would stay were you are. I learned a while ago that there are no dream jobs, but dream hobbies. Once your hobbie becomes your job, it's not fun anymore, and you will regret making less money you would make somewhere else. And if you have family, then even worst.

A few years ago I wanted to change my job and do what I always wanted: work in electronics R&D. What I found was that the salaries were ridiculous, as most of the people were just graduated. I would have loved to work on that field, but I was making almost double as a support engineer, with the added benefits of travel, not-so-tight schedule and a more relaxed environment. So I left the multimeter and the soldering iron for home leisure and chose the well paid job. I also enjoy it and don't regret the choice I made.

Raul

Offline tsflstb

• Expert
« Reply #18 on: November 16, 2006, 07:13:48 am »
Having been raised in eastern NC,

There is no good barbeque west of I-95 in  NC (and none north or south of NC). There are a few exceptions to this
in SC (I've tried the mustard base sauce in Columbia SC, they can keep it )

Now, some NC boys may have decided to move off and make Bar-B-Q in some far off land,
in that case it may be fittin to eat (I found some in Maine ) You may even find some in
Jawja, but, I doubt in in Texas, they seem to think B-B-Q is made from beef there .

Let the barbeque wars begin

Oh no you didn't...

One of my first assignments at work was a project in NC.  Young Texas native walked into a BBQ place and it was like some sick joke.  You guys really eat that bland pulled pork with vinegar on it? 

You've seen those cows running around?  They taste good.  Smoke a brisket for about 16 hours with a nice dry rub.  Try some all beef hot sausage and you'll want to slap your momma.  Even our pork chops and spare ribs are tender, juicy and you can't clean your windows with the sauce.  Oh man, you got me started now...I know what I'm having for lunch today.

Offline Rushoid

• Shameless
  • Expert
« Reply #19 on: November 16, 2006, 08:26:07 am »
I've never met a barbeque I didn't love. I've had just about all of 'em. KC style, St. Louis style, Owensboro (KY) style....mmmmmmm.... I'm sure there's good BBQ around Nashville, you just gotta find somebody that knows how to do it. Drive north 2 hours and I can point you to a few. Or I'll make it m'self!

That's a bittersweet position you're in. I'd have to say that if your family is behind you, take the leap! But they are going to be your deciding factor. They're the most important.

Also consider the cost of living. Might be cheaper in TN than where you are now.  ???
Go Cards!! Go Colts!! Go Bucks!!

SOHC/4 Member #3452

Offline GoatBaSS

• Could someone find an
  • Expert
« Reply #20 on: November 16, 2006, 10:08:47 am »
Fear is a great motivating factor. Check the vibe. Be honest with others and yourself. Is it a dare to be great situation? I know that without my support group of friends and family, I would be sunk. It is hard to replace that, even worse if you depend on them a great deal. Money blows, away. I do not envy your situation.
Leethal # 3046?

Rocking-M

« Reply #21 on: November 16, 2006, 12:36:04 pm »
I'd say cost of living will be much lower outside of Nashville a bit.
A friend just moved back here from Washington State and has
told me how high it is out there.

Offline Uncle Ernie

• Old Timer
« Reply #22 on: November 16, 2006, 01:42:01 pm »
I'm in Asheville NC, but moved from San Francisco to Charlotte.  My friend, culture shock hit me up side the head so bad I couldn't even see but stars for 2 years.  2 years of bad depression.  Gradually, I figured out part of it was just Charlotte- a Godless place full of christians.  Everything is different.  The smell of the air, the lack of fresh vegitables you get used to on the West Coast.  blah blah blah... But- I had to come here to meet my wife. I just didn't get it.  Things are more subtle here- lots of vintage cars and bikes, they're just not on the road as much as they are out there.  Less rock, but lots of real good musicians.  Real good.  They don't especially want to be famous, but get into the right living room, and shazaam.  Someone will have some White Lightnin. First time I ever saw an "all you can eat" KFC (depressing). The cooking is different, but good once you get used to the sensibilities.  People are judged more by who they are and what they do rather than how they dress- and that can get you into trouble until you get used to that, too.  There are genioouses in the mountains that are rather eccentric, but if you manage to make some friends, it's fun to see what they're about.  There're no oceans, but we have lots of killer roads around, much like your area (sans redwoods and eucaliptise of course. Too bad).  The standard of living is lower here, but overall prices often are less, too- although lots of people are moving here, so land/housing is going up a lot.
Did I see you got a Triumph?  There's a guy in Hartsville I can hook you up with who's nuts, but he knows a lot.  A LOT.
Winters can be a pain, but there are usually plenty of riding days, too.  BBQ is like everything else- you have to "KNOW" where to go.  Folks here like it that way, too.  One of the first things I learned was the difference between a Yankee and a damned Yankee.   ;) ::)
I rather still be in SF myself, but I can't afford it anymore.  You got a tough choice there, Grasshopper.
Dude- your 8 layers are showing!

Offline Bob Wessner

• "Carbs Suck!"
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #23 on: November 16, 2006, 01:45:38 pm »
One of the first things I learned was the difference between a Yankee and a damned Yankee.

Inquiring minds want to know, what is the difference?

Offline hondachopproject

• Enthusiast
« Reply #24 on: November 16, 2006, 02:10:23 pm »
One of the first things I learned was the difference between a Yankee and a damned Yankee.

Inquiring minds want to know, what is the difference?
Not sure, but even more confusing my brothers band is known as "THE SOUTHERN YANKEES"

as far as job change, I am going through the after effects of  a carrer change, with no support. NUMBER 1 issue is moral support from someone that believes in you and will back you wheter  you succed or fail.

Can you take a "temporary" break and go try it out first?
92 HERITAGE