Author Topic: HELP with 1966 CL160 carbs giving me fits after rebiuld  (Read 1727 times)

Offline RayWrangler

• 1970 k0 cb750
HELP with 1966 CL160 carbs giving me fits after rebiuld
« on: December 11, 2015, 02:53:29 pm »
Hey guys

picked up my GF a 66 CL160 off craigslist local. it ran.....not great. stalled and flooded out.

so i took the carbs off, dunked them in CHEM-DIP. bought a gasket kit off ebay, new throttle cable, found the floats were bad,,,,,so i bought new ones of those( do i need to set the height? they look the same, listing said ATC CL CB ....) i cleaned and re-used the needles and jets.

put carbs back together, than noticed i put the slide in backwards, fixed that.....( petcock sucks so i need to order a kit for that)

now i kick the bike over and it idles at like 4k way to high with chock open, close choke it goes down to like 3k, close choke stalls out.

with air pods off, it spits gas out.

i have played with the idle screw, opened out like 5 turns like they were.

any thoughts? the CB160 model i think is the same, CL175 is close too.

Offline MoMo

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Ride like you're invisible
Re: HELP with 1966 CL160 carbs giving me fits after rebiuld
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2015, 08:12:04 pm »
 make sure that the slide is fully seated, you may not have allowed for that when you replaced the cable, and the float height needs to be set(I may have the specs somewhere out in my shop).  A way to get in the ballpark if you do not have the specs is to have the arm of the float level with the carb body...Larry

Offline Mr. Mike

• Hot Shot
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2015, 12:58:24 am »
Another thing to check is overtightening the nuts holding the carb body to the insulators. It may cause the slides to hang up. As mentioned, routing path of the throttle cable can also cause slides to hang up. Check again with the tank off. Look into the carbs and see if they're sliding back down almost all the way and equally as you release tension on the throttle grip.
And did you fiddle with the air screw? I think it should be out from fully in (bottomed) about 1 to 1-1/4 turns max. The throttle cable should have just a small amount of free play or slack.
2002 Electra Glide
1978 750K
1966 CL77 (sold)
2020 CB500X

Offline bogamire

« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2015, 04:19:49 am »
The carb manifold has a rubber o ring gasket on the engine side that is notorious for causing tuning problems. Replace it with a paper gasket for better tuning. And make sure the manifold isn't over-tightened.
Float height is 21mm.
Also, the 160 and 175 are similar as long as they are the sloper models. The 175 eventually switched to a vertical engine later in its production run, with many changes.

Offline RayWrangler

• 1970 k0 cb750
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2016, 01:50:45 pm »
so i think i figured it out,

when i dunked them in chem-dip i think the chemical slowly eats away at grime, dirt, any maybe metal? the needles weren't shinny brass anymore they were a very very faded color, so what i did was seat my needles one step lower

and this actually now lets the idle stay rather than a high revving.

but now I'm having spark issues.

it never ends!