Author Topic: Picked up a '79 Yamaha XS1100  (Read 12163 times)

Offline nisperton

Re: Picked up a '79 Yamaha XS1100
« Reply #25 on: January 26, 2016, 12:53:03 am »
Good morning from Athens Greece
I just bought a xs1100 5k7 1981 and need manuals
Can you suggest where I could find them ?
Thanks
Alex

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline mrfish2

• I might be a
  • Hot Shot
« Reply #26 on: January 26, 2016, 05:31:17 am »
I purchased a Clymer manual from eBay. The XS11 forums are a great resource too if you haven't seen them yet (www.xs11.com/forum).

For those of you wondering where this build is at I've gathered most of the missing pieces so far (stock master cylinder, center stand, foot peg mounts, fuse box, etc.). Once I finish remodeling the inside of our old barn into a decent workshop I'll start working on the bike again. The plan right now is to clean the gas tank and carbs, rebuild the forks and all brakes, redo the electrics, and paint it.
1976 CB550K            1979 XS1100
1980 CB650C - Sold

It's a little motor and likes having the tits revved off it.

Offline mrfish2

• I might be a
  • Hot Shot
« Reply #27 on: February 21, 2016, 04:06:23 pm »
Finally found some time to work on the Yamaha. Moved it to my storage unit to have the extra space to work on it.

First order of business was to remove the gas tank. I'll post up a pic of the inside before I send it out to a radiator shop to get it boiled out. The inside looks like gas had varnished, then someone tried lining it with Redkote on top of the varnish. The gas I poured out of the tank was stained red from the liner failing.

So one thing I love about old bikes like these is that I get to discover all the weird fixes the previous owners tried. Here we have the the petcocks removed from the tank, and what appears to be some sort of silicone gasket along with the normal gasket. Trust me, it was pretty nasty before I scraped most of it off.

Next thing I found was when I removed the airbox to get the carbs off. The bottom of these airboxes are held in with wingnuts, like so:

The top side of the wingnuts are held in with a small clip, pictured on the left. On the right you can see where the PO decided that a bread tie was easier to use than a clip hahaha.

One other thing I discovered was the headlight. If any of you are familiar at all with the XS1100 series then you know that Yamaha made a Standard model, and a Special model. Each had different styling characteristics such as a round vs. square headlight, round vs. square turnsignals, and other such things. In my very first picture of the first post to this thread you can see that this bike has a round headlight, but is a Standard model. I assumed someone mounted the (in my opinion) better looking round headlight off of a Special, but upon closer inspection I discovered this:

Yep, you read that right. The headlight buckets is stamped Suzuki. They made it work, and it doesn't look too shabby, so I'll leave it on there.

Also discovered the original tool pouch when taking the carbs off, I always think they are pretty neat.

And finally, here she sits awaiting a clean gas tank and clean carbs. In the meantime I need to rebuild the stock front master cylinder I picked up from an XS11 forum member, as well as rebuild the rear master cylinder. Then rebuild the forks, and rewire the part of the main harness going to the nonexistent electrical panel (which I've also sourced from ebay).

« Last Edit: February 21, 2016, 04:08:19 pm by mrfish2 »
1980 CB650C - Sold

Offline MoMo

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Ride like you're invisible
« Reply #28 on: February 21, 2016, 05:27:56 pm »
starting to look decent, cleaning up quite well...Larry

Offline mrfish2

• I might be a
  • Hot Shot
« Reply #29 on: April 22, 2016, 02:48:02 am »
Work still continues on this, slowly but surely. My day job keeps me away more than I like, but I did find someone I work with who does excellent body work. See teaser pic below  ;)  (and trust me, it looks completely different in the sunlight) All they need are the final buffing and pin striping.

I've cleaned the carbs and remounted them, along with brand new Motion Pro throttle and clutch cables. The radiator shop was unable to boil out the liner from the inside of the gas tank and the liner has refused to even begin to flake off so I'm just gonna leave it as is, maybe hook up an inline fuel filter just in case. Bought a battery finally, next is getting all the electrical functions to work.

« Last Edit: April 22, 2016, 02:52:15 am by mrfish2 »
1980 CB650C - Sold