Author Topic: Removing exhaust studs - confined spaces  (Read 1885 times)

Offline eigenvector

• Master
  • Member of the despondent public
Removing exhaust studs - confined spaces
« on: April 29, 2016, 05:13:20 pm »
I am trying to remove a couple of broken exhaust studs, but am finding that the space is just a touch too small for my stud extractor.

what other options might I have for real tight confines?
Already tried vice grips - not enough room for the jaws.
Don't have a welder - can't weld on extension

From what I can tell, the studs themselves are not too difficult to get turning - my stud extractor removed the other 6 without too much difficulty

Rob
--------------------------------
2018 HD Softail Heritage
1979 CB750K Limited Edition
1977 CB550K
1984 CB700SC Nighthawk
1983 VF750S Sabre

Offline calj737

• Really Old Timer ...
  • I refuse...
Re: Removing exhaust studs - confined spaces
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2016, 05:01:46 am »
Pour heat to them with a propane torch. Then, try to get a good whack on them with the side of a dead blow, then us the stud extractor or double-nut method. If they don't turn quickly, heat them more. And I mean cherry red hot. Dousing with rust cutter helps too while they're hot.
'74 550 Build http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=126401.0
'73 500 Build http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=132935.0

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of it's victim may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated, but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." - C.S. Lewis

Offline Powderman

• Master
    • Creative Candy Powder Coating
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2016, 04:11:56 pm »
Use a propane torch to heat the aluminum around the stud, not the stud itself. Heating the stud will cause it to expand and be even tighter. Heating the surrounding aluminum will expand the aluminum much quicker relieving the tension on the stud and loosening any possible LocTite. Getting anything there red hot is not necessary The coolest "red hot" is black red and starts between 700-1000°F. I don't want anything on my motor that hot. The aluminum shouldn't need more than 250-350°F to be effective.

Offline eigenvector

• Master
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2016, 06:02:32 pm »
I'll give that a try later today.

I also tried a stud extractor - no go.  The studs are so rusty that the extractor just strips off the metal flakes.

In fact the reason I wasn't able to remove them before was because the studs sheared off with a small amount of force.

It's the reason why you don't use hardware store bolts on your exhaust manifold.   >:(
Rob
2018 HD Softail Heritage
1977 CB550K
1984 CB700SC Nighthawk
1983 VF750S Sabre

Offline mystic_1

• Really Old Timer ...
  • 1970 CB750K
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2016, 07:18:10 pm »
How about grinding some flats onto the sides of the stud and then turning it with a wrench?

mystic_1
"A ship in harbor is safe, but that is not what ships are built for."
- John Augustus Shedd

My build thread:  http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=68952.0

Offline Retro Rocket

• Eggs are hard due too a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • ROCK & ROLL
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2016, 07:25:13 pm »
How about grinding some flats onto the sides of the stud and then turning it with a wrench?

mystic_1

Easier to use two nuts, gives you more to grip on and does that exact same job without running the risk of screwing up the stud.... ;)
750 K2 1000cc
750 F1 970cc
750 Bitsa 900cc
If You can't fix it with a hammer, You've got an electrical problem.

Offline Powderman

• Master
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2016, 07:51:21 pm »

mystic_1

Easier to use two nuts, gives you more to grip on and does that exact same job without running the risk of screwing up the stud.... ;)
You obviously didn't look at his pic. The whole threaded end of the stud is snapped off, only shaft left.

Heat on the aluminum and a pair of Vise Grips would have that out in no time at all.

Offline eigenvector

• Master
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2016, 08:53:23 pm »
It's starting to turn.  Heat and penetrating oil are doing the trick - although my propane ran out so I wasn't able to go as far as I would have liked.

I'll pick it back up in the morning - but one of them at least is beginning to turn.  Once it get moving - say a full turn it should zip out no problem.
Rob
2018 HD Softail Heritage
1977 CB550K
1984 CB700SC Nighthawk
1983 VF750S Sabre

Offline Powderman

• Master
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2016, 09:26:49 pm »
Ya, once you've broken them free you should be able to turn out the rest of the way without issue. Turn out a turn then back in a 1/2 turn  until they are out or to binding anymore. Exhaust studs really do need to be a specific heat resistant material and not hardware store quality as mentioned.

Offline Retro Rocket

• Eggs are hard due too a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • ROCK & ROLL
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2016, 09:42:25 pm »

mystic_1

You obviously didn't look at his pic. The whole threaded end of the stud is snapped off, only shaft left.

Heat on the aluminum and a pair of Vise Grips would have that out in no time at all.

I did,  but I didn't click on it and enlarge it, my eyes aren't what they used to be {and getting worse} ... :(
I would have tacked a nut on the end of it and used a 6 point socket or spanner, along with some penetrene  { I don't have an torch}..
« Last Edit: April 30, 2016, 09:44:13 pm by Retro Rocket »
750 K2 1000cc
750 F1 970cc
750 Bitsa 900cc
If You can't fix it with a hammer, You've got an electrical problem.

Offline calj737

• Really Old Timer ...
  • I refuse...
« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2016, 04:19:52 am »
Ping me if you need some tock replacement studs. I've got a bundle of them recently removed from a 550 head. I never use the stock units always replacing them with ARPs.
'74 550 Build http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=126401.0
'73 500 Build http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=132935.0

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of it's victim may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated, but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." - C.S. Lewis

Offline eigenvector

• Master
« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2016, 07:36:56 am »
Naw, don't need the replacement studs.

Besides, these are M8 to M6 studs  ;D

There's a tooling supply shop down the road from me that I can use to get something better than was there.
Rob
2018 HD Softail Heritage
1977 CB550K
1984 CB700SC Nighthawk
1983 VF750S Sabre

Offline eigenvector

• Master
« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2016, 11:28:16 am »
Well that's one down.

I thought it was turning - nope.  It did one full revolution then snapped off cleanly flush with the head.

No matter - I drilled it out and used a square ez-out to remove it entirely.

I'll get the next one later.  I don't like rushing jobs like this - too many chances of making a mistake and wrecking something irreplaceable.
Rob
2018 HD Softail Heritage
1977 CB550K
1984 CB700SC Nighthawk
1983 VF750S Sabre

Offline 754

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #13 on: May 02, 2016, 12:22:55 pm »
Never turn it full turn when stuck, if you can get an eight turn, start going back and forth, then slowly try more.
 There will be debris stuck to it, and if you dont give it a chance to release, it will wipe out the thread coming out.
 Go easy, take the time to work back and forth...always easier than drilling it out.

If you have the blue wrench dont hesitate to turn stud a dull red 1/4 inch above the aluminum.. make sure you do net get the flame on the aluminum. Yes it will grow, but the expansion, followed by contraction, allows it to loosen its grip,, dont try turn while still very hot..
Maker of the WELDLESS 750 Frame Kit
dodogas99@gmail.com
Kelowna B.C.       Canada

My next bike will be a ..ANFOB.....

It's All part of the ADVENTURE...

73 836cc.. Green, had it for 3 decades!!
Lost quite a few CB 750's along the way