Author Topic: !980 Honda Express  (Read 1361 times)

Offline Wetwilly

!980 Honda Express
« on: May 04, 2016, 10:41:43 am »
Hello, I just picked up an 80 Honda Express.  It starts and runs ok but I notice a slight sputter with the throttle and no power up hills. I cant get it to go over 20 miles an hour on the flat. Carb rebuilds and pistons I can handle, what Im worried about is the transmission. How would I know if it was bad? can anyone tell me the things to look for and how to prioritize? I would be grateful for any advice. Thank you.

Offline Terry in Australia

• Really Old Timer ...
  • So, what do ya wanna talk about today?
Re: !980 Honda Express
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2016, 12:38:00 am »
Which model is it Willy? Single speed variable transmission or 2 speed? Come on mate, give us the facts! ;D
I was feeling sorry for myself because I couldn't afford new bike boots, until I met a man with no legs.

So I said, "Hey mate, you haven't got any bike boots you don't need, do you?"

"Crazy is a very misunderstood term, it's a fine line that some of us can lean over and still keep our balance" (thanks RB550Four)

Offline grcamna2

• Not a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • I love to restore & travel. Keep'em Going Strong !
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2016, 09:44:45 am »
 The 1980' NC50 is a single speed;I might have the parts you need for it.I also have the oem shop manual in my binder so let me know if you need specs.The one you have has the fuel tank behind the seat under the rear rack?
I have a nice lower end from my 82' NC50 Express 2-speed that's been completely dis- and re-assembled after full cleaning & inspecting w/ new gaskets,etc. if you want to go 2 speed automatic shift and kick start w/o the wind-up spring;it will swap right into your bike w/ no mods and the top-end will swap direct.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2016, 09:51:39 am by grcamna2 »
75' CB400F/'bunch o' parts' & 81' CB125S modded to a 'CB200S'
  I love the small ones too !
Do your BEST...nobody can take that away from you.

Offline strynboen

• Old Timer
    • http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?PHPSESSID=i8napdj0qm39m2s2tpebdg1o45&/topic,60973.0.html
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2016, 09:49:33 am »
cool small Things..i have a honda amigo...1 speed..or call it speed...it slowww..not a real sohc..its a push rod engine
i kan not speak english/but trying!!
http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=60973.0
http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=144758.0
i hate all this v-w.... vords

Offline grcamna2

• Not a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • I love to restore & travel. Keep'em Going Strong !
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2016, 09:55:17 am »
Hello, I just picked up an 80 Honda Express.  It starts and runs ok but I notice a slight sputter with the throttle and no power up hills. I cant get it to go over 20 miles an hour on the flat. Carb rebuilds and pistons I can handle, what Im worried about is the transmission. How would I know if it was bad? can anyone tell me the things to look for and how to prioritize? I would be grateful for any advice. Thank you.

Put it up on the stand on level ground and pull-out the trans. check plug to the right of the cylinder while facing the top-end just to see if you have enough oil in it.You probably have junk in that little tank and clogging your jets,how's your oil pump working and what oil are you running in the tank ?
75' CB400F/'bunch o' parts' & 81' CB125S modded to a 'CB200S'
  I love the small ones too !
Do your BEST...nobody can take that away from you.