Author Topic: front sprocket cover missing ... safe to ride ?  (Read 2920 times)

Offline IndianRider

• Enthusiast
front sprocket cover missing ... safe to ride ?
« on: November 15, 2006, 07:55:33 pm »
1976 CB750K series ..

the bike im looking at has the FRONT sprocket cover missing on the left side .. looks like there are 2 wiring harnesses coming out from that area which are probably held in place by the missing front sprocket cover... can the bike be ridden without this front sprocket cover after making sure the wiring harnesses are tied securely to prevent rubbing on the front chain/sprocket .. 

OR if anyone can help me find the source for a parts manual for the CB750K bikes i can look up the part diagrams ..

thanks in advance

Offline Nate

• Enthusiast
    • Alternative Cruisers BB
Re: front sprocket cover missing ... safe to ride ?
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2006, 08:14:22 pm »
I'm no expert, but i suppose it would work as long as your chain is in good shape and properly adjusted. If i were you i'd hit up ebay and find one pronto though. I would be paranoid about it

Offline kghost

• Really Old Timer ...
  • www.facebook.com/RetroMecanicaAustralia
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2006, 08:20:38 pm »
If ya did you might want to put a rubberband on the left pant leg.....you know just in case..... :D ;D
Stranger in a strange land

Offline Nate

• Enthusiast
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2006, 08:40:42 pm »
Yeah you'll be covered in chain grease. I took off my sprocket cover the other day to get to a vent hose, I couldn't believe the amount of grease and grime under there. I probably pulled out 4 or 5 ounces of crap.

Offline mrbreeze

• Not your average
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Shut up when you're talkin' to me!!
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2006, 09:29:33 pm »
Ah hell .......quit snibbblin'!!!! Look at the hog choppers with the primary belt hangin' out there.....if its gonna bite ya...it would have bit those fools a long time ago!!!!!!
MEMBER # 257
Fool me once..shame on you. Fool me twice..I'm kickin' your a$$......

Offline angeldeville

• Hot Shot
  • You meet the nicest people on a Honda!
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2006, 09:59:06 pm »
quit yer whining and ride!
76' cb750f custom
69' cb750 sandcast
69' CT90
Amen Saviour 750 Chopper frame
and enough parts to build about 6-7 more bikes

Offline Jay B

• Expert
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2006, 04:53:02 am »
Since you got the sproket cover off anyway, you'd just as well take care of those wiring harnesses you talked about. Cut out the bullet connecters on every wire there and solder them direct. Almost guarenteed to save you charging problems in the future.
Jay
'77 CB550K
'74 CB350F cafe
2001 Road King
'73 CB175

USN20

« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2006, 05:10:48 am »
1976 CB750K series ..

if anyone can help me find the source for a parts manual for the CB750K bikes i can look up the part diagrams ..

thanks in advance

Indian Rider, Try a online parts microfiche such as this example:

http://www.mrcycles.com/fiche_select.asp

Just enter the:

1. vehicle category
2. manufacturer
3. year model

Offline nteek754

• Hot Shot
  • 1973 K3/750/836/70 1970 750 chopper 1973 cafe
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2006, 06:19:39 am »
Like others said RIDE the damn thing my cover has been off all summer and Ive got six extras of them  dont know why I havnt put it back on  those wires aint going anywhere and  man you would have a hard time  getting your foot or even your pant leg down in there  now as for the oil shut that freaken engine oil off your chain  have fun seven fifty four ever Craig in Maine
seven fifty four ever its not the destination its the journey Ive been collecting these old dinasours for 33 years . they are quite an ICON

Offline IndianRider

• Enthusiast
« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2006, 12:33:05 pm »
thanks for the replies esp. the link to the parts diagrams

i am usually not paranoid about things ..ive had project bikes and used to go on test run around town without brakes so im not worried about the sprocket chewing me .. 

i havent purchased the bike yet or even seen it in person to know what it looks in there .. i only have pics showing that front sprocket cover missing so i was wondering if the sprocket cover had another purpose other than for covering the sprocket .. 

so does the sprocket cover have some kind of chain lubrication function also ? or is the grime u all are talking about just grease from the chain ?

Offline IndianRider

• Enthusiast
« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2006, 12:34:42 pm »
Since you got the sproket cover off anyway, you'd just as well take care of those wiring harnesses you talked about. Cut out the bullet connecters on every wire there and solder them direct. Almost guarenteed to save you charging problems in the future.

very informative post .. thanks a lot .. lets see if i get to buy the cb750 though ..

Offline IndianRider

• Enthusiast
« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2006, 12:36:28 pm »
Like others said RIDE the damn thing my cover has been off all summer and Ive got six extras of them  dont know why I havnt put it back on  those wires aint going anywhere and  man you would have a hard time  getting your foot or even your pant leg down in there  now as for the oil shut that freaken engine oil off your chain  have fun seven fifty four ever Craig in Maine

ill hit u up for one of your extra sprocket covers if i buy the bike .. cheers ...

Offline miles nowhere

• motorbikeist
  • Enthusiast
    • Miles Hunsberger Tattoos
« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2006, 02:55:27 pm »
my k8 hasnt had a sprocket cover for about 6 years...i just make sure my bootlaces are tucked in, and never had a problem.
78 cb 750k8, 78 cb 750F3, 78 cb 750F3, 74 cb 750k4

Offline IndianRider

• Enthusiast
« Reply #13 on: November 16, 2006, 05:06:10 pm »
my k8 hasnt had a sprocket cover for about 6 years...i just make sure my bootlaces are tucked in, and never had a problem.

thats cool then .. i wear boots without laces but my bell bottom pants might pose to be a problem .. lol ..cheers ..

Offline kghost

• Really Old Timer ...
  • www.facebook.com/RetroMecanicaAustralia
« Reply #14 on: November 16, 2006, 07:56:16 pm »
I'll say it again then.....Rubber band!

:D :D ;D ;D ;)
Stranger in a strange land

Offline hopterfixer

• Hot Shot
    • My flickr Gallery->
« Reply #15 on: November 16, 2006, 08:29:01 pm »
Ah hell .......quit snibbblin'!!!! Look at the hog choppers with the primary belt hangin' out there.....if its gonna bite ya...it would have bit those fools a long time ago!!!!!!

Funny you should mention that.  About five years ago I had a friend that built (had built) a "chopper"; panhead rigid frame, wide glide, 88" motor, 3" open primary, fat bobs, nice bike.  He pulled up to a stoplight one day and felt the normal tug on his pant leg from his primary, so he reached down to swipe his pant leg out like usual.  Something felt funny when he put his hand back on the bars.  When he pulled his glove off, the tips of his middle, third, and pinky finger were GONE!  Lot's of blood too.  He ended up, after a few surgeries by the Navy's finest with two gnarled fingers and a short pinky finger.  He has been called Stumpknuckle ever since. 
No open primaries for me thanks  ;D

Offline Nate

• Enthusiast
« Reply #16 on: November 16, 2006, 08:38:10 pm »
Yikes!  No open anything for that matter