Author Topic: Hello everyone!  (Read 1693 times)

Offline GroovieGhoulie

• Master
  • I have to return some videotapes.
Hello everyone!
« on: November 16, 2006, 02:39:48 am »
Checking in from beautiful Bagram Afghanistan.  I'm in a holding area until I move out to my FOB (Forward Operating Base).  It's an Air Force-run show and not bad.  I am now kicking myself for not joining the AF.  Anyone who has served (and even some who haven't) will know what I mean.  I mean they have a DISCOTHEQUE HERE!!  Swallow that for a minute.  Forward deployed in a combat zone, and the AF brings a nightclub.  Amazing.  They put it right next to the massage parlor and the Orange Julius shop.  And I am NOT kidding about any of the above.  I REALLY should have looked harder at the AF.  >:(  :D ;D

Well, I've been thinking about my recent financial "dilemma", and I decided, sort of.  Being that solid, but not perfect 750s are everywhere, and deals can be had, I would get a 750 to Cafe, since I figure I can do it piecemeal, thereby spreading the cash outlay over time.

As far as the CBX versus K0 goes, I can't decide, so I'll get both.  It'll take some time and some interesting financial maneuvering, but I think I can make it work.  Plus my dad has recently been in a VERY philanthropic mood, so that helps.  ;D

My brother wants a 1000cc machine, and is leaning toward a CBR, so there I go, I can ride his.  It's weird, but a buddy has a CBR and the more time I spent around it, just walking around, looking at it, sitting on it, feeling it, rubbing it, smelling it...well I actually fell OUT of 'love' with it.  It just didn't have something that I came to love in my old bikes.  Age, character, patina, whatever, but it was lacking and I NEED it.

I think Jay Leno said it best: "I don't trust any motorcycle I can't see through."

Well said Jay...

Anyway, stay tuned for updates from the 'Stan.  Y'all will have to help keep me sane.  Up to a year of not being able to swing my leg over a motorbike.  Pure torture I tell you.  ;D

Offline Terry in Australia

• Really Old Timer ...
  • So, what do ya wanna talk about today?
Re: Hello everyone!
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2006, 02:59:40 am »
G'Day GG, you're making me envious with your tales of adventure in the land of sand. (or is that rocks?) My old unit just returned from there, and all I hear in the sergeants mess at luchtime now is stories about that place, I'm so envious my skin is as green as "woodlands cam", ha ha!

I was chatting to an old friend today and he was telling me that he's now got 3 rows of medals, all attained in the last 10 years, and all I've got is my long serrvice medal, boohoo! Are there any vacancies in the US Defence Force mate? If I have to wait much longer for a deployment I'll just start my own damn war, ha ha! Keep your head down mate, I look forward to reading your "War Diary", ha ha! Cheers, Terry. ;D
I was feeling sorry for myself because I couldn't afford new bike boots, until I met a man with no legs.

So I said, "Hey mate, you haven't got any bike boots you don't need, do you?"

"Crazy is a very misunderstood term, it's a fine line that some of us can lean over and still keep our balance" (thanks RB550Four)

Offline SteveD CB500F

• Global Moderator
  • Old Timer
  • Ride on the Steel Breeze...
    • TVAM
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2006, 03:04:46 am »
Welcome to the real timezone GG!

You'll find those lazy-ass Americans join in about mid afternoon. (Except for BurmaShave who seems to post on the "Shameless Post Boost" thread in the middle of (his) night. Oh, and Bob Wessner of course, who does not sleep)
SOHC4 Member #2393
2015 Tiger 800 XRT
1971 CB500K0 (US Model)

Offline GroovieGhoulie

• Master
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2006, 03:09:12 am »
G'Day GG, you're making me envious with your tales of adventure in the land of sand. (or is that rocks?) My old unit just returned from there, and all I hear in the sergeants mess at luchtime now is stories about that place, I'm so envious my skin is as green as "woodlands cam", ha ha!

I was chatting to an old friend today and he was telling me that he's now got 3 rows of medals, all attained in the last 10 years, and all I've got is my long serrvice medal, boohoo! Are there any vacancies in the US Defence Force mate? If I have to wait much longer for a deployment I'll just start my own damn war, ha ha! Keep your head down mate, I look forward to reading your "War Diary", ha ha! Cheers, Terry. ;D

The Army is so short personnel that you (non-US citizen) actually might stand a chance!   ;D

Not meant as a jibe to you, but just as fact:  The Army is SO short people, they (under guidance from the DoD) recently began accepting recruits who scored in the lowest third of the skills/proficiency tests.  That means these new recruits are just above (or are) functionally retarded.  Bad days ahead for the military.

Do a search on "MacNamara's 100,000" and see how badly and how long that little experiment messed up the military.  Do we now have "RumsNamara's 100,000"?
« Last Edit: November 16, 2006, 03:11:40 am by GroovieGhoulie »

Offline Terry in Australia

• Really Old Timer ...
  • So, what do ya wanna talk about today?
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2006, 03:20:50 am »

Not meant as a jibe to you, but just as fact:  The Army is SO short people, they (under guidance from the DoD) recently began accepting recruits who scored in the lowest third of the skills/proficiency tests.  That means these new recruits are just above (or are) functionally retarded.  Bad days ahead for the military.

Well if that's what it takes to get me a deployment mate, I'm prepared to "dumb it down" for the duration, ha ha! ;D
I was feeling sorry for myself because I couldn't afford new bike boots, until I met a man with no legs.

So I said, "Hey mate, you haven't got any bike boots you don't need, do you?"

"Crazy is a very misunderstood term, it's a fine line that some of us can lean over and still keep our balance" (thanks RB550Four)

Offline SteveD CB500F

• Global Moderator
  • Old Timer
  • Ride on the Steel Breeze...
    • TVAM
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2006, 03:21:50 am »
The British Forces are the same.

About 10 years ago the new government held a "Strategic Review"   8)

Now we have Afganistan, Iraq, Somalia and various other godforsaken countries in Africa to "police"

Small scale compared to the US but the R&R breaks are getting shorter.

The newspapers guess that we are 5000 recruits short at the moment.
SOHC4 Member #2393
2015 Tiger 800 XRT
1971 CB500K0 (US Model)

Offline Rushoid

• Shameless
  • Expert
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2006, 05:15:31 am »
Hey, GG! Here's a link to keep you entertained: www.chairforce.com

Take care, and thanks!

Lee
Go Cards!! Go Colts!! Go Bucks!!

SOHC/4 Member #3452

Offline kuyarico

• Hot Shot
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2006, 05:47:06 am »
GG will you have internet access during your entire deployment? When my best friend was deployed in Baghdad, we communicated just about everyday. It made us all feel better about his deployment. Anyways, you have some pics of this fabled Discoteque?

Take care man.

Eric

Offline andy750

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2006, 06:03:33 am »
Hey GG good to see you posting from a war-torn country and Im sure everyone on this board will be keen to hear about your cultural experiences (food, people etc) and "adventures" as long as they dont involve you getting shot! Take care of yourself, and I agree about pics from the disco and massage parlour girls  ;)
cheers
Andy
Current bikes
1. CB750K4: Long distance bike, 17 countries and counting...2001 - Trans-USA-Mexico, 2003 - European Tour, 2004 - SOHC Easy Rider Trip , 2008 - Adirondack Tour 2-up , 2013 - Tail of the Dragon Tour , 2017: 836 kit install and bottom end rebuild. And rebirth: http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,173213.msg2029836.html#msg2029836
2. CB750/810cc K2  - road racer with JMR worked head 71 hp
3. Yamaha Tenere T700 2022

Where did you go on your bike today? - http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=45183.2350

Offline nickjtc

• I was numero dieci
  • Old Timer
  • Yamaha XT500 'Gromit'
« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2006, 06:27:01 am »
Good luck out there and take care....watch your back. We'll all have to ride in spirit for you.
Nick J. Member #3247

2008 Triumph Tiger 1050
1977 Suzuki GS750

"That which does not kill us reminds us to wear proper motorcycle clothing...."

Offline toycollector10

• Expert
« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2006, 04:16:56 pm »
Hi GG, keep your powder dry. Just get back home safely after your tour of duty. From what I can make out there just has to be some sort of withdrawal from there soon. Keep safe.
1969  CB 750 K0
1973  CB175
1973  Z1 Kawasaki

Offline ic455

• Expert
  • 750 K6
    • My Gallery
« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2006, 07:35:17 pm »
Hey GG!  Disco 'til dawn, eh?  Hope everything is going well out there, keep up the good work.  Incidently, I was wondering what kind of sidearms ya'll are carrying nowadays?  A friend of mine says Glock, but I wasn't sure if that was correct or not.  Take care!!

Offline toycollector10

• Expert
« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2006, 11:41:35 pm »
Yep, we need pictures dude!!
1969  CB 750 K0
1973  CB175
1973  Z1 Kawasaki

Offline hopterfixer

• Hot Shot
    • My flickr Gallery->
« Reply #13 on: November 17, 2006, 08:35:09 am »
Can I throw in a third on the Air Force's easy living?  We (in the USMC) called it the Air Force Corporation.  We flew off of the boat once and spent a night in Kuwait at Ali Al Salem. The Air Force had heated and air conditioned tents. that were in better shape than some barracks I have lived in!  Of course one was condemned at the time, but that is another story.  Good Luck out there. 

Offline burmashave

• Forum Immoderator
  • Old Timer
    • burmashave.net
« Reply #14 on: November 17, 2006, 11:46:25 am »
Hey Groovie, thanks for checkin' in.  Are those AF discos similar to the "inflate and go" surgical units used by the Army?  Be safe, and thanks for serving.

You'll find those lazy-ass Americans join in about mid afternoon. (Except for BurmaShave who seems to post on the "Shameless Post Boost" thread in the middle of (his) night. Oh, and Bob Wessner of course, who does not sleep)

Steve, that's so sweet; I didn't know you cared.  But it's early PM here now.  Should I wait until early AM to post it?  ;)
Quote from: SOHC Digger, RIP
'Ere's whatcha do, Guvna', just throw a couple dookie logs in the hearth and bob's your uncle!
'77 CB750k

Offline heffay

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #15 on: November 17, 2006, 12:20:09 pm »
hey gg... good to hear from you.  i don't envy you one bit as i have several "discotechs" and no sign of a war nearby... aside from the occasional kitty batting around bugs. 

come back safe and use those dumb ones for cover!
Today: '73 cb350f, '96 Ducati 900 Supersport
Past Rides: '72 tc125, '94 cbr600f2, '76 rd400, '89 ex500, '93 KTM-125exc, '92 zx7r, '93 Banshee, '83 ATC250R, 77/75 cb400f

Offline GroovieGhoulie

• Master
« Reply #16 on: November 18, 2006, 03:04:09 am »
Thanks for the well-wishes everyone!

I am doing ok and should be moving out to my AO in a day or three.  Shouldn't be a long tour, but I know the withdrawal will suck.  On the upshot, I will come back and be able to buy a mess of bikes.  After reading the recently-active CBX thread, I am motivated more than ever to get one.

Offline 6pkrunner

• Expert
« Reply #17 on: November 18, 2006, 09:11:08 am »
I wish I had of kept my CBX, but it probably would have not survived the ravages of time from 1979 to now intact and unscathed.
Hope all goes well with your deployment in Afghanistan and that you get cycled back after your tour quickly.

Good luck!