Author Topic: I watched Brent Waller's and his son's bike on the dyno today...  (Read 8033 times)

Offline gschuld

• Master
Re: I watched Brent Waller's and his son's bike on the dyno today...
« Reply #25 on: June 02, 2016, 07:14:22 am »
Good luck guys :)

George

Offline Tintop

• Old Timer
« Reply #26 on: June 02, 2016, 04:56:06 pm »
Brent and his son left for the track yesterday. Hope the weather is OK

P#ssing rain today, but weather reports for Friday & weekend look very good.  Expect to be at the track Saturday to check things out.
1977 CB550/4 Cafe - Speed Warrior / BOTM 03/11
1980 CB750F (project)
Whittaker GBF Vintage Racing Sidecar (XS750 power) - ITG / 151's / CMR Racing Products (SOLD)
1976 CB400 SS - stock / BOTM 04/11 (SOLD)
1973 CB750 K - basket case (SOLD)
77 CB550 Cafe build
550/750 Filter Thread
Sidecar Rebuild Thread

Offline Old Scrambler

• My CB750K3 has been in 39 States & 5 Provinces
  • Old Timer
« Reply #27 on: June 03, 2016, 07:53:48 am »
We are following.............any plans to get to Road America for next weekend?
Dennis in Wisconsin
'64 Triumph Cub & '74 Honda CB750 Bonneville Salt Flats AMA Record Holder (6)
CB750 Classic Bonneville Racer thread - http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,135473.0.html
'63 CL72 Project(s)
'66 CL77 Red
'67 Triumph T100C
'73 750K3 Owned since New
'77 750F2 Cafe Project
2020 ROYAL ENFIELD Himalayan

Offline MRieck

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Big ideas....
« Reply #28 on: June 03, 2016, 08:37:47 am »
Brent and his son left for the track yesterday. Hope the weather is OK

P#ssing rain today, but weather reports for Friday & weekend look very good.  Expect to be at the track Saturday to check things out.
Excellent news Brian. Hope to hear some good news on Monday
Owner of the "Million Dollar CB"

Offline Kemp

• Hot Shot
« Reply #29 on: June 03, 2016, 12:45:59 pm »
Best of luck Brent, go get em!

Offline bwaller

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #30 on: June 03, 2016, 03:48:11 pm »
Hi guys, two days of practice in the bag. Getting up to speed. A little extra compression helps drive off the corners. Bike keeps getting better, rider....well we're hanging on! Everybody has picked up their game, things are getting hot!

Racing starts tomorrow, weather turns bad for Sunday.

We lost a young lion today. RIP Luis.

Offline MRieck

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Big ideas....
« Reply #31 on: June 03, 2016, 03:50:25 pm »
You beat me sir. The loss of life is beyond words    I can't think of anything to say.
 My original post.....Brent emailed me....his bike is better than ever....and keeps getting better as it runs. He is aware of win it or bin it....when you get in your late 50's early 60's it is a fact. ;D Sounds like the bike is awesome with the extra compression. Typing while looking at my left index finger black from porting another head. ;D ;D

« Last Edit: June 03, 2016, 03:53:41 pm by MRieck »

Offline simon#42

• Old Timer
  • liverpool
« Reply #32 on: June 03, 2016, 04:17:18 pm »
very sad , the second this week after dean martin died in practice for the pre TT last Saturday .
racing goes on though , hope the weather is good and the bike flies brent !

Offline Jerry Rxman Griffin aka MuthaF'er

• This MuthaF'er is getting to be a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Bought her new 4/75
« Reply #33 on: June 03, 2016, 06:57:27 pm »
Yes, sad indeed.

We all know the risk we take when we throw a leg over.

Good luck Brent and son. Stay safe and kick some ass!
As of today 3/13/2012 my original owner 75 CB750F has made it through 3 wives, er EX-wives. Free at last.  ;-)

Offline Tintop

• Old Timer
« Reply #34 on: June 04, 2016, 01:35:02 pm »
Watched Brent's heat race, engine sounds great Mike.  1st in class, 2nd overall, big smile. 8) 8) ;D ;D ;D
1980 CB750F (project)
Whittaker GBF Vintage Racing Sidecar (XS750 power) - ITG / 151's / CMR Racing Products (SOLD)
77 CB550 Cafe build
550/750 Filter Thread
Sidecar Rebuild Thread

Offline gschuld

• Master
« Reply #35 on: June 04, 2016, 03:47:07 pm »
Tintop,

Take a photo or two of Brent and his bike if you get a chance. 

Go get em Brent.... 8)

George

Offline Tintop

• Old Timer
« Reply #36 on: June 04, 2016, 06:22:14 pm »
Tintop,
Take a photo or two of Brent and his bike if you get a chance. 
Go get em Brent.... 8)
George

Could only get out there today for a short time (family tomorrow), and didn't have a camera handy. :(  That said the bike looked great, nicest on the grid in my opinion.
1980 CB750F (project)
77 CB550 Cafe build
550/750 Filter Thread
Sidecar Rebuild Thread

Offline scottly

• Global Moderator
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Humboldt, AZ
« Reply #37 on: June 04, 2016, 06:27:57 pm »
Geez, this thread is a bit of a letdown. :( No pics, no dyno charts, nothing but reports of "looks good, sounds good". ::) ;D ;D
Don't fix it if it ain't broke!
Helmets save brains. Always wear one and ride like everyone is trying to kill you....

Offline MRieck

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Big ideas....
« Reply #38 on: June 04, 2016, 06:43:25 pm »
Geez, this thread is a bit of a letdown. :( No pics, no dyno charts, nothing but reports of "looks good, sounds good". ::) ;D ;D
Go out there and document. You're retired with nothing but time. ;D

Offline scottly

• Global Moderator
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Humboldt, AZ
« Reply #39 on: June 04, 2016, 06:52:44 pm »
Retired, yeah, right...  :P Just got done with a job of 10-13 hour days in 90+ degrees heat for the last two months, and only now starting to catch my breath after a week of "leisure". ;)
Don't fix it if it ain't broke!
Helmets save brains. Always wear one and ride like everyone is trying to kill you....

Offline Jerry Rxman Griffin aka MuthaF'er

• This MuthaF'er is getting to be a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Bought her new 4/75
« Reply #40 on: June 04, 2016, 07:59:13 pm »
smoke em if you got em
As of today 3/13/2012 my original owner 75 CB750F has made it through 3 wives, er EX-wives. Free at last.  ;-)

Offline bwaller

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #41 on: June 05, 2016, 07:16:25 am »
Really lousy weather this a.m. Radar shows improvement in an hour. I'd have raced in the snow at one time, but the new me says f racing in shifty conditions and I don't give a shine what anyone thinks.  ;) Tyler is struggling with good carburetion setup. Will throw the cv's for today. Funny how the flatslides pulled so well on the dyno, and on the track is hard to ride.

I had a good day, won my class. For the second start I was mired back on the 6th row because I had no 2015 points. Worked like a slut and got into 2nd on the last lap. Times getting better, but have been off my old pace.

I'll try to get some pictures, but there isn't a lot of friggin extra time.

Had a good exchange with a US rider on a very trick 500 BMW. This guy killed me every practice, very nice rider, smooth. We did the back n forth for a lap, but I nailed the hairpin and with a great drive out I never heard him again. Turned my fastest 2 laps playing rabbit :) very satisfying!

Offline gschuld

• Master
« Reply #42 on: June 05, 2016, 08:57:19 am »
Glad you are doing well Brent.  It might take a bit to brush the dust off and get back up to speed.  No worries.  Sounds like you must have had a real push to get from 6th row to 2nd.  Nice.

Don't worry about the action shots.  But the race report is definitely welcome.  Good luck with getting the weather to cooperate today.

George

Offline Restoration Fan

• My wife will never call me
  • Master
« Reply #43 on: June 05, 2016, 04:53:15 pm »
It deserves to go back to its creator to test.  Well worth the drive.
George
Take me! Take me! I road trip!!!! Besides, just as you get there, lobsters and steamers will be in high season  ;D

Just don't let cal drive.  He won't stop and let people have bathroom breaks!  ::)
Ron

Stella - Logan's Senior Project    78 750K http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=141761.0

Logan's Reward - CB500 and CB550 Cafes    http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,147787.0.html

Offline calj737

• Really Old Timer ...
  • I refuse...
« Reply #44 on: June 05, 2016, 05:04:11 pm »
Just don't let cal drive.  He won't stop and let people have bathroom breaks!  ::)
Tattletale!  >:(
'74 550 Build http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=126401.0
'73 500 Build http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=132935.0

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of it's victim may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated, but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." - C.S. Lewis

Offline bwaller

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #45 on: June 06, 2016, 05:42:11 am »
OK it's official...I've never been this tired in my life!

Didn't win, didn't crash (but probably should have) and am very happy for my friend Tim Voyer who is back to his winning ways.

In case anyone would like the wrap up, I'll maybe resurrect that other thread once I can function.

Offline gschuld

• Master
« Reply #46 on: June 06, 2016, 06:17:06 am »
Brent,

Glad to hear you survived it.... ;D.    Gettin' old is a #$%*  :P

I'm looking forward to the race report and sure glad you didn't crash. 

George

Offline turboguzzi

• Old Timer
« Reply #47 on: June 06, 2016, 02:00:55 pm »
sounds good brent, competition must be now worried about you getting back to your REAL old self :)
so what are the other fast bikes in your class this year?
odd how these beemer contraptions with a sort of sidestand sticking out on each side can get around so fast :) 500 dutch champion couple years a go was bmw mounted too...

how did tyler do then? dyno can mostly solve main jet choice, hard to do partial throttles tests with an inertia one...

Offline Restoration Fan

• My wife will never call me
  • Master
« Reply #48 on: June 06, 2016, 05:29:16 pm »

odd how these beemer contraptions with a sort of sidestand sticking out on each side can get around so fast :) 500 dutch champion couple years a go was bmw mounted too...

After speaking with a friend of mine who rebuilt 2 old BMW boxers and riding a BMW R1200 GS the other day, I think I understand it.  That boxer engine, with the dual pistons facing away from each other and down so low on the engine...that gives the engine (and thus the bike) a somewhat lower center of gravity.

I found that the BMW is much, much easier to lean down in a curve and come out than my 750, even though it's about the same weight.
Ron

Stella - Logan's Senior Project    78 750K http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=141761.0

Logan's Reward - CB500 and CB550 Cafes    http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,147787.0.html

Offline bwaller

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #49 on: June 07, 2016, 05:30:02 am »
I'm waiting until someone posts some pics for an update.  ;) Pics or it didn't happen, I know!

TG, the BM was built by a guy in the VRRA and I asked Gunther for some pictures of it as well. He's a cool guy and the bike is very trick, chain drive. What I remarked most was how compliant the suspension is, makes my old Honda stuff look like the poster child for stiction.  ::)

Tyler felt he spent money and went backwards, man was he grumpy. We all know how it goes...it is not that any of the work done isn't correct, it's because we ran out of time to do a track day and bring it all together. Plus we set lobe centers to 102/106 as Megacycle suggested, Mike & Rick both said no-no-no 100 degrees for both in & ex. We decided to wait until after this race to re adjust the valves then set the cams up again. 100 degree LC's should actually help tone down the "nitrous like" spike in power delivery when the cams come on.

That plus the flat slides made it hard to ride. On the dyno there was a very rich dip for about 2500 rpm that cleaned up at about 11K rpm.....sometimes.... We thought rolling the throttle on wouldn't exasperate that part throttle area but it did. It bobbled away, and if it cleared the power came in a rush. I suppose 100+mph air flow had another effect. It was awesome on the dyno, miserable on the track. We chased needle position, didn't have other needles to try, in the end put the stock CV's on for rainy Sunday and it was a little easier to ride.

Another problem that had previously showed itself was clutch slip. Last year in the first couple laps it might slip some but once heated disappeared. On the weekend it got progressively worse. Discs & plates were good, I think a notched clutch basket is the problem but we couldn't find a good one. Will address that next plus TimV stepped up & is supplying another one that looks quite good.

Teething issues, it'll get there. We need a track day or a quiet piece of road and some time to get those FCR's dialed in once the cams & clutch issues are resolved.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2016, 05:33:33 am by bwaller »