Author Topic: Time for a back-up  (Read 1012 times)

Offline Tim2005

• Expert
Time for a back-up
« on: November 17, 2006, 03:30:15 pm »
Just thought I'd remind everyone to back up their PC occasionally. My hard drive failed totally a week or so back & took everything with it, luckily I'd backed up some stuff a few days earlier, pure luck as that was the 1st time in 2 or 3 years, but I lost loads of things (inc. all those nice summertime digital photos of the bikes, sob). Most irritatingly I lost all my folders of links/favourites/bookmarks, and have discovered it's worth keeping details like your isp logon written down somewhere. 

Now off to reinstall more software... now go and back up your HDD.

Offline MrZxp

• Hot Shot
Re: Time for a back-up
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2006, 08:05:53 pm »
Good advice! I run a little proggie daily, courtesy of Windows Scheduler, called SyncBackSE - (www.2BrightSparks.com) which backs up to my second hard drive.

What methods, if any, did you use to try to recover your files? I've had success using a "live" version of Linux (OS on a CD, Mepis) which enabled me to get files off a dying/dead HDD... just a thought..

Cheers, Phil
09 Boulevard M90
SOHC4 Member #3336

Offline Tim2005

• Expert
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2006, 02:01:52 pm »
Thanks for the tip about the backup software, I'm installing a 2nd hard drive & will try that.

As for recovery, have tried putting the HDD into another pc as a 2nd drive & using several decent tools - only one could even find that the drive existed & then couldn't detect anything further. Cheers anyway.

Offline nippon

• Hot Shot
    • Classic Cycle City
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2006, 03:18:19 pm »
Hi,
in order to recover your lost and even formated files use "Lost&Found" or "FileRecovery".
Did it two years ago and 90% of my files were recovered.
Good luck.

nippon

GraveRobber

« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2006, 04:14:32 pm »
If your hard drive is not spinning, here is a trick to maybe buy you enough time to DL your files.
Take the drive, put in a ziplock bag and put in freezer overnight then reinstall. you will have to be quick about it if it starts working, be ready to transfer files.