Author Topic: Jim French, Mike Rieck, Rick Stetson brought my old race head back to life  (Read 8277 times)

Offline gschuld

• Master
I brought to Mike a vintage Butch Pace ported head (RC Engineering's midwest distributor and held a national record or two in the mid 70s on single engine cb750 dragbikes) that had some stripped threads, piston indent damage from an apparent broken rod on #4, and tired guides, old Manley valves and old RC red retainers.  A pretty worn out old race head.

Jim French repaired the chamber damage, and Rick and especially Mike did the rest.  Everything is new, short the "pre owned" titanium retainers I supplied.

I am thrilled with the finished product.  It's hard not to appreciate top level work from equal caliber guys.

George

Offline gschuld

• Master
It was for an 836 originally, but Mike brought it up to 33.5 intakes and reblended the intake tract along with opening up the chambers to big bore size.

I love it.

George

Offline kmb69

• Master
Those boys all do stellar work. That's almost too purdy to run, ain't it?  ;)

Offline grcamna2

• Not a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • I love to restore & travel. Keep'em Going Strong !
That looks like another beautiful master-piece from the quality workshop of Mike Rieck and others  ;) :) 8)
75' CB400F/'bunch o' parts' & 81' CB125S modded to a 'CB200S'
  I love the small ones too !
Do your BEST...nobody can take that away from you.

Offline 754

• Really Old Timer ...
 Are the 33.5s Manley ? I still got a set from back in the day..
Maker of the WELDLESS 750 Frame Kit
dodogas99@gmail.com
Kelowna B.C.       Canada

My next bike will be a ..ANFOB.....

It's All part of the ADVENTURE...

73 836cc.. Green, had it for 3 decades!!
Lost quite a few CB 750's along the way

Offline HondaMan

• Someone took this pic of me before I became a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • ...not my choice, I was nicknamed...
    • Getting 'em Back on the Road
Are the 33.5s Manley ? I still got a set from back in the day..

I'll say they are manly! :D
Mr. Rieck's work is second to no one! Beautiful job, all of it. :)
See SOHC4shop@gmail.com for info about the gadgets I make for these bikes.

The demons are repulsed when a man does good. Use that.
Blood is thicker than water, but motor oil is thicker yet...so, don't mess with my SOHC4, or I might have to hurt you.
Hondaman's creed: "Bikers are family. Treat them accordingly."

Link to Hondaman Ignition: http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=67543.0

Link to My CB750 Book: https://www.lulu.com/search?adult_audience_rating=00&page=1&pageSize=10&q=my+cb750+book

Link to website: www.SOHC4shop.com

Offline MRieck

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Big ideas....
They are actually the valves APE sells guys. they certainly do look like Manley's. Just check the piston to head clearance carefully George. I tried to build a wedge squish area into the chambers to help push charge into the middle of the chamber. ;) I also wanted to keep compression up (leave as much material in there) as it will be used for racing. Wish I had a before pic of the chamber damage....Jim did a fantastic job repairing it. That man is good!
Owner of the "Million Dollar CB"

Offline gschuld

• Master
Mike,

I have "before" pics to share, but they are in my laptop, which is getting serviced right now.  I'll post them as soon as I can.  It was a nice serious 360 degree indent.  Thanks again Jim ;)

Overall, it had enough damage to clearly not be "cost effective" to rebuild.  That hasn't stopped me before ::), there is just something about rescuing a vintage speed part that interests me.  Luckily, Jim, Rick, and especially Mike took pity on the old head and brought her back to fine fighting form.

If you want top shelf work, you can't go wrong with these guys....

George
« Last Edit: May 30, 2016, 09:09:10 am by gschuld »

Offline dusterdude

• Really Old Timer ...
Cool

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

mark
1972 k1 750
1949 fl panhead
1 1/2 gl1100 goldwings
1998 cbr600 f3

Offline SOHC4 Cafe Racer Fan

• Speak up, Whipper-Snapper! I'm a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • SOHC/4 Member #1235
Hot damn, George.  What other awesome go fast goodies are also going into this motor?
1975 CB550K1 "Blue" Stockish Restomod (http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=135005.0)
1975 CB550F1 frame/CB650 engine hybrid "The Hot Mess" (http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,150220.0.html)
2008 Triumph Thruxton (http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,190956.0.html)
2014 MV Agusta Brutale Dragster 800
2015 Yamaha FZ-09 (http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,186861.0.html)

"There are some things nobody needs in this world, and a bright-red, hunch-back, warp-speed 900cc cafe racer is one of them — but I want one anyway, and on some days I actually believe I need one.... Being shot out of a cannon will always be better than being squeezed out of a tube. That is why God made fast motorcycles, Bubba." Hunter S. Thompson, Song of the Sausage Creature, Cycle World, March 1995.  (http://www.latexnet.org/~csmith/sausage.html and https://magazine.cycleworld.com/article/1995/3/1/song-of-the-sausage-creature)

Sold/Emeritus
1973 CB750K2 "Bionic Mongrel" (http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=132734.0) - Sold
1977 CB750K7 "Nine Lives" Restomod (http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=50490.0) - Sold
2005 RVT1000RR RC51-SP2 "El Diablo" - Sold
2016+ Triumph Thruxton 1200 R (http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,170198.0.html) - Sold

Offline gschuld

• Master
Hot damn, George.  What other awesome go fast goodies are also going into this motor?

Well, it's kind of top secret.  But you won't tell anyone. ..will ya? 

Here is a tease... ;)

George
« Last Edit: May 30, 2016, 09:18:55 am by gschuld »

Offline dragracer

• Really Old Timer ...
  • CB750F Dragbike
The head looks great George/ Mike. Jim did a jam up job on the welding repair. Should be interesting to see how the one runs once the overall package is worked out.

Offline Jerry Rxman Griffin aka MuthaF'er

• This MuthaF'er is getting to be a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Bought her new 4/75
#$%*!!!! Gonna be seriously badass....
As of today 3/13/2012 my original owner 75 CB750F has made it through 3 wives, er EX-wives. Free at last.  ;-)

Offline Bill/BentON Racing

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Ex Honda Service Manager, Cert. Honda Tech - Racer
    • BentON Racing
Yeh, badass we like. Don't forget there's a certain bike/engine named Samauto that's also being built, last time I checked the guy doing it could turn a wrench pretty well!  Pretty good at enlarging holes too! It might be even mo badass, there's around 3-5 big bore badasses being built as we speak, all 4 digit bore sizes and some will be in action this year! Stay tuned and G'luck with em guys....you know who you are! Bill
BentON Racing Website
OEM Parts | Service | Custom Builds
BentON Racing Facebook
Over 35 years of experience working on vintage motorcycles, with a speciality in Honda SOHC/4 with a focus on the CB750 and other models as well from 1966 - 1985.
1993 HRC RS125 | 1984 NS400R | 1974 Honda CB750/836cc (Calendar Girl) | 1972 CB 500/550 Yoshi Kitted 590cc | 1965 Honda CB450 Black Bomber | 1972 Suzuki T350 | 1973 88cc | Z50/Falcons Pit Bike | 1967 CA100| 1974 CB350 (400F motor)...and more.

Offline BPellerine

• Master
beautiful stuff,great work to keep this stuff alive!bill
1978 CB 750K ard and webers
another anfob

Offline Medyo Bastos

• Master
  • Gusto mo titi ko?
    • project
copper o-rings?

...Save a tree, eat a beaver...

Offline Bill/BentON Racing

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Ex Honda Service Manager, Cert. Honda Tech - Racer
    • BentON Racing
Stainless steel probably.
BentON Racing Website
OEM Parts | Service | Custom Builds
BentON Racing Facebook
Over 35 years of experience working on vintage motorcycles, with a speciality in Honda SOHC/4 with a focus on the CB750 and other models as well from 1966 - 1985.
1993 HRC RS125 | 1984 NS400R | 1974 Honda CB750/836cc (Calendar Girl) | 1972 CB 500/550 Yoshi Kitted 590cc | 1965 Honda CB450 Black Bomber | 1972 Suzuki T350 | 1973 88cc | Z50/Falcons Pit Bike | 1967 CA100| 1974 CB350 (400F motor)...and more.

Offline gschuld

• Master
copper o-rings?

...Save a tree, eat a beaver...

Copper was used by RC originally.  SS o-rings have been used with success along with fresh Cometic copper base and head gaskets, but I will probably stick with copper o-rings unless a compelling argument for SS is made.

George

Offline gschuld

• Master
And maybe some massaged 12:1 RC Arias 73s...

George

Offline Jim F

• Need a bigger house for more toys
  • Master
  • go baby go
It's always a pleasure to get these old dogs to hunt again and I am
Thrilled to be a part of it. Thanks so much guys
Can't wait to see this one run
Jim
2002 RC51 1000 (SP2)
1983 GS1100EC Suzuki
2002 998 Dukati (Customers Bike)
1992 KTM500 2 stroke
1975 CB750/836 Honda
1978 GS750/840 Suzuki

Offline grcamna2

• Not a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • I love to restore & travel. Keep'em Going Strong !
Those pistons should make that engine 'dance forward' nicely George.  8)
75' CB400F/'bunch o' parts' & 81' CB125S modded to a 'CB200S'
  I love the small ones too !
Do your BEST...nobody can take that away from you.

Offline gschuld

• Master
Those pistons should make that engine 'dance forward' nicely George.  8)

Jim,

Your my hero.

Grcamna2,

Let's hope so.  They got treated to a Swaintech PC9 anti friction skirt coating, new rings, pins, buttons.

George

Offline dragracer

• Really Old Timer ...
  • CB750F Dragbike
Yeh, badass we like. Don't forget there's a certain bike/engine named Samauto that's also being built, last time I checked the guy doing it could turn a wrench pretty well!  Pretty good at enlarging holes too! It might be even mo badass, there's around 3-5 big bore badasses being built as we speak, all 4 digit bore sizes and some will be in action this year! Stay tuned and G'luck with em guys....you know who you are! Bill

Sure do hope all those bikes/ motors you mentioned will be able to get done and make at least the last race. I've got two I really want to get done myself in addition to freshening up my current F model.

Lets do this fellas!!!

Offline gschuld

• Master
Re: Jim French, Mike Rieck, Rick Stetson brought my old race head back to life
« Reply #23 on: January 25, 2017, 10:35:30 am »
Unfortunately my "before" photos on the Pace head were lost for good >:(.  But I do have an example of an even more "ambitious" repair Jim French did to a historically significant Byron Hines ported (in early 1973) RC race head(broke a few records in 1973)

All 4 chambers had surface damage, fins were broken, threads hurt, etc.  Total carnage :o.  I started with the chamber and deck damage through Jim, then repaired all the fins once home.  Still to go is some tricky thread repairs and the usual stellar JMR valve and seat, springs, and assembly work.

But anyway, check out the impossibly small beads of weld in the chamber.  Laser welding, very impressive.

George

Offline MRieck

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Big ideas....
Re: Jim French, Mike Rieck, Rick Stetson brought my old race head back to life
« Reply #24 on: January 25, 2017, 02:31:20 pm »
I never get tired of seeing Jim's work. Russ Collins Jr was up my way today. We stopped by and saw Rick stetson as well as the work on the "new" cases for the triple. Things are proceeding. ;)
Owner of the "Million Dollar CB"