Author Topic: Need a transmission rebuild CB 550.  (Read 908 times)

Offline Way Way norcal

Need a transmission rebuild CB 550.
« on: June 01, 2016, 06:41:57 am »
Looks like I am needing a low end rebuild.  Can someone please let me know who is reputable and reliable? Preferably northern California but I am willing to ship.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2016, 08:30:10 pm by Way Way norcal »

Offline DaveBarbier

• Really Old Timer ...
You could PM Hondaman if you're willing to ship farther than Cali. I forget where he's actually located.

Are you unwilling to do it yourself? The motor comes out easily, you can flip it over, remove the lower case (now upper since it's inverted) and access the tranny right there. You can get a cheap but good tranny off eBay. I got mine for $55 two years ago. No need to pull crank or anything else.

Online calj737

• Really Old Timer ...
  • I refuse...
What needs to be "rebuilt"? How was it diagnosed and by whom?
'74 550 Build http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=126401.0
'73 500 Build http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=132935.0

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of it's victim may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated, but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." - C.S. Lewis

Offline Way Way norcal

the diagnoiss so far is a very easy shift, the shifting moves between gears way too easy  and it is coming out of gear in second gear.  The shifting I think might be the detent spring (stopper spring).   I have the motor out at the moment and I wanted to get the transmission freshened up. Other than those issues I don't hear or see any others.

Online calj737

• Really Old Timer ...
  • I refuse...
Are you not comfortable to simply replace the transmission personally?

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of it's victim may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated, but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." - C.S. Lewis

Offline Way Way norcal

Funny thing, I am a mechanic and I work at a shop.  I work on motors and clutches and sometimes transmissions.  I suppose I would be comfortable working on my 550 tranny.  However, it is something I am not familiar with. Not exactly sure how involved and how hard finding parts are.

Online calj737

• Really Old Timer ...
  • I refuse...
Re: Need a transmission rebuild CB 550.
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2016, 03:05:51 am »
It's pretty straight forward really. The trans comes out as mostly an assembly and can be extracted, swapped, and installed by a competent guy like you within probably 2-3 hours. Add a few hours to pull the engine, split and assemble the cases, (probably replace the primary chain too?) and you're really talking about a weekend.

The project gets longer if you decide, "While I'm at it...". I may have a spare trans in a spare motor that I could try to pull down if you struggle to locate one. But I am sure there's ample units out there. Often easiest to grab a spare motor and scavenge what you need.

Popping out of gear sometimes can be solved by undercutting the gears. It could be your forks, it could be... If you're willing to tear it down and diagnose it exactly, that could save you time and money.

Offline DaveBarbier

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2016, 03:41:22 am »
If you're a mechanic then you'll be totally fine :). This is not a 7 speed Mercedes automatic transmission. It's literally a box with a few gears placed in.

That said, I don't need to tell you that care has to be taken to remember how things go back together and to watch out for little needle bearings as well as keeping things clean. New seals and a good case sealer like Hondabond or something (I like Loctite 518) will be needed, too.

If you're looking to just freshen up the tranny, you'll likely be replacing parts with used parts in better shape. I don't know if NOS parts are even available

Check out my signature for my build thread on my 550. I have some pictures of me putting in my transmission and sealing up my case, I think a video too.

Online calj737

• Really Old Timer ...
  • I refuse...
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2016, 03:46:42 am »
Ha! A 7-speed Benz tranny is actually way easier, Dave  :D Whole unit pops out, valve body from below, and gears and torque converter slip out. Out, serviced, installed in under 3 hours if you're competent. Do that with an SOHC4!

But your point is valid about him being more than capable, especially as he's a mechanic. And if Dave the "Urban Hipster" can do it, so can WayNorCal!

Offline DaveBarbier

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2016, 06:14:06 am »
And if Dave the "Urban Hipster" can do it, so can WayNorCal!

Tight pants and small hands actually makes it easier! And I'd say more of a "Backwoods Hipster". It's pretty much the same but attraction to family members increases.

Give it a go WayNorCal, you can do it!

Offline Way Way norcal

« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2016, 08:52:39 am »
Thanks all for the reply's!
seems pretty straightforward.  I donor motor would be ideal. I have looked hither and thine for one and they are pretty scarce.  Even beat to hell CB's laying on their sides in someones dumpy ass yard you can't pry them from the owner!  Ive tried.  I figure I'll go at this low end pretty soon.  I'll keep you posted!
thanks again

Offline BomberMann650

• Holy Cow! I'm a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Dr. Bovinestein iBa#80333
« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2016, 10:04:32 am »
Thanks all for the reply's!
seems pretty straightforward.  I donor motor would be ideal. I have looked hither and thine for one and they are pretty scarce.  Even beat to hell CB's laying on their sides in someones dumpy ass yard you can't pry them from the owner!  Ive tried.  I figure I'll go at this low end pretty soon.  I'll keep you posted!
thanks again

Yeah, some people have this notion of "my honda is going up in value".  Nevermind how rusted, stuck, neglected, derelict, and unregistered it may be.