Author Topic: 2016 sohc4 road racing reports, open to all road racers.  (Read 18759 times)

Offline gschuld

• Master
2016 sohc4 road racing reports, open to all road racers.
« on: June 07, 2016, 09:25:47 am »
For those of you who actually have your bikes ready ::) and are racing, how is it going?

JohnN, Haybus, Turboguzzi, Simon, Voxonda, MEC, Scotty, etc.

George

Offline Tintop

• Old Timer
Re: 2016 sohc4 road racing reports, open to all road racers.
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2016, 05:12:08 pm »
For those of you who actually have your bikes ready ::) and are racing, how is it going?

JohnN, Haybus, Turboguzzi, Simon, Voxonda, MEC, Scotty, Brent, Billy Bling etc.

George

fixed that for you ;)
1977 CB550/4 Cafe - Speed Warrior / BOTM 03/11
1980 CB750F (project)
Whittaker GBF Vintage Racing Sidecar (XS750 power) - ITG / 151's / CMR Racing Products (SOLD)
1976 CB400 SS - stock / BOTM 04/11 (SOLD)
1973 CB750 K - basket case (SOLD)
77 CB550 Cafe build
550/750 Filter Thread
Sidecar Rebuild Thread

Offline gschuld

• Master
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2016, 06:03:12 pm »
Kickstart, Jeff Peters, Lord Moonpie, Robinson Precision engines 1204cc racer, T-rex racers, Davies cb350 as 500 racers, Bear's sidecar as well...  obviously not a complete list here ;)

Last time I checked, Billy wasn't intending to get back into road racing anytime soon, but you never know ;).

This appears to be the highly modified BMW racer Brent was talking about.

George
« Last Edit: June 07, 2016, 07:18:47 pm by gschuld »

Offline Haybus

• Enthusiast
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2016, 07:25:03 pm »
Good idea George, I'll go first. Round 1 I did a track day before the race weekend to sort out any potential issues with my new motor. I had my share of oiling problems. Blew my oil pressure gage and fork seal on a hard set down after a 1st gear wheelie. Didn't know it would do a wheelie, and certainly wasn't expecting that. Of course oiled my front tire which I did my best to clean off, but had me worried for sure. Got 2 sessions on the track day before I fixed the oil issues (or so I thought) before the skies opened up with torrential down pours. My cam tower hold downs weeped all weekend. My tach drive block off leaked. My clutch started slipping. Other than that Mrs. Lincoln, how did you enjoy the play? New motor is awesome. Definitely shaved time off my best laps at that track. Led a lap on the Sunday race, which is a bit hard to believe, but John can explain.

Pulled the motor on Monday to ditch that cam cover. New fork seals and new clutch. Bought new Honda clutch springs, but decided to throw the 78 springs back in because they provide about 120% more force at the same compressed length when measured on a load cell (longer and a few thou bigger wire diameter).

Round 2. Rain all day Saturday. Not the typical Seattle rain, I mean real rain. So I volunteered at track exit to get my graduation requirements. Both races on Sunday so I really only missed 2 practice sessions. Only 2 laps on the Sunday practice before getting the red flag. Got 2nd in the first race and shaved 11 seconds off my best time at this track. John kept saying he was waiting for me to get the hole shot, so I obliged in the 2nd race. He can tell you why. Probably most people get really excited when they're out front in a race. I think it's more like "what the hell am I doing out front!!". John and Joseph got around me on the first lap, but I kept them in sight most of the race. Shaved off another 2 seconds too. Felt really comfortable on the bike, more than I ever have.

All credit has to go to John for his awesome technical advice and words of encouragement. Of course I've learned a lot of good technical tips from this forum too. I've never raced anything competitively, until now.

Alan
75 CB750
76 KZ900

Offline gschuld

• Master
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2016, 08:40:36 pm »
Alan,

Good for you.

Can you tell us about your new motor?  Were you using the non welded thread in cam tower support cam covers?  From CycleX or something?

George

Offline Haybus

• Enthusiast
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2016, 11:00:27 pm »
Sure. Dynoman +1mm 12.5:1 pistons (class limit). Super rods, HD studs and nuts, HD chains, CycleX tensioners, CX7 cam, kibblewhite HD springs, home brew porting and seat grinding, super flow valves, CR31 carbs. I copied the CycleX cam tower hold downs, but I was getting too much weeping for my liking. Basically created 16 leak points for the high volume of oil at high revs to seep out of. 16 because you have 8 threaded inserts in the cover and 8 studs. Not all were leaking, but enough to really mess with my head while racing. All after sealing them the best I could, or so I thought. I was pretty freaked out after my fork seal and then my tach drive block off oiled the side of my motor and boot, on separate outings. I'm sure they could be sealed, but I need to limit my concerns while racing. I'm sure CycleX has a better method of sealing them up than I did, all their stuff seems top notch!!

Alan
75 CB750
76 KZ900

Offline livefast_dieold

• Hot Shot
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2016, 05:06:35 am »
Hey there, long time no post. But I'm an avid reader (I connect daily)...

Have been working on the bike during the winter, mostly to reduce weight. Now it's 160 kg for 80 hp at the rear wheel!

Here at the recent race at Varano circuit in Italy:

Unfortunately I had to retire, the shift gear lever broke on a curve, it touched the asphalt!

Here is frame mod I've adopted to remove the head without remove the engine from the frame

Here during the first test, the exhaust is a modified aftermarket CBR900 exhaust, 4in1!

Offline turboguzzi

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2016, 06:59:47 am »
can attest that Ricardo was going faster than ever, looking really good on the bike.

can only add that that's exactly why good quality gearshift levers have folding tips :P

trouble for him is that now the 750 class is the most hotly contested, specially that people like an ex-pro now joined the ranks on a superfast TT2 duc,

news about my own racing soon.

Offline bwaller

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2016, 07:26:41 am »
Dam rain, but sounds like really good progress Alan. 

Nice touch on the frame Ricardo, love the exhaust.

Offline livefast_dieold

• Hot Shot
« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2016, 08:07:07 am »
can attest that Ricardo was going faster than ever, looking really good on the bike.

can only add that that's exactly why good quality gearshift levers have folding tips :P

trouble for him is that now the 750 class is the most hotly contested, specially that people like an ex-pro now joined the ranks on a superfast TT2 duc,

heheh Ciao Yossef!

I've changed the tyre to fresh new Conti's, I've tested them at Cremona circuit 2 weeks ago, totally worth it! The rear is not sliding anymore and the smaller front has tremendously improve the handling! Very happy about them.

Still have some problems with the clutch, the nut lock keeps unscrewing a little, causing the clutch to engage suddenly, which translate in very poor starts

Offline bwaller

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2016, 04:52:37 pm »
I'll add pictures later, just waiting for something different & interesting!

June 2015, I won the first race, crashed in the second and took the rest of the season off. There are no leftover injuries except between the ears. Thursday before our first race weekend I took our "phase II" school put on by the clubs fastest pro rider. There are four other current or past pros that ride with six riders each. It wasn't to be faster, maybe more to be smarter and get serious track time and build some confidence. I felt pretty good.

I practiced all day Friday and was an absolute toad. I told Mike Rieck "it's the new me" I guess. Past years I never seemed to have an 8/10ths.... and sometimes that got me into trouble. :P  I told myself this season would be different, points be damned. But by the laptimes I was starting to wonder whether my wife was now controlling the throttle by telepathy.  ;D

Saturday's weather was perfect, and I won my P2 middleweight race. For the bump up P3 Lightweight start I was mired back on the 6th row (no points from 2015) and it took a while to work through and by then the leader had checked out. I worked my way into 2nd and rode well, felt good, off my old pace, but well faster than practice the previous day.

Sunday 3a.m. it started raining & I decided not to race. The morning was cancelled & by noon the track had dried so I suited up. We were 3rd race and of course the skies opened. I got to the front off the start and settled into an easy rythme and soon could hear some action behind. The rain continued but traction was adequate at the pace I was setting......until it wasn't. Some corners were fine, others gave me fits & I couldn't figure it out. I was looking for oil or a soft tire but it just appeared that the track was at a greasy point in spots. Four guys got past including Tim Voyer. Two were on Avon's like me, two on Heidenau's. I had a "large moment" on (i think) the last lap, had to ride off track and finished 3rd in class. I was sliding everywhere & it pissed me off because I didn't see anyone else with issues. The second race I watched from the stands.  ::). I decided it wasn't worth crashing. Ultimately I shoulda woulda coulda been out there as the track was nearly dry by the time the race ended, oh well. It's the new me remember!

My tires are like new (two races) wintered in a warm shop and I see no reason for them to "go off". Now I don't know whether to replace them or if it was just a track issue. On a dry track they'd be fine, I'll decide when I see the weather forecast before the next round.

My bike ran very strong. I struggled some with the GP shift pattern. Rev'd it to the moon a couple times, #$%* what a lousy feeling.  >:(

I'm happy for Tim as he is back in his winning ways. He ought to fill us in with his own exploits.

Offline gschuld

• Master
« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2016, 08:40:59 pm »
Brent,

Losing grip on the track repeatedly has to be frustrating :o

I'm glad to hear you survived the weekend in one piece, sounds like it was close to not being the case???

Hopefully Tim will fill us in.  I assume that he has the cb350 CMR chassis/Giannini engine combo sorted out then.   Frank Giannini tends to build his engines to the ragged edge, but when they are dialed in, they scoot.

George

Offline JohnN

• Enthusiast
« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2016, 09:36:08 am »
Thanks for the kind words Alan, and I guess I should finish the story about the start. Lesson learned- when the red light goes on push the lever ALL the way into gear or nothing happens when you dump the clutch! Still beat the 160's and 500's to turn one but just barely! Still feeling a little rusty but felt much smoother by heat 2 but still running a couple of seconds off last years lap times. I skipped Saturday practice due to rain which dd not help. This is the third season running the current engine and it still runs well. Middle of last season I broke the 2-3 gear clusters when the cush drive gave up. I cobbled up some old parts to finish the season but race one this season 2nd gear would no longer hold a load. Ken at CycleX made quick work of getting me a fresh undercut gear set in time for Round 2 and it's working great. Should be a good season, we even have some new 750's expected to show which is good since we lost a few last year.
John
CR750 replica
CB750K2
85 VF500F
66 CA160
67 CT90
2000 Triumph 955i
69 Triumph Bonneville

Offline Haybus

• Enthusiast
« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2016, 10:18:43 am »
Round 3 - Sounds of the Past. We had a few extra racers from Oregon join us this weekend. With SOTP we have a 160 Le Mans start on Saturday, then the rest of us get to race later. Of course most of the 160's just bump up to the 250 class and get yet another race. We had 4 Honda 750's in our class. John got 1st (of course  ;D), and I got third. I'm getting killed on the start. Need to work on that for sure. In a big sweeping left hander on lap 1 the bike in front of me gave out a big puff of smoke, followed by a scary rear slide for me. My brain was properly tweaked and allowed my pit mate Chris by, and to gap me quite a bit until I was able to clear the smoke from my brain. He has a stock motor we found for $100 (he calls the motor Ben), but he's 70 pounds lighter than me and he's an accomplished motor cross racer. Took me until the last lap to catch back up (I'm consistently 1 second faster), drag race to the finish and I get him by 1/2 a wheel. That was my best race ever and I shaved off another second a lap.

Sunday we have our normal 2 heats, but we start the day with an Ambulance leaking radiator fluid over much of our track. There was a grease sweep line to cross in quite a few corners. We got less than a lap of practice before red flag due to a bike stalled on the straight. That was the end of our practice session for the day, probably because they were already 1 hour behind before any bike took the track. Not a great start for me, I'm 3rd at the first turn. I need to get the R's up a bit more and feather the clutch a bit longer. This higher revving motor takes a bit more finesse to get it going. Of course John checks out, that's his M.O.!! I'm chasing Chris and 2 Oregon boys on Honda 350's get by both of us. I kind of figured they would be coming through since their practice times were about a second faster. I got around Chris on lap 2 and battled a bit with one of the 350's. I could pass him on the straight, but he'd get me in a corner. I checked up at the end of the straight on him on the last lap. I finished 2nd in the 750 class, but I was behind both of the 350's. Chris was back a bit at the finish due to a dirt riding exercise. I think he forgets what bike he's riding!! After the race I told the 350 guy I was dicing with that I could take him on the straight, but I held back because he wasn't in my class and I didn't want to mess up his race with the other 350. He thought about it for a second and said pass him! Sweet, game on for the 2nd race. Shaved off yet another second and feeling good.

A little better start. I drag race Chris to turn one. It's a real high speed turn, we're over 100 MPH, and he's not lifting. I have the inside line, but I lift because I don't want him to run off track. You meet the nicest people on a Honda!! I gotta stop doing that lifting thing, sheesh. Chris does another dirt ride right in front of me, freaks me out, but he get's right back on in front of me. I chopped the throttle a bit so we wouldn't collide. No worries, I get him in a drag race to the next corner. Now I've got John in front of me, he's a ways out, but still fairly close. Normally John is gone somewhere on the 1st lap. Now I'm gaining on him!! Holy hell, what's going on here. Of course I'm thinking something is wrong with John's bike, but I feel like I'm riding pretty well so maybe not. Chris is hot on my heals, I couldn't hear him but I knew he was there. Last lap I almost tucked under John on the big left hand sweeper leading to the straight for the finish. Right before that Chris tried a move on me that opened the door for the 350 guy. One of the racer's wives caught an awesome photo of all 3 of us stacked right up on John. He had no idea we were even there!! John motored us all on the straight to take 1st, I got 2nd shaving off another 2 seconds for a total of 4 seconds off my best lap time at this track. This road racing is finally starting to click for me. Afterwards John asked why I didn't show him a wheel. Ha, ha, like I wasn't trying!! Best race ever.

Alan
75 CB750
76 KZ900

Offline bear

• Vale Bill McIntosh ......"illegitimi non carborundum"
  • Old Timer
  • Leeton in Australia
« Reply #14 on: June 27, 2016, 03:24:24 pm »
Nice report Alan, well done.
It's geat to see a few R/R reports being posted.
If you blokes could post some pic's at some stage that would be terrific.

As matter of interest,  who's cush rubbers did you use to rebuild the drive?

Cheers,
Brian
The older I get the faster I was.

Offline bwaller

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #15 on: June 27, 2016, 06:06:56 pm »
Cool Alan. Fun close racing when it goes well.

I was with my son at a race Sunday and it was so damn hot it was awful. Glad it was him & not me!

Here's some close Moto3 racing from Assen, not sure how long the link will work. (click Moto3 race)

http://montreal.dornastream.com/MotoGP/MotoGP%202016%20-%20Round%2008%20-%20Moto3%20RACE%20-%20Assen%20720p/

« Last Edit: June 27, 2016, 06:37:38 pm by bwaller »

Offline HondaFreak

• Enthusiast
« Reply #16 on: June 28, 2016, 05:05:39 am »
Davies Motorsport latest
Competing in CRMC championship - next round is Anglesey - having competed at Philip Island in January for the first time.
Alan has a newly built 350 twin, which was out at Aintree a couple of weeks back winning both in the 350 class and 500 class. The previous version won at Billown in the PreTT, breaming both race & lap records. The 350's race time would have placed it 3rd in the 500 race! She's flying.
The 500 munched its clutch at Billown, having behaved meticulously at CRMC rounds previously. These road races do funny things to bikes. The 500 is podium happy at CRMC if not always the outright winner. There is a brand new engine being built as we speak with new type cylinder liners, improved air flow for cooling and a host of other small mods to keep the engine cool over 4 laps of The Mountain.
Most interesting of all perhaps to this forum is that JD is building a CB500R replica, to race at 650cc. This will allow the legitimate use of a dry clutch, dry sump and a host of other items that Honda raced on that model. That'll give JD a 350, 500 & 650 to build and Alan a variety of bikes to destroy :-)

I will post the Anglesey & Donington results as they happen. Plus the Classic TT, obviously.

Offline HondaFreak

• Enthusiast

Offline bwaller

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #18 on: June 28, 2016, 10:04:04 am »
I've had loose plans for the same thing.

Offline turboguzzi

• Old Timer
« Reply #19 on: June 29, 2016, 12:47:03 pm »
the cb500r recided in italy since the seventies, here are the complete pics set i posted from the feature motociclismo d'epoca did about it in 2008. it was put up for sale some two years ago, did it end up in UK?

http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,37074.0.html

Offline HondaFreak

• Enthusiast
« Reply #20 on: June 29, 2016, 01:34:08 pm »
I was aware it had been in Italy, but not sure of its location now. This will be a visual replica rather than a nuts and bolts, exact copy. The 500 weighs in at 120kg and 70bhp. If JD keeps a similar weight and 80bhp out of the 650, it will be more than competitive on short circuits. Light, flickable and plenty quick on a straight.

Thanks for the link. The pics are invaluable.

Offline bwaller

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #21 on: June 29, 2016, 02:30:12 pm »
That bike went up for auction & I was aware TG didn't buy it for me.  ;D

There were many more pictures of the bike especially of the engine apart. I think I saved them.

Offline turboguzzi

• Old Timer
« Reply #22 on: June 29, 2016, 03:32:55 pm »
wasnt aware brent...

i know from local gossip that mama honda wanted it back for the museum....

the bike was in theory only lent to samoto roma but never went back to japan,

quite a few stories going around here about who legally owned it, not that clear :)

wonder where it ended up!

Offline bwaller

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #23 on: June 29, 2016, 06:45:06 pm »
I haven't found the picture file yet. It showed pretty clearly the ports of the two valve head. When I find them I'll send them to you.

Offline Retro Rocket

• Eggs are hard due too a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • ROCK & ROLL
« Reply #24 on: June 29, 2016, 07:35:42 pm »

heheh Ciao Yossef!

I've changed the tyre to fresh new Conti's, I've tested them at Cremona circuit 2 weeks ago, totally worth it! The rear is not sliding anymore and the smaller front has tremendously improve the handling! Very happy about them.

What rim and tire sizes are you using..?   

You guys won't hear much from Rob {Voxonda} at the moment, he's in hospital recovering from heart surgery, wishing him a speedy recovery...
750 K2 1000cc
750 F1 970cc
750 Bitsa 900cc
If You can't fix it with a hammer, You've got an electrical problem.