Author Topic: CB750 AHRMA Sportsman 750 Racer  (Read 154997 times)

Offline MRieck

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Big ideas....
Re: CB750 AHRMA Sportsman 750 Racer - Race Weekend Update!
« Reply #825 on: September 11, 2018, 09:34:24 am »
Congratulations Matt. You look pretty happy in that pic. ;)
Owner of the "Million Dollar CB"

Offline 754

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #826 on: September 11, 2018, 09:47:44 am »
 Lucky for you, I told you about quick change wheels.
 So run equal spacers both sides of wheel. Then before the racing starts, flip wheel around, use other side of tire.
 Works on the dirt.   not sure with slicks, The directional thing may bite you on this.

On the launch, don't let go of clutch lever so soon, or learn to slip it, as it starts to wheelie, you can control with clutch and throttle... and get a better launch.. backing off always costs time.. ( laymens terms, you lose the holeshot).
« Last Edit: September 11, 2018, 09:53:20 am by 754 »
Maker of the WELDLESS 750 Frame Kit
dodogas99@gmail.com
Kelowna B.C.       Canada

My next bike will be a ..ANFOB.....

It's All part of the ADVENTURE...

73 836cc.. Green, had it for 3 decades!!
Lost quite a few CB 750's along the way

Offline slikwilli420

• Master of Disaster
  • Master
« Reply #827 on: September 11, 2018, 09:59:50 am »
Good on You :) :)

Take it easy on the new tires..........for a few feet ;)

Good call! Thank god for practice sessions and scrub laps.

Congratulations Matt. You look pretty happy in that pic. ;)

That I am!!

Lucky for you, I told you about quick change wheels.
 So run equal spacers both sides of wheel. Then before the racing starts, flip wheel around, use other side of tire.
 Works on the dirt.   not sure with slicks, The directional thing may bite you on this.

On the launch, don't let go of clutch lever so soon, or learn to slip it, as it starts to wheelie, you can control with clutch and throttle... and get a better launch.. backing off always costs time.. ( laymens terms, you lose the holeshot).

Tires are not bidirectional otherwise that would be an option.

I really need to hang with some drag race guys and learn how to get those awesome holeshots.
All you gotta do is do what you gotta do.

Vintage Speed Parts Mashup: http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=133638.0
Rickman CR Parts Kit Refresh: http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,154837.0.html
AHRMA CB750 Racer: http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,158461.0.html
AHRMA Superbike Heavyweight Racer: http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,173120.0.html
'76F CB750 Patina Redemption: http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,174871.0.html

Offline 754

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #828 on: September 11, 2018, 11:44:00 am »
 Basically, if you are still holding the clutch lever, you still have a chance to control it without backing right off.
I was wheeling my XL 350 off the line at the flat track . With a street tire.. sometimes I had to clutch and trim throttle to bring it down a bit.,
« Last Edit: September 11, 2018, 11:48:07 am by 754 »
Maker of the WELDLESS 750 Frame Kit
dodogas99@gmail.com
Kelowna B.C.       Canada

My next bike will be a ..ANFOB.....

It's All part of the ADVENTURE...

73 836cc.. Green, had it for 3 decades!!
Lost quite a few CB 750's along the way

Offline MRieck

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Big ideas....
« Reply #829 on: September 11, 2018, 11:59:34 am »

I really need to hang with some drag race guys and learn how to get those awesome holeshots.
Rev the crap out of it and slip the clutch. ;D

Offline bwaller

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #830 on: September 11, 2018, 07:15:17 pm »
Good news Matt, congratulations.

Who is that skinny smiling guy though? Just a shadow of your former self I met a year ago at Barber!  8) 

Offline scottly

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Humboldt, AZ
« Reply #831 on: September 11, 2018, 08:59:51 pm »
Well done, Matt. 8)
Don't fix it if it ain't broke!
Helmets save brains. Always wear one and ride like everyone is trying to kill you....

Offline RAFster122s

• I feel like a really really
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • SOHC4 member # 2605
« Reply #832 on: September 11, 2018, 10:34:03 pm »
Congrats!
David- back in the desert SW!

Offline slikwilli420

• Master of Disaster
  • Master
« Reply #833 on: September 12, 2018, 06:02:37 am »
Good news Matt, congratulations.

Who is that skinny smiling guy though? Just a shadow of your former self I met a year ago at Barber!  8)

Well done, Matt. 8)

Congrats!

Thanks a lot guys! It was a long road and there is still much to do. Already planning now for next year. The biggest improvement will be in myself. I am down about 30 pounds right now (246) but want to get to 200-210 for next season. Once the craziness of summer winds down, I can really concentrate on getting back to the treadmill and eating right. I didn't incorporate any weight training this year and saw how it affected my stamina on the bike. Strength training, weight loss and improved flexibility will be the pillars of my routine in the off season.

Rickman CR Parts Kit Refresh: http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,154837.0.html
AHRMA Superbike Heavyweight Racer: http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,173120.0.html
'76F CB750 Patina Redemption: http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,174871.0.html

Offline kmb69

• Master
« Reply #834 on: September 12, 2018, 07:32:17 am »
Way to go Matt!

Offline slikwilli420

• Master of Disaster
  • Master
Re: CB750 AHRMA Sportsman 750 Racer - Barber 2018 Season Wrap-up
« Reply #835 on: October 10, 2018, 11:56:22 am »
Well, here we are, season #2 is in the books for me and my AHRMA racer. I got back from Barber on Monday afternoon and am back to work, still digesting the weekend from a total event and race standpoint.

We got to the track on Wednesday evening and got base camp set up. I had my bro in the paddock with me this weekend on his CB450-based bike, riding in Sportsman 500 which was awesome. Aside from tire pressure checks, there was nothing else to do on bikes. Sure is nice to not be wrenching day and night to keep the old girls on the tarmac.

Thursday was our practice day so we got up and tech'd bikes and got ready to get on the track for the first time since last year. I tried to focus on everything I learned racing last year on this track and apply it. I was right behind the guy in my class on the Saturday race at Talladega in early September, and I had my GoPro running to catch his crash. Not knowing why he crashed (he didnt either) didnt sit well with me this weekend and I felt off my game in practice. I still ran 3 of the 4 sessions on Thursday and started moving my lap times in the right direction, ending in the 1:56 range, with the top guys in class running under 1:50. I knew I had my work cut out for me on race day.

Friday was a relax day and I took in the swap meet scene, which was underwhelming as it had been in years past. I think next year I will get back to the museum to enjoy the expanded display. It really is a must see facility and the vintage festival is the best way to do it.
I was able to get the bike on the dyno Friday evening as I had been planning on leading up to this weekend and given that it was cooling off just a bit by early evening and the bike felt good, I figured it was as good a time as any.

Video of the run: https://photos.google.com/share/AF1QipPCI82c3n2wcgXNeB164bb06iDX2U7XLtGDZyuPGb5sL2tlfh9ZzTqH7Y5CbdjdSA/photo/AF1QipMFQ5Ro5UNm-Kny2XaqAEkrFMKLwnC3LokWbclm?key=bTU4aGtPLTdNRlZiVzJEeUo1NzdyNldJOW1jU1R3

I had a number in mind on power (80) and I am pretty thrilled to say that I pulled 79.75hp!! Here is the graph:

They ran it right up to 10,000 for two pulls. I don't fully know what to make of the charts but that is where I ended up. Unless someone is lying, I have the most powerful sportsman 750 bike in the class right now, but at least 7hp or so.

Saturday, race day. We are race 15 so I have ALL day to try to beat the heat and stay cool and keep my energy up for go time. My brother was in race #4 so he went in the morning and given the bikes stock motor and his first time there, Im pretty thrilled to say he finished 12 of 14 Saturday and 7 of 10 on Sunday!!

Right after lunch we got the announcement that the race was going to be cut short from 8 to 6 laps for the rest of the day to make up time from cleaning up a few oil on track issues throughout the day. We were also gridded with the Battle of Twins gusy so knew that we would actually get only 5 laps to get it all done out there. I have GoPro I will try to get edited and loaded up on YouTube with a link in this post once I get time to look it over.

I didnt have a great start but was able to hold my ground for the entire race against guys in my class, pulling out a 6th of 11 riders. I had higher expectations and could see where I was slower than I should have been, but just couldn't convert that to added speed and lower lap times. I really thought I would get closer to 1:50 lap times during the race, but still managed right at 1:56 throughout the race as my fastest pace. I did have a great time battling with Chris (Kickstart) on his Honda 750 toward the end of the race. There was some passing back forth and for some reason Chris thought our race was over and coming out of the last turn to the checkers he slowed up a bit (still out in front) and I was right there, running the bike at full howl all the way to the line. In the end I got him by half a wheel, or about 0.018 seconds. It made for a great last lap and a lot of fun. He has GoPro video that hopefully he will upload as well.

I tried to shake off thoughts of get-offs and the rest and prepared for Sunday. I got plenty of sleep on Saturday night and woke up Sunday frosty and ready to go, feeling much better than Saturday.

I was able to stay cool all day and the races went off much better than Saturday, with far less red flag action on track, ensuring that we would get our full 8 (7 because of the big boys) laps on track to have some fun.

My start was far better this time around and I was able to pull into 3-4th spot I believe going through turn one. I felt much better and tried to keep the fast guys in sight as I rounded the track. Charlotte's Web is a mean corner as the straight leading up to it is a blind hill climb that you need to hit the right rumble strip and drift to the other side of the track as full out as possible before coming back to the right and braking into the corner. Its a damn fun corner but was the scene of many off track excursions, including for my Uncle Jeff (current #1 in the class) as he followed his son Nick (wrapped up the 2018 champ in the class this weekend) too deep into the corner and got off in the grass, but kept upright. I was able to pass him as he was getting back on track and for the time was up to 3rd place (need to review the video to be sure). I tried my best to hang with the guys up front, but they kept pulling away at each corner. Given my slower corner speed and shorter straights here, my power wasnt able to make up my lack of corner speed.

Lap 2 still felt pretty good and I didnt see anyone from my class out there and then comes Charlotte's Web. Well I climb the hill in anger, flow from one side to the other, nearly touching the right rumble strip, then near disaster struck. As I crested the hill under full power, the front end lightened (not sure if I lifted the front or not) and I went into full tank slapper mode, beating the triple clamp against both steering stops repeatedly. I tried to stay on throttle as much as possible as I drifted toward the grass on the left side of the track. Just before I go off tarmac, the bike settles and I regain control, in just enough time to drift into the grass. I was able to drift back onto the track and look over my shoulder to make sure I wasnt going to get a$$-packed and started to apply the brakes. But wait, I didn't have and brakes!! During the violent shaking, the pistons must have retracted enough to require 3 pumps before I got full brake power. I was able to lay into the rear brakes a bit as well and get slowed down just enough to complete the turn and stay on the track. While it rattle me quite a bit, I found myself in a battle with a fast Triumph triple in my class and tried to dial it back up and put the pressure on. After a few turns, realizing I may have been pushing my luck, I settled into a safe pace and played out the rest of the race by myself, again finishing 6th. Toward the end of each day I was having a lot of what seem to be clutch issues in that I was missing downshifts and later up shifts. Toward the end on Sunday, I was having to try to shift into top gear 2-3 times before it would catch. It only did it when really hot as a scrub lap earlier on Sunday didnt reveal any issues after a fresh clutch adjustment per the manual (done on a cold bike).

With 2018 in the books, I am already thinking ahead to making 2019 even better with at least one more race on the schedule. I lost my focus on improving my body between June and now and have really decided to take a hard look on what I need to do to get ready. While my goal is to lost 50lbs, putting me at an even 200, I need to get there by both strength and cardio training. My body responds well to cardio and that is how I got where I am, but I realized after this weekend that stamina is a concern for me. I can go full tilt for a few laps, but usually by half way I am starting to struggle to hit apexes and stay limber on the bike. My wife is a huge fan of HIIT workouts and I think that explosive type of exercise will really help. Half hour classes running full tilt would be perfect for a guy racing full out 15-25min at a time.

As to the bike, I plan on upgrading the caliper, either to an AP or Spondon unit. My brake lever always felt squishier than other guys in the class, whom mostly run the AP brakes. I also plan on addressing the tank as I find it hard to get my body around the square edges of the back of the tank. Ergos can certainly be improved there.

I will finish using up the current tires (Avon soft) and give the new Conti RoadAttack 3CR a try once they get stateside.

The clutch needs to be addressed as well and I am seriously considering Kenny's 4 plate system, combined with friction that will withstand synthetic oil. I need to have a real solution to my clutch issues before next season begins.

The last big thing is an ignition upgrade. I like the idea of the rev limiter built in and being able to choose different ignition curves. I think it will make the bike deliver power more smoothly and keep me from putting valves and pistons together in the event of a missed shift.

Offline Old Scrambler

• My CB750K3 has been in 39 States & 5 Provinces
  • Old Timer
« Reply #836 on: October 10, 2018, 03:29:17 pm »
I watched from the sod embankment along the back straight...........you will get the times down with less weight to carry the corners ;) ;) ;)
Dennis in Wisconsin
'64 Triumph Cub & '74 Honda CB750 Bonneville Salt Flats AMA Record Holder (6)
CB750 Classic Bonneville Racer thread - http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,135473.0.html
'63 CL72 Project(s)
'66 CL77 Red
'67 Triumph T100C
'73 750K3 Owned since New
'77 750F2 Cafe Project
2020 ROYAL ENFIELD Himalayan

Offline MRieck

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Big ideas....
« Reply #837 on: October 10, 2018, 04:05:36 pm »
Power looks nice.....it holds...never drops off....all the way to 10,000. Nice brother. ;)

Offline Rocketman

• Hot Shot
« Reply #838 on: October 10, 2018, 07:22:00 pm »
Congratulations on a successful season.  I am sure you will find those lower times with more track time.  Very impressed with the speed and reliability of your machine.  May want to check the trail to be sure you are in the safe zone, high speed tank slappers are scary stuff!  For example Yamaha R1 has 97mm of trail while the FZ1 has 109mm.  Have used the Conti RoadAttack 2 CR on my Suzuki and like them a lot.  Hear the 3 CR is supposed to be better in the rain.  See you at the races.

Offline bwaller

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #839 on: October 11, 2018, 04:48:21 am »
I agree with Martin that you should re-visit trail numbers.

I had a nasty tank slapper that didn't end as well because I lacked adequate trail.

Sorry we couldn't make Barber and see you all again. It seems this year the hurricane was a few days later and allowed racing Sunday. Well done this season.

Offline slikwilli420

• Master of Disaster
  • Master
« Reply #840 on: October 11, 2018, 06:08:45 am »
Power looks nice.....it holds...never drops off....all the way to 10,000. Nice brother. ;)

Thats your head breathin' to the max making it all happen. Gotta figure out what to do about carbs to get this baby really breathing.

Congratulations on a successful season.  I am sure you will find those lower times with more track time.  Very impressed with the speed and reliability of your machine.  May want to check the trail to be sure you are in the safe zone, high speed tank slappers are scary stuff!  For example Yamaha R1 has 97mm of trail while the FZ1 has 109mm.  Have used the Conti RoadAttack 2 CR on my Suzuki and like them a lot.  Hear the 3 CR is supposed to be better in the rain.  See you at the races.

I agree with Martin that you should re-visit trail numbers.

I had a nasty tank slapper that didn't end as well because I lacked adequate trail.

Sorry we couldn't make Barber and see you all again. It seems this year the hurricane was a few days later and allowed racing Sunday. Well done this season.

Guys, Im running right at 95mm of trail as the bike sits. I had Race Tech help with front/rear setup last year and overall the bike felt really stable throughout the weekend. The front end went way light powershifting up the hill headed to Charlotte's Web. That is also a spot where the bike is layed over just a bit to make the sweeper. It seems that the combination of making the front wheel light, the change in trajectory (going uphill to flat) and the slight lean on the bike made that happen. I had my steering damper dialed up toward the high end as well. I will recheck all then numbers and report back but I really thought I had handling dialed in.

Bummer you couldn't make the trip Brent, it was quite the time. I want to make a plan to come north of the border and play at Mosport. I need to figure out where my bike fits class wise and make the adjustments but I really want to get up there in the next couple of years.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2018, 08:04:21 am by slikwilli420 »

Offline gschuld

• Master
« Reply #841 on: October 11, 2018, 08:03:29 am »
Matt,

79.75RWHP is right where you were expecting.😉. Nice for a just over stock displacement engine.

Are there any official opinions on whether the dead stock round top carbs currently being used are restricting power on Matt’s race engine?  I’m thinking yes, but if so, the question is likely how much....

George

Offline Ramrod_Racing

« Reply #842 on: October 12, 2018, 07:42:02 am »
Heck yeah, dude! Bike looked strong, but those Hargis guys have their XS’s cookin’ something fierce too unfortunately.

I’m kind of regretting not getting on the dyno there to baseline my (almost stock) engine. Curious how many horses have let themselves out of the barn over the decades.

Offline slikwilli420

• Master of Disaster
  • Master
« Reply #843 on: October 12, 2018, 01:43:12 pm »
Heck yeah, dude! Bike looked strong, but those Hargis guys have their XS’s cookin’ something fierce too unfortunately.

I’m kind of regretting not getting on the dyno there to baseline my (almost stock) engine. Curious how many horses have let themselves out of the barn over the decades.

You know the Hargis'? Always nice to have a fellow forum member out at the races. Did we talk at Barber? I met a bunch of people that were looking over the bike all weekend.

Offline Ramrod_Racing

« Reply #844 on: October 12, 2018, 09:06:26 pm »
You know the Hargis'? Always nice to have a fellow forum member out at the races. Did we talk at Barber? I met a bunch of people that were looking over the bike all weekend.

Don't really know them, just drank some beers in the pits Friday night. Also my dad was racing Motard so I was watching Sportsman 750 by default too. They both struggled to keep the front ends down off the start. 

Think we just had a friendly wave or two and were in Practice 4 together this past weekend, but we shot the #$%* for a bit at Little Tally. I'm the dude with the blue Nighthawk in VSBM.

Offline slikwilli420

• Master of Disaster
  • Master
« Reply #845 on: October 13, 2018, 05:20:18 am »

Don't really know them, just drank some beers in the pits Friday night. Also my dad was racing Motard so I was watching Sportsman 750 by default too. They both struggled to keep the front ends down off the start. 

Think we just had a friendly wave or two and were in Practice 4 together this past weekend, but we shot the #$%* for a bit at Little Tally. I'm the dude with the blue Nighthawk in VSBM.

Oh yeah that's right! How did the night hawk treat you this weekend? Yeah those guys are fast. Really need to step it up next year. I would be happy with consistent top 3 finishes next year.

Offline Ramrod_Racing

« Reply #846 on: October 13, 2018, 02:18:24 pm »
Oh yeah that's right! How did the night hawk treat you this weekend? Yeah those guys are fast. Really need to step it up next year. I would be happy with consistent top 3 finishes next year.

In a pretty similar boat results/expectations wise. I'm about 80% of where I want to be chassis-wise, but there's just no getting around being out motored everywhere. Part of the reason I'm here poking around is trying to decide how much I want to spend trying to remedy that for next year.

Offline scottly

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Humboldt, AZ
« Reply #847 on: October 13, 2018, 09:37:20 pm »
Ramrod, you should talk to Mike about headwork; if you can't make it bigger, you have to make it breathe better. ;) Matt's 750 makes like 9 HP more than my 836 with a stock un-ported head...
Don't fix it if it ain't broke!
Helmets save brains. Always wear one and ride like everyone is trying to kill you....

Offline slikwilli420

• Master of Disaster
  • Master
Re: CB750 AHRMA Sportsman 750 Racer - 2019 Preparations
« Reply #848 on: November 02, 2018, 06:11:21 am »
Cool that the forum decided to crash, but Ill try to remember most of the masterpiece I typed up yesterday.

Getting into 2019 preparations right now as my race year starts a lot earlier next year, with Roebling Road in Georgia at the end of February.

Here is my tentative (some dates may change) race schedule:

Roebling Road   2/22-24
Kershaw   3/29-31
Jersey   5/24-26
Road America   7/26-28
Gingerman   8/2-4
Tally   9/6-8
Barber   10/3-6

With that said, its time to get going on all the changes I want to make. Nothing major this year, but things need attention nonetheless.

First is front brakes, which I am upgrading with a new AP Racing CP2696 2-piston caliper. These are the go-to for all the high-end bikes across vintage racing and throughout this year I have felt that the brake lever is on the squishy side. The brakes have been bled to death and are pretty good, but I think there is more there, so off with the Grimeca. I will keep the same line and master.

I was also experiencing some nasty shifting issues that I fought all weekend at Barber. Not sure what changed between Tally a month before and Barber, but by the end of racing each day I was having issues with downshifts as well as with upshifts into 4th and 5th. I suspect the Shell Rotella T4 may not be quite up to the task so its time for a change. Im going with Motul 7100 as it seems to universally provide better shifts and longer service life (non-factor in a race bike) than other oils. I am also talking with Kenny about his 4 plate clutch, which I am going to try out. I will also get a shorter clutch cable that doesn't hang in the breeze so far and hopefully all that will remedy this issue.

Ignition is another place I think I am lacking a bit, so Im going with the Dyna 2000, which has different ignition curves, a built-in rev limiter and a pickup for the tach, all nice features. It uses the Dyna coils I already have installed so if something goes haywire, I can drop a Dyna S back in quickly.

The last bigger item is to add a front fender. Not only will it look good and complete the bike, but I will be able to keep more crap off the front of the engine and oil cooler. No brainer. I really like the H2R4M model from Airtech, as its a race fender from the H2R racer and its wider profile will match my wider fork spacing nicely.

Those are the big items, beyond that its all the small stuff like metal fuel valves to replace the plastic, rear inner fender, etc etc.

Lots to do and its only 112 days until Roebling Road.

Offline livefast_dieold

• Hot Shot
Re: CB750 AHRMA Sportsman 750 Racer - 2019 Preparations
« Reply #849 on: November 04, 2018, 09:30:32 am »
Go with Ignitech instead of Dyna2000 :-) Wayyyy better ignition, and it is a truly fully programmable unit