Author Topic: My Petcock is not a well behaved Pet.  (Read 24116 times)

Offline flybox1

• My wife thinks I'm a
  • Really Old Timer ...
Re: Petcock is not a well behaved Pet.
« Reply #150 on: June 23, 2016, 10:16:45 am »
Nothing in my last statement was a debate. 
'78 750K (F3 engine) PD42b's, Modified airbox w/K&N  filter, 40/110 jets, 1 needle shim, IMS@ 1 turn out. Kerker + Cone 18" QuietCore

Past Bikes
1974 550K0 (stock), 1973 CB350F (stock), 1983 Yamaha XS400K (POS)
77/78 cool 2 member #3
"Knowledge without mileage equals bullsh!t" - Henry Rollins

"This is my CB. There are many like it, but this one is mine…"

Offline Scott S

• Global Moderator
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #151 on: June 23, 2016, 10:18:33 am »
 My friend has a 350F and hers will only do high 80's, too.

You also have to take into account speedometer error, especially with the aftermarket gauges.
 The only true way to verify it is with a GPS unit or get on the interstate and have someone in a modern car tag along beside you as you compare speedo readings.

But you're right.....who really cares? Is it really that big of a deal?
'71 CB500 K0
'17 Triumph Street Scrambler
'81 Yamaha XS650

Offline JWilde

• Hot Shot
« Reply #152 on: June 23, 2016, 10:20:42 am »

You also have to take into account speedometer error, especially with the aftermarket gauges.
 The only true way to verify it is with a GPS unit or get on the interstate and have someone in a modern car tag along beside you as you compare speedo readings.

The first time I did the ton friend was in the car racing me while a friend in his backseat videoed. I could post the video but I wont. I have nothing to prove. If ppl cant or wont believe me, I dont really have a problem with that. Im good. And like I said. the other day I did around 80-5 in 4th gear. Hadnt even hit fifth yet!

Offline harisuluv

• Master
« Reply #153 on: June 23, 2016, 10:24:26 am »
You post photos and video totally unnecessarily and without anyone asking for them at all.

Now you say you have video of yourself looking super cool on your bike and doing the ton no less, and you're not going to?

If that video existed you would be falling all over yourself to post it.

Offline JWilde

• Hot Shot
« Reply #154 on: June 23, 2016, 10:30:18 am »
You post photos and video totally unnecessarily and without anyone asking for them at all.

Now you say you have video of yourself looking super cool on your bike and doing the ton no less, and you're not going to?

If that video existed you would be falling all over yourself to post it.

Umm hmmm.  My point is, and it should be clear and readily digested, Im not going to be pressured into, or play into having to "prove" anything. I dont care what you think, what arguments you put forth or what you think I may or not be falling over myself to do. I just dont care.

And Im not talking about this anymore. its over. end of convo. Waste of time otherwise.

Offline jaguar

• Old Timer
« Reply #155 on: June 23, 2016, 10:48:36 am »
My 750 does 160mph in 4th.
It is more then twice the CC, so it makes sense.

Offline Scott S

• Global Moderator
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #156 on: June 23, 2016, 10:54:52 am »
 This horse has been beat to death already.
 Let's get back on topic. If anyone has anything else to add about leaky petcocks/carbs, that's cool.
'71 CB500 K0
'17 Triumph Street Scrambler
'81 Yamaha XS650

Offline evanphi

• Apparently I'm an
  • Old Timer
  • Rhonda the Basket Case
« Reply #157 on: June 23, 2016, 10:56:10 am »
Holy #$%*. Second time I have to post this in the same thread.

--Evan

1975 CB750K "Rhonda"
Delkevic Stainless 4-1 Header, Cone Engineering 18" Quiet Core Reverse Cone, K&N Filter in Drilled Airbox
K5 Crankcase/Frame, K4 Head and Cylinders, K1 Carbs (42;120;1 Turn)

She's a mix-matched (former) basket case, but she's mine.

CB750 Shop Manual (all years), searchable text PDF
Calculating the correct input circumference for digital speedometers connected to the original speedometer drive

Offline SOHC4 Cafe Racer Fan

• Speak up, Whipper-Snapper! I'm a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • SOHC/4 Member #1235
« Reply #158 on: June 23, 2016, 11:06:19 am »

I don't think there's any debate or insult.  An unmodified 350F will simply not do the Ton.  The speedo might read it, but you are likely in the mid-to-low 90s.  It's just a matter of physics.

I've hit somewhere in the vicinity of 165 mph on my GSXR (at least on my speedo) but who knows for certain without a radar gun or GPS.
1975 CB550K1 "Blue" Stockish Restomod (http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=135005.0)
1975 CB550F1 frame/CB650 engine hybrid "The Hot Mess" (http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,150220.0.html)
2008 Triumph Thruxton (http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,190956.0.html)
2014 MV Agusta Brutale Dragster 800
2015 Yamaha FZ-09 (http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,186861.0.html)

"There are some things nobody needs in this world, and a bright-red, hunch-back, warp-speed 900cc cafe racer is one of them — but I want one anyway, and on some days I actually believe I need one.... Being shot out of a cannon will always be better than being squeezed out of a tube. That is why God made fast motorcycles, Bubba." Hunter S. Thompson, Song of the Sausage Creature, Cycle World, March 1995.  (http://www.latexnet.org/~csmith/sausage.html and https://magazine.cycleworld.com/article/1995/3/1/song-of-the-sausage-creature)

Sold/Emeritus
1973 CB750K2 "Bionic Mongrel" (http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=132734.0) - Sold
1977 CB750K7 "Nine Lives" Restomod (http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=50490.0) - Sold
2005 RVT1000RR RC51-SP2 "El Diablo" - Sold
2016+ Triumph Thruxton 1200 R (http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,170198.0.html) - Sold

Offline jaguar

• Old Timer
« Reply #159 on: June 23, 2016, 11:23:56 am »
Why dose the OP think that he can make "rules" and never have another member challenge the junk he says?

Open forum.
If you claim BS, you will be called on it, or asked for proof.

Offline BomberMann650

• Holy Cow! I'm a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Dr. Bovinestein iBa#80333
« Reply #160 on: June 23, 2016, 11:29:28 am »

I don't think there's any debate or insult.  An unmodified 350F will simply not do the Ton.  The speedo might read it, but you are likely in the mid-to-low 90s.  It's just a matter of physics.

I've hit somewhere in the vicinity of 165 mph on my GSXR (at least on my speedo) but who knows for certain without a radar gun or GPS.

The unreliable speedo is why I shoot for 105 instead of 100 when I'm in the mood.

Full cannonball tuck, 4th gear to the redline, shift for 5th and give it the gas.

I would be interested to see how anyone so tall looks tucked in around a cb350 though.

Now pure speed inna straight line is one thing, speed thru the turns, that's something only experience and skill can accomplish.

As evidenced by an olde timer and his beemer takin me to school on the sweepers.
75 CB550F Bloo
03 DS650/720 Bombardier
76/78 XS750 Oscar the Grouch
07 FJR1300; Lydia
05 YFZ450/470 Stroker (sold)
73 Norton Commando 850 Cafe
99 Roadstar Silverado (rebuild)
Certified Harley Davidson Tech

Offline JWilde

• Hot Shot
« Reply #161 on: June 23, 2016, 11:29:34 am »
My 750 does 160mph in 4th.
It is more then twice the CC, so it makes sense.

Yep. I have a 750 I bought in March that I didnt even ride and is about to be sold. too big, too scary, too heavy.

Offline JWilde

• Hot Shot
« Reply #162 on: June 23, 2016, 11:30:34 am »
Why dose the OP think that he can make "rules" and never have another member challenge the junk he says?

Open forum.

I *said* this convo is ended.

Offline JWilde

• Hot Shot
« Reply #163 on: June 23, 2016, 11:33:18 am »

The unreliable speedo is why I shoot for 105 instead of 100 when I'm in the mood.

Full cannonball tuck, 4th gear to the redline, shift for 5th and give it the gas.

I would be interested to see how anyone so tall looks tucked in around a cb350 though.

Now pure speed inna straight line is one thing, speed thru the turns, that's something only experience and skill can accomplish.

As evidenced by an olde timer and his beemer takin me to school on the sweepers.

Im trying to have fun on the bike. Not impress anyone going around bends and curves, if that is the variable you meant to introduce to the convo. Its just a bike not a cancer vaccine. Its not that deep. Just a bike. No amount of curves I take at whatever speed is going to cure world hunger. Thats not the measure of a man. If Ive misunderstood, and you only wanted to express your enjoyment of curves and whatnot, then my bad
« Last Edit: June 23, 2016, 11:37:10 am by JWilde »

Offline BomberMann650

• Holy Cow! I'm a
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #164 on: June 23, 2016, 11:39:24 am »

Open forum.

You are welcome to not participate, but don't think you can force all the other forum members to leave the thread just because you say so.

Besides, they were about to discuss petcocks again.
75 CB550F Bloo
03 DS650/720 Bombardier
07 FJR1300; Lydia

Offline BomberMann650

• Holy Cow! I'm a
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #165 on: June 23, 2016, 11:43:26 am »

Yep. I have a 750 I bought in March that I didnt even ride and is about to be sold. too big, too scary, too heavy.

Thats exactly what my lady friend said about a gsxr the day we went shopping for her first bike.

She couldn't reach the ground, felt like the bike was going to fall on her if she tried to walk it, and the crazy numbers on the dash were foreboding. 

BUT,
That is the weight a champion must carry!  Huzzah
75 CB550F Bloo
03 DS650/720 Bombardier
07 FJR1300; Lydia

Offline JWilde

• Hot Shot
« Reply #166 on: June 23, 2016, 11:46:28 am »

Open forum.

You are welcome to not participate, but don't think you can force all the other forum members to leave the thread just because you say so.

Besides, they were about to discuss petcocks again.

That petulant looking comment of mine is meant as sarcasm. When I was young and Id question my parents, they would say "I SAID what I had to say and thats it" in answer to me continually bothering them.

One thing I have said over and over is I will not, in any way, allow arguing in my posts or entertain questions that are meant to lead to arguments. Im not stupid and I know when someone is trying to provoke me. I have a strong personality and some ppl dont like it. I dont care, but I wont argue. Thats primarily why I shut convos down.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2016, 11:48:03 am by JWilde »

• Really Old Timer ...
  • SOHC/4 Member #1235
Re: My Petcock is not a well behaved Pet.
« Reply #167 on: June 23, 2016, 12:13:28 pm »
I previously asked you about revs at 80 mph, out of curiousity.  The 350F is not a high revving bike nor does it has much horsepower.  It is a fun bike to get around on in town, and you know the saying, it is more fun to ride a slow bike fast than a fast bike slow.

I was curious because you obviously don't want to strain the engine to its upper limit and just keep it there for extended amounts of time.  20 minutes isn't terribly long but you don't want to pin the throttle on a small bike for extended periods of time.  Believe it or not, this query was made out of curiosity and concern for your engine lifespan.  Have you done any engine work to the bike?

By contrast the 750 has about double the horsepower, but it is a heavy bike.  Not too heavy for your size.  Given your height, you should be able to handle the weight fine.  You don't feel it as much when the bike is rolling, but it is NOT as nimble as a smaller displacement bike.  It is also much more top-heavy.  That said, guys at your height are a bit heavy for a 350, even if svelte. 

You should think about graduating to the 750.  It is by no means fast by modern standards.
1975 CB550K1 "Blue" Stockish Restomod (http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=135005.0)
1975 CB550F1 frame/CB650 engine hybrid "The Hot Mess" (http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,150220.0.html)

"There are some things nobody needs in this world, and a bright-red, hunch-back, warp-speed 900cc cafe racer is one of them — but I want one anyway, and on some days I actually believe I need one.... Being shot out of a cannon will always be better than being squeezed out of a tube. That is why God made fast motorcycles, Bubba." Hunter S. Thompson, Song of the Sausage Creature, Cycle World, March 1995.  (http://www.latexnet.org/~csmith/sausage.html and https://magazine.cycleworld.com/article/1995/3/1/song-of-the-sausage-creature)

Sold/Emeritus
1973 CB750K2 "Bionic Mongrel" (http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=132734.0) - Sold
1977 CB750K7 "Nine Lives" Restomod (http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=50490.0) - Sold
2016+ Triumph Thruxton 1200 R (http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,170198.0.html) - Sold

Offline JWilde

• Hot Shot
« Reply #168 on: June 23, 2016, 12:24:45 pm »
I previously asked you about revs at 80 mph, out of curiousity.  The 350F is not a high revving bike nor does it has much horsepower.  It is a fun bike to get around on in town, and you know the saying, it is more fun to ride a slow bike fast than a fast bike slow.

I was curious because you obviously don't want to strain the engine to its upper limit and just keep it there for extended amounts of time.  20 minutes isn't terribly long but you don't want to pin the throttle on a small bike for extended periods of time.  Believe it or not, this query was made out of curiosity and concern for your engine lifespan.  Have you done any engine work to the bike?

By contrast the 750 has about double the horsepower, but it is a heavy bike.  Not too heavy for your size.  Given your height, you should be able to handle the weight fine.  You don't feel it as much when the bike is rolling, but it is NOT as nimble as a smaller displacement bike.  It is also much more top-heavy.  That said, guys at your height are a bit heavy for a 350, even if svelte. 

You should think about graduating to the 750.  It is by no means fast by modern standards.

I appreciate your comments and sense your concern. And yes I am aware of the limitations of a 350F and keeping it revved high for extended periods, and the consequence to the engine.

Where I live, what I do makes the bike i have chosen (350F) are perfect for me. I have a 750 that is being sold: I will not keep it. I will NEVER own a bike over 500cc. My plan is to buy a 500F and call it a day. Ill have my two bikes and thats it.

Im good.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2016, 12:27:12 pm by JWilde »

Offline jaguar

• Old Timer
« Reply #169 on: June 23, 2016, 12:47:19 pm »
Good for you for not deleting this threat.
Shows that you are finally growing as a member here.

Offline JWilde

• Hot Shot
« Reply #170 on: June 23, 2016, 12:49:50 pm »
Good for you for not deleting this threat.
Shows that you are finally growing as a member here.

As I mentioned, I have only ever deleted threads when things got nasty or unhealthy, or were moving in that direction. I already know who I am as a person, and dont need forum validation, but I thank you for your comments.

Offline BomberMann650

• Holy Cow! I'm a
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #171 on: June 23, 2016, 12:55:30 pm »

I appreciate your comments and sense your concern. And yes I am aware of the limitations of a 350F and keeping it revved high for extended periods, and the consequence to the engine.

Where I live, what I do makes the bike i have chosen (350F) are perfect for me. I have a 750 that is being sold: I will not keep it. I will NEVER own a bike over 500cc. My plan is to buy a 500F and call it a day. Ill have my two bikes and thats it.

Im good.

Oh J, you say these things now.

But some day, you might find yourself in an entirely different opinion.

Happens to all of us.
75 CB550F Bloo
03 DS650/720 Bombardier
07 FJR1300; Lydia

Offline JWilde

• Hot Shot
« Reply #172 on: June 23, 2016, 12:59:06 pm »

Im good.

Happens to all of us.

That bike is hideous. I hate new stuff (except Bentleys and Lams), hate new cars, hate new bikes. old old old stuff for me

• Really Old Timer ...
  • SOHC/4 Member #1235
« Reply #173 on: June 23, 2016, 01:52:31 pm »

Im good.

Happens to all of us.

That bike is hideous. I hate new stuff (except Bentleys and Lams), hate new cars, hate new bikes. old old old stuff for me

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, and people who live in glass houses should not cast stones.  Some might find certain luxury brands to be gauche, as well, right?  I would not be so quick to disparage say a ZX-14R with indignities.   It's not my cup of tea, either, but Rickey Gadson might disagree.  It doesn't come close to qualifying for the ABOMINATION THREAD.

As for some "new stuff," I generally love its reliability and performance. 

Besides, what is OLD for you, kiddo?  A 2005 Honda RC51? Everything is relative.

Sold/Emeritus

Offline BomberMann650

• Holy Cow! I'm a
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #174 on: June 23, 2016, 01:54:42 pm »
The stock tailpipe of the zx14r isn't the most flattering look for that machine.

But it's sure beautiful on the inside. 
75 CB550F Bloo
03 DS650/720 Bombardier
07 FJR1300; Lydia