Author Topic: New clutch too tight, and some electrical issues... I think  (Read 622 times)

Offline JDeSoto

Hey! So I have a couple of issues and don't really know where to start...

First: after swapping my clutch plates out with the cycle X kit and installing new springs, my clutch is now a super tight bastard. I've made as many adjustments as I could but in the end all I can get is too much free play (about 1/4") and definitely too much tension. Could it be that the springs are too tight? The bike did run after the change (although that didn't last long).

Second: what's going on with my electrics?! Upon rejetting the bike, changing the clutch, replacing the little bits in the starter clutch and tuning the carbs - I thought I'd be good to ride... Unfortunately not. The bike initially had amazing power and moved strongly but then not. I would experience total dead zones in my acceleration - where I could be full throttle and the bike would almost stall. Next I discovered my 2 and 4 cylinders were not hot at all. Spark plugs looked good to me but I may be wrong. Lastly, the battery just kept dying m. In the span of I short few mile ride I had to jump start the thing twice.

I feel like I made two steps forward and three steps back with this one.

You guys are always extremely helpful so I thank you in advance.

-Jon

Offline JDeSoto

Re: New clutch too tight, and some electrical issues... I think
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2016, 10:57:11 am »
By the way it's a K6 750 and the battery is always hooked up to an auto charger when the bike is being wrenched on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline scottly

• Global Moderator
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Humboldt, AZ
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2016, 04:27:23 pm »
The bike initially had amazing power and moved strongly but then not. I would experience total dead zones in my acceleration - where I could be full throttle and the bike would almost stall. Next I discovered my 2 and 4 cylinders were not hot at all. Spark plugs looked good to me but I may be wrong. Lastly, the battery just kept dying m. In the span of I short few mile ride I had to jump start the thing twice.

You need to check the charging system with the bike running. Measure the battery voltage at 4000 RPM, starting with a fully charged battery.
Don't fix it if it ain't broke!
Helmets save brains. Always wear one and ride like everyone is trying to kill you....

Offline calj737

• Really Old Timer ...
  • I refuse...
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2016, 05:42:15 pm »
You need to check the charging system with the bike running. Measure the battery voltage at 4000 RPM, starting with a fully charged battery.
And it sounds like a loose ground wire is haunting you...
'74 550 Build http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=126401.0
'73 500 Build http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=132935.0

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of it's victim may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated, but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." - C.S. Lewis

Offline scottly

• Global Moderator
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Humboldt, AZ
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2016, 06:47:41 pm »
And it sounds like a loose ground wire is haunting you...
???
Don't fix it if it ain't broke!
Helmets save brains. Always wear one and ride like everyone is trying to kill you....