Author Topic: Advance not advancing with electronic ignition  (Read 1291 times)

Offline gregripko

• Hot Shot
Advance not advancing with electronic ignition
« on: June 26, 2016, 07:22:03 pm »
I I installed everything perfectly and I'm trying to do a dynamic timing and the advance isn't moving. Is something potentially stuck or is it an adjustment issue? Here's a video to see what I'm talking about.

https://youtu.be/2Cn579mj8vY

Offline chewbacca5000

• I polish covers!
  • Old Timer
Re: Advance not advancing with electronic ignition
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2016, 08:29:11 pm »
I I installed everything perfectly and I'm trying to do a dynamic timing and the advance isn't moving. Is something potentially stuck or is it an adjustment issue? Here's a video to see what I'm talking about.

https://youtu.be/2Cn579mj8vY

Did you lube it up?  It should advance when over 3500 rpm.  What is your rpm your reving to?

Offline gregripko

• Hot Shot
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2016, 09:12:02 pm »
It's lubed.... Just doesn't advance :/

Offline scottly

• Global Moderator
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Humboldt, AZ
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2016, 09:23:18 pm »
It's either assembled incorrectly, or not made correctly. Please post some pics of the advancer assembly.
Don't fix it if it ain't broke!
Helmets save brains. Always wear one and ride like everyone is trying to kill you....

Offline gregripko

• Hot Shot
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2016, 10:26:51 pm »
What kind of lube is best for that application? Green lube ok?

Offline scottly

• Global Moderator
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Humboldt, AZ
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2016, 10:31:51 pm »
Forget the lube! Are the nubs on the advancer weights properly engaged in the slots in the base of the new rotor?
Helmets save brains. Always wear one and ride like everyone is trying to kill you....

Offline Garage_guy_chris

• Hot Shot
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2016, 10:57:25 pm »
I just did a Dyna S and it occured to me if the replacement rotor for the advancer was too tall when you tightened down the 6mm nut it would bind the assembly and prevent it from moving.  I would check that the rotor is still loose and shorter than the center post on the advancer.
1971 Cb450 Cafe  (on the road)
1974 Cb750 Restomod (on the road)

Offline gregripko

• Hot Shot
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2016, 11:32:00 pm »
Weights properly engaged at base of rotor (in slots).... Ill check height.... I see advance spinning when engine is running... Woud this rule out binding?
« Last Edit: June 26, 2016, 11:33:31 pm by gregripko »

Offline Deltarider

• Really Old Timer ...
  • First round...
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2016, 11:44:03 pm »
I was to ask if maybe your strobe is of the type that you can predial an advance, but the sound I hear makes it more likely the advancer does not advance. Ofcourse it is spinning as it is attached to the crank. Dissassemble and see what can hamper the advancer to swing its weights.
CB500K2-ED Excel black
"There is enough for everyone's need but not enough for anybody's greed."

Offline gregripko

• Hot Shot
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2016, 11:51:32 pm »
Could anything else cause that effect electronically? Or is it more likely mechanical

Offline Deltarider

• Really Old Timer ...
  • First round...
« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2016, 11:58:42 pm »
Could anything else cause that effect electronically? Or is it more likely mechanical
It's mechanical unless your strobe is of the type that you can predial an advance, but listening to the engine I'd say advancer is not advancing.
CB500K2-ED Excel black
"There is enough for everyone's need but not enough for anybody's greed."

Offline gregripko

• Hot Shot
« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2016, 12:00:00 am »
Nah it's just standard.... Simple flashing unit

Offline Garage_guy_chris

• Hot Shot
« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2016, 01:13:52 am »
Weights properly engaged at base of rotor (in slots).... Ill check height.... I see advance spinning when engine is running... Woud this rule out binding?

No because the advancer rotates with the crank  but the advancer cam / rotor has to rotate about 30 deg on top of the advancer to get your timing advance. With everything tightened down and without turning the crank you should be able to turn the rotor on the advancer about 30 deg forward and back. If it won't rotate try loosening the 6mm nut and trying again. If it wont rotate when tight the rotor is likely too tall and will need to be trimmed, sanded or filed shorter.
1971 Cb450 Cafe  (on the road)
1974 Cb750 Restomod (on the road)

Offline gregripko

• Hot Shot
« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2016, 06:46:46 am »

No because the advancer rotates with the crank  but the advancer cam / rotor has to rotate about 30 deg on top of the advancer to get your timing advance. With everything tightened down and without turning the crank you should be able to turn the rotor on the advancer about 30 deg forward and back. If it won't rotate try loosening the 6mm nut and trying again. If it wont rotate when tight the rotor is likely too tall and will need to be trimmed, sanded or filed shorter.

I feel like you're onto something.... I work all week but this sounds like the most logical explanation of what's going on and why it might not be functioning properly

Offline Dunk

• Expert
« Reply #14 on: June 28, 2016, 01:22:19 pm »
I just did a Dyna S and it occured to me if the replacement rotor for the advancer was too tall when you tightened down the 6mm nut it would bind the assembly and prevent it from moving.  I would check that the rotor is still loose and shorter than the center post on the advancer.

^ This I've seen this on Dyna S installs before. Any time you are in there doing anything always verify you cna move the advancer by hand with no resistance aside form that provided by the springs. Very light coat of grease keeps things moving and not rusty.

Offline scottly

• Global Moderator
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Humboldt, AZ
« Reply #15 on: June 28, 2016, 07:37:03 pm »
What kind of lube is best for that application? Green lube ok?
I use a  thin coating of white lithium grease. Axle grease is too thick, and may not allow free movement, especially when cold.

Offline gregripko

• Hot Shot
« Reply #16 on: June 28, 2016, 07:51:13 pm »

^ This I've seen this on Dyna S installs before. Any time you are in there doing anything always verify you cna move the advancer by hand with no resistance aside form that provided by the springs. Very light coat of grease keeps things moving and not rusty.

Garage guy Chris is talking about something else.... By hand the advancer works as it should and rotates slightly allowing weights to open. It's when it's tightened down that it appears to not be able to move. I'll have a look at it this weekend.

Offline gregripko

• Hot Shot
« Reply #17 on: July 02, 2016, 07:38:19 pm »
Ok good news.... The electronic ignitions rotor barrel was taller than the inner barrel of the spring advancer so the center bolt prevented the outer rotor barrel from moving..... I used a digital caliper (harbor freight) and sanded the outer barrel till it was about half a mm below the inner center barrel. Advances perfectly and timed it. Hopefully the electronic ignition works out because it was only $70. Thank you for your help :)
« Last Edit: July 02, 2016, 07:43:12 pm by gregripko »

Offline chewbacca5000

• I polish covers!
  • Old Timer
« Reply #18 on: July 03, 2016, 05:54:17 pm »
Keep us posted on how it works out.  Maybe put up a youtube too.

I use 90 weight gear oil to lube my advance btw.