Author Topic: A service in Milwaukee to clean & polish my metal parts?  (Read 2746 times)

elcid

A service in Milwaukee to clean & polish my metal parts?
« on: November 21, 2006, 01:58:37 pm »
Ok so I got this great deal on the cb550 but there is a ton of corrosion & even rust on it. I attempted to do it myself, but I think I'd rather pay someone to shine it all up. You guys know of a service that will shine up my metal bits?? Thanks!

Offline mrbreeze

• Not your average
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Shut up when you're talkin' to me!!
Re: A service in Milwaukee to clean & polish my metal parts?
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2006, 02:17:28 pm »
You might try some detail shops but I wouldn't count on it being cheap. It is very time consuming work.You would be better off searching the forum for tips on how to do it yourself. Once you get the first piece to shine,it really puts a smile on your face. There are a few people here that posted their work (Seaweb comes to mind).His engine shined up real nice.Just do as much as you feel like at one time(so you don't burn yourself out on it).
MEMBER # 257
Fool me once..shame on you. Fool me twice..I'm kickin' your a$$......

elcid

« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2006, 02:25:14 pm »
Yeah I thought so. Any tips on cleaning the engine, lower forks & then getting off all that corrosion? I don't need a show stopping shine so I want to get it as nice as I can without dismantling. I already have most of the chrome off which is being derusted right now. Help! I have to ship this back to Los Angeles in a week so I hope to get the hardest parts done while here in Milwaukee...

Offline mrbreeze

• Not your average
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Shut up when you're talkin' to me!!
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2006, 02:50:34 pm »
You need to start by stripping the clearcoat. I bought this Orange based stuff in an aerosol can (don't remember the name of it offhand).I imagine any paint remover would work. Just be neat and don't get any on other surfaces. Once you're down to bare aluminum you should flush it well with water.You can then use fine sandpaper to get a nice finish. People use different buffing wheels and compound but you can experiment with what others here used and decide for yourself what is best for you.I use Mothers polish on mine but have heard of better stuff. Search the forum. Good luck and hope it turns out sweet!!!! Post pics.
MEMBER # 257
Fool me once..shame on you. Fool me twice..I'm kickin' your a$$......

Offline cleveland

• Expert
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2006, 02:58:29 pm »
There is a place in Bay View that caters to the cafe crowd, but I forget the name.  

You are talking about a very labor intensive job.  As Mr. Breeze said, your better off doing it yourself.  You might want to do the work when you get back to LA, because it requires time and dismantling of the bike.  Who know, maybe you can get one of those illegals that "will do the jobs no one else want."  ;)

All kidding aside, I believe it is not something that will be a easy as you were hoping.  I live over by the stadium and you might be better of just selling it to be.  ;D

Offline EBCB

• Earache Motorsports
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2006, 03:35:06 pm »
There is a place in Bay View that caters to the cafe crowd, but I forget the name.  

I think it's called "The Shop"

Just around the corner from the Fuel Cafe.

Offline cleveland

• Expert
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2006, 04:09:22 pm »
Yep, that's the one.  I have never been there, but all I hear are good things about the guys that run the place.

I googled it for ya.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&q=the+shop+motorcycle+milwaukee&btnG=Search
« Last Edit: November 21, 2006, 04:20:04 pm by cleveland »

uny2

« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2006, 06:32:53 pm »
elcid,

Here are some photo's of what I did with my parts. It took about 5 hours per part to get to where I am now.  I figure with another 2 hours per part I could really get them to shine.  There are some pesky scratches that I have to work out.  If you have the time it is not hard, just tedious.

ED

elcid

« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2006, 07:51:30 pm »
ok well how in the hell did you do that?? I want mine to look like that but I have no dremels or buffers. How do I just get off what I assume is corrosion? If I could just get all that off, I don't even need the shine just yet. I am just trying to get off ALL corrosion. On the chrome & metal it would be rust on the aluminum what is it called?

Oh yeah I went by The Shop & they definitely run a tight ship over there. Nice guys but I don't think they do what I need plus I think you guys are right it would be too costly.

PS anyone know where in Milkwaukee I can pick up autosol? I heard this would work for the aluminum corrosion...
« Last Edit: November 21, 2006, 08:26:13 pm by elcid »

uny2

« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2006, 09:01:50 pm »
elcid,

I used nothing but wet N dry sand paper, Mothers aluminum polish and elbow grease.  200 grit followed by 400 followed by 600, 800, 1000, and 1200 followed up with the Mothers.  It takes a while but the results are pretty good.  I used WD 40 to wet the paper and used lots of paper.  As soon as it started to load up, I got anew piece.

ED

Offline cleveland

• Expert
« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2006, 10:17:10 pm »
WOW!!!  That looks great.  Got any after pics of the bike together?

Offline Namba1032

« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2006, 11:34:27 pm »
Check this out, A while back someone was talking about doing the same thing and I did to my bike (polishing everything up) and I made told them the procedure I used. People also put other links in the thread showing the types of buffing wheels they used.

http://www.sohc4.us/forums/index.php?topic=14637.msg146354#msg146354

Hope this helps, its really worth it to do it yourself, it is tedious, but a very satisfying job when your done.

Brian

Offline Steve F

• I have "some-timer's disease" because I'm an
  • Old Timer
  • "To Ride Is The Reason, The Destination The Excuse
« Reply #12 on: November 22, 2006, 06:38:33 am »
Maybe you can consider this place.  They do electropolishing.
http://www.ableelectropolishing.com/

uny2

« Reply #13 on: November 22, 2006, 08:09:03 pm »
Cleveland,

I am still taking the bike apart!!  I plan on doing the resto this winter.  I am waiting on a few more parts to go out to paint.  I will paint the frame myself or have it powder coated.  Right now I am taking the engine out to clean it and possibly do a valve job.

ED

elcid

« Reply #14 on: November 22, 2006, 10:12:00 pm »
yayy I found some guy who will come by & help me out. I will post pics of the bike when it is done. I am not restoring it but just cleaning it up a bit. Here is a link to the bike I got:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1978-CB550K-Four-550-Four-LOW-MILES-ORIGINAL-3-710_W0QQitemZ200046082479QQihZ010QQcategoryZ80647QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Offline cleveland

• Expert
« Reply #15 on: November 23, 2006, 08:05:40 am »
Looks pretty nice.  Are you keeping it, or selling it when you get back to LA?

WHALEMAN

« Reply #16 on: November 23, 2006, 08:07:12 am »
Great place in East Moline,Illinois " Dee's Polishing". Cheap and great work.

elcid

« Reply #17 on: November 23, 2006, 06:06:52 pm »
I am keeping that sucker although I could probably get twice as much for it there. I really lucked out. It is only costing me $375 to ship it back too! It looks cleaner in the photos though. There is a lot of surface rust on the bike that doesn't show up in those photos. Although the Oxalic acid is a miracle worker. I should be able to get the rust off of most of the parts but not the frame. So we'll see...

Offline cleveland

• Expert
« Reply #18 on: November 23, 2006, 06:50:03 pm »
Be sure to post pics once you get her in the shape you want her in.  All the work your going to be doing certainly deserves bragging rights.  ;)

elcid

« Reply #19 on: November 24, 2006, 02:18:10 pm »
Fo sho! Thanks for your support guys.

Offline Dragman836

• 0-115 mph. in 11.07 sec.
    • DragMan's MCParts
« Reply #20 on: November 24, 2006, 08:58:14 pm »
ok well how in the hell did you do that?? I want mine to look like that but I have no dremels or buffers. How do I just get off what I assume is corrosion? If I could just get all that off, I don't even need the shine just yet. I am just trying to get off ALL corrosion. On the chrome & metal it would be rust on the aluminum what is it called?

Oh yeah I went by The Shop & they definitely run a tight ship over there. Nice guys but I don't think they do what I need plus I think you guys are right it would be too costly.

PS anyone know where in Milkwaukee I can pick up autosol? I heard this would work for the aluminum corrosion...
Eastwood.com sells it
"ADD NITRO" , Just Do It!