Author Topic: cam chain adjustment woes  (Read 1482 times)

tat2ken

cam chain adjustment woes
« on: November 23, 2006, 02:39:47 pm »
Hi Group,
This is the first time I've used the forum, having always used the mailing list in the past. I'm confused on how to adjust the cam chain on my 76 550F. I bounced back and forth between a Chiltons manual and a Clymers manual. I read previous posts on the forum but it's made me more
confused.
I set the engine by the manual at a static 15 degrees. Loosened the locknut...Now What??
one manual says it automatically sets the tension, one says tighten the adjusting screw and then the locknut.   :-\
The adjusting screw doesn't seem to turn in either direction. If it does it's awfully tight! There is a slight amount of springiness to it.
Can someone walk me thru the procedure, PLEASE.

Ken #558

Offline Jonesy

• Shop Rat
  • Old Timer
  • "Damn! These HM300 Pipes Are Expensive!!!"
Re: cam chain adjustment woes
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2006, 02:47:32 pm »
"Every time I start thinking the world is all bad, then I start seeing people out there having a good time on motorcycles; it makes me take another look." -Steve McQueen

tat2ken

« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2006, 04:09:30 pm »
I read that thread, but it doesn't really answer my question and what the heck is rotational pressure ???

Offline crazypj

• I'm brill, me
  • Old Timer
  • first 100,000 miles. 1977 CB550F
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2006, 06:29:03 pm »
I posted some pictures of the tensioner a couple of months ago but you'll have to hunt them down. Its a gear type of deal internally (rack and pinion). The rotational pressure could be either to the crank or to the tensioner screw slot?
PJ
I fake being smart pretty good
'you can take my word for it or argue until you find out I'm right'

Offline Jonesy

• Shop Rat
  • Old Timer
  • "Damn! These HM300 Pipes Are Expensive!!!"
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2006, 06:49:51 pm »
The key thing to be garnered from the linked thread was that with a 550 you will likely get the best results by adjusting the tension while the bike is running.

I set the engine by the manual at a static 15 degrees. Loosened the locknut...Now What??
Tighten the locknut and ride away. Here's why:

In theory, when you turn the crank 15 degrees past TDC on the compression stroke of cylinder #1, that is the point of the greatest slack on the backside of the cam chain, where the tensioner is located. So, in the perfect world when the cam chain is in this state all you do is loosen the locknut and the tensioner automatically springs itself into the correct tension. You then tighten the locknut and that's it. But, as have been the experience of many on this board, they tend to get stuck or gummed up and rarely work as intended.

The tensioner screw will have a springy feel to it. As crazypj described, the tensioner consists of a curved spring steel blade with a rubberized teflon coating with a metal bar on each end. Each bar has gear teeth on it and there is a small pinion gear linking them. This is what the tensioner screw is attached to. When the gear turns in the screw counter-clockwise, it pulls the bars towards each other which in turn bows out the blade, tightening the chain.

When TwoTired referred to "rotational pressure", he meant twisting the adjuster screw in one direction or another. If the noise gets worse, go the other direction. Twist the screw back and forth with a screwdriver while the engine is running at idle until you find the spot where the cam chain noise is minimal. As I said in the other post, the window for this is rather small (1/8 to 1/4 of a turn at most), so work carefully for best results.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2006, 06:58:03 pm by Jonesy »
"Every time I start thinking the world is all bad, then I start seeing people out there having a good time on motorcycles; it makes me take another look." -Steve McQueen

tat2ken

« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2006, 07:56:06 am »
I tried to turn the screw in both directions but it's not happening! I simply tightened the locknut and hoped for the best. The bike has only 10k miles on it so maybe the chain wasn't too far out of adjustment. I adjusted the valves which were getting a bit loud and I don't know if they ever were adjusted. The ticking has quieted down but the whirring of what I assume is the cam chain is still there. It's not overly obnoxious but I tend to hear noises that most people don't and tend to dwell on them  :-\