Author Topic: looking for a mechanic NY  (Read 1323 times)

Offline suprafabs

looking for a mechanic NY
« on: July 27, 2016, 11:48:45 am »
hey whats up guys, In the middle of doing a dual disc upgrade in my 76 CB750 and having some difficulties aligning the right pivot harm. after spending a lot of time and effort, I have decided to take it somewhere to get it done but i don't know any CB750 experts. If anyone has any recommendations of a mechanic near Long island  New York please let me know.

Offline calj737

• Really Old Timer ...
  • I refuse...
Re: looking for a mechanic NY
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2016, 12:03:02 pm »
Do you mean the caliper mounting arm or the rear swing arm?
'74 550 Build http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=126401.0
'73 500 Build http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=132935.0

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of it's victim may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated, but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." - C.S. Lewis

Offline Ericcb750

• Hot Shot
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2016, 12:14:26 pm »
Hey Suprafabs, The Forum members may be able to help buddy. Its hard to find guys who know these older bikes, especially well enough to know about dual disk conversions. I'm wondering if maybe some of the spacing is off? That or is the pivot arm mounted between the fender and the lower fork leg? I did that on mine and the pivot arm was at a bit of an angle. Once I moved the fender mounts to the inside, it lined up correctly....

should be fender...Pivot arm... fork leg.  Hope that's all it is. Good luck buddy.
1978 CB750K
1978 CB750F super sport
2005 Sportster 1208

Offline suprafabs

« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2016, 02:22:10 pm »
I know its definitely alignment issue, I been trying adding washers here and there and slight better but haven't quiet got it yet. I have read in a previous post about someone shaving off some of the larger lower bolt on the lower fork but Im worries about shaving too much and end up with messed up forks!

if anyone has some good tips how to go about it, please PM

Offline Rookster

• Hot Shot
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2016, 02:36:55 pm »
Shave the bracket not the fork leg.  The bracket can be replaced pretty easily if you mess it up.  You have a 1976 CB750 so you should have the T shaped bracket.  There were several versions of this bracket for different bikes.  They look the same but the arms are different lengths.  Make sure your right side bracket is the same as you stock left side bracket.  Post some pics of what you have.

Scott

Offline DaveBarbier

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2016, 06:49:58 pm »
I really doubt a shop will be able to shave off the needed amount to make the dual disc work. I wouldn't trust them anyway.

You can shave the pivot bracket but you'll need to remove some material on the fork itself.

Check out my build thread for my dual disc conversion. I had a different method for seeing how much you need to remove from the fork which worked perfectly for me.

http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=140833.msg1698261#msg1698261

Offline scottly

• Global Moderator
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Humboldt, AZ
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2016, 10:01:18 pm »
Post some pics of what you have.

Scott
1+ The front hub isn't symmetrical, and the right side rotor will sit about .125" more inboard than the stock left side, unless you have mounted the rotor on top of the speedometer drive. The lower mounting lug on the lower right fork leg sticks out about .095" more than the left side, so if the rotor is properly mounted, would theoretically require a .030" shim. The easiest way I know of to align the caliper is similar to what Dave linked. Remove or loosen the mounting bolts, and clamp the caliper firmly onto the rotor by squeezing the brake lever. Wiggle the caliper around until you find the place it wants to be with both pads flat against the rotor, and check the gaps so see where shims need to be added, or, if the mounting bracket is pressed hard up against a lug, material needs to be removed. It will also make a difference if you are using new or worn pads, as the pads wear at an angle. 
Don't fix it if it ain't broke!
Helmets save brains. Always wear one and ride like everyone is trying to kill you....

Offline suprafabs

« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2016, 07:06:28 pm »
thanks for the pointers, Im going to try to give it another shoot over the weekend, really hope i get it, this job seemed so simple and is turning into a nightmare.....

thanks guys

Offline DaveBarbier

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2016, 06:18:06 am »
Assuming the hub, spacers and disc carriages are all the same thickness in the 750's, could you try measuring the distance between the fork bosses and comparing them to someone's that has dual disc setup properly? In my mind that would give you the measurement goal and then you'd shave off the difference from the questionable fork.

Offline atm cycles

• Hot Shot
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2016, 07:01:30 am »
There is a spacer/adapter out there that goes behind the speedo drive.

Offline suprafabs

« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2016, 09:47:59 am »
thanks for tips, Im a give it a shot myself once again at some point, keep you guys posted

Offline suprafabs

« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2016, 09:16:58 am »
Might be a stupid question but, if rim is slight bent, would it affect how the caliper /pad come into contact with the rotor?

Offline flybox1

• My wife thinks I'm a
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2016, 09:40:23 am »
Focus on the vertical face of the brake pivot arm, and how it compares to the vertical face of the rotor
Once these are equal/parallel, then the brake pads will sit flush, and prevent the piston from locking in the caliper.
Some small straight edges will really help here.
'78 750K (F3 engine) PD42b's, Modified airbox w/K&N  filter, 40/110 jets, 1 needle shim, IMS@ 1 turn out. Kerker + Cone 18" QuietCore

Past Bikes
1974 550K0 (stock), 1973 CB350F (stock), 1983 Yamaha XS400K (POS)
77/78 cool 2 member #3
"Knowledge without mileage equals bullsh!t" - Henry Rollins

"This is my CB. There are many like it, but this one is mine…"

Offline calj737

• Really Old Timer ...
  • I refuse...
« Reply #13 on: August 02, 2016, 11:29:29 am »
Might be a stupid question but, if rim is slight bent, would it affect how the caliper /pad come into contact with the rotor?
No, the rim is positioned by the spokes, the rotor by the hub, the caliper by the fork leg. Same geography, different land countries...
'74 550 Build http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=126401.0
'73 500 Build http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=132935.0

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of it's victim may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated, but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." - C.S. Lewis