Author Topic: oil temperature range ?  (Read 1764 times)

Offline Serge

• Enthusiast
  • cb750f 1978
oil temperature range ?
« on: November 20, 2006, 09:39:58 pm »
Hey, I bought a little electronic guage from casporttouring.com with battery voltmeter and remote temperature sensor included and wanted to mount it so I could get an oil temperature readings. I just found that it is only good up to 80 C (it turned out it was really designed for cars for outside temperature reading).  Anyone measured what is the normal range of oil temperature in the oil tank?  Thanks !
if it ain't broken it does not have enough features yet..

Offline kghost

• Really Old Timer ...
  • www.facebook.com/RetroMecanicaAustralia
Re: oil temperature range ?
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2006, 10:27:24 pm »
I haven't see an number listed anywhere.

Maybe someone will jump in with a honda number

What I can tell you is that on aircraft air cooled engines the upper limit is about 100 - 110 C.

Thats a pretty standard number across the board in terms of size of engine too. From 65 hp to 2400 hp.

In an aircooled engine the oil does help with the cooling to a degree.

I have measured mine before and after cooler installation. With a cooler it hits about 95 C under extreme conditions.
Stranger in a strange land

Offline Serge

• Enthusiast
  • cb750f 1978
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2006, 10:40:32 pm »
thanks Kghost !  I figured it should be above 80 C.. Maybe I just install it as oil level indicator.. My bike seems to eat quite a lot of oil when spun above 6000 for a while..

I must tell I am mesmerrized by your avatar  :o, gotta go back to a parking lot to burn some clutch again;)

Offline scondon

• No way my run was THAT slow, must be an
  • Old Timer
  • Mmmm......tasty bugs
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2006, 11:30:19 pm »
    Serge, I couldn't help but notice you were burning oil when we rode together in August. Mostly when you were decellerating.You burn the most oil when you let off the throttle at high rpm's. I imagine you go through a quart a month, no?

Not sure if it's your rings or valves.Did you replace the valve guides when you had that F2 motor apart?
Give me..a frame to build a bike on, and my imagination will build upon that frame

Offline mrbreeze

• Not your average
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Shut up when you're talkin' to me!!
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2006, 12:55:40 am »
I second Sean's diagnosis on the valve guides. My old Chevelle 396 did that.There was a big prob with that engine due to poor valve geometry. If you over revved them, it was said that the valve stems were "side loaded" and would take the valve guides out in no time. The cure was to either run roller rockers or ditch the 396 heads and install 427's. I sold mine before it got too bad but it was already going through oil,STP,spark plugs,etc. It did the same thing as you describe though, blue smoke out the tail pipes on decel. I would imagine bad valve seals would do the same....maybe even worse.
MEMBER # 257
Fool me once..shame on you. Fool me twice..I'm kickin' your a$$......

Offline bryanj

• Really Old Timer ...
  • CB500 Number 1000036
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2006, 01:18:24 am »
If its an F2 burning blue on the overrun i will guarantee its bad exhaust guides and when the stem seals eventually let go it will get down to less than 150 miles per pint (english)
Semi Geriatric ex-Honda mechanic and MOT tester (UK version of annual inspection). Garage full of "projects" mostly 500/4 from pre 73 (no road tax in UK).

Remember "Its always in the last place you look" COURSE IT IS YOU STOP LOOKIN THEN!

Offline mrbreeze

• Not your average
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2006, 11:26:28 am »
Winter is just about here!! Time to yank the head on that bad boy!!!!
MEMBER # 257

Offline dusterdude

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2006, 01:14:25 pm »
I second Sean's diagnosis on the valve guides. My old Chevelle 396 did that.There was a big prob with that engine due to poor valve geometry. If you over revved them, it was said that the valve stems were "side loaded" and would take the valve guides out in no time. The cure was to either run roller rockers or ditch the 396 heads and install 427's. I sold mine before it got too bad but it was already going through oil,STP,spark plugs,etc. It did the same thing as you describe though, blue smoke out the tail pipes on decel. I would imagine bad valve seals would do the same....maybe even worse.
thats cause it was @*+"|<* bowtie.
mark
1972 k1 750
1949 fl panhead
1 1/2 gl1100 goldwings
1998 cbr600 f3

Offline mrbreeze

• Not your average
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2006, 01:23:45 pm »
I know Duster!!!! I had that car when I was in the Navy back in 74'. I used to run around with this gal that had a 69' Charger....383,4 speed manual. That car kicked my Chevelle's ass every time.There are plenty of other GM's that could keep up though.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2006, 02:05:31 pm by mrbreeze »
MEMBER # 257

Offline dusterdude

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2006, 01:57:02 pm »
did you keep the gal or the charger?
mark
1972 k1 750
1949 fl panhead
1 1/2 gl1100 goldwings
1998 cbr600 f3

Offline mrbreeze

• Not your average
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2006, 02:07:42 pm »
Neither one.My bad....she was hot and the Charger was cool too!!! ;D
MEMBER # 257

Offline Serge

• Enthusiast
  • cb750f 1978
« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2006, 12:32:46 am »
Winter is just about here!! Time to yank the head on that bad boy!!!!

Winter in CA central valley is a great time to ride  :P !! 

Offline Serge

• Enthusiast
  • cb750f 1978
« Reply #12 on: November 22, 2006, 12:55:33 am »
    Serge, I couldn't help but notice you were burning oil when we rode together in August. Mostly when you were decellerating.You burn the most oil when you let off the throttle at high rpm's. I imagine you go through a quart a month, no?

Not sure if it's your rings or valves.Did you replace the valve guides when you had that F2 motor apart?

Thanks Sean!  I did not replaced the quides when I did head gasket.  I did check that cylinders wear was within tolerances in manual. I took the valves out and replaced the seals but I did not touch guides, since I wanted just to put it back together ASAP and ride ;).  It eats oil quite fast when I run it above 5 k ...  Our ride with 100+ highway miles took more than a quart.. I do not ride on highways regularly, mostly to work to lunch to home in town, so I do not have to add it too oftern normally...

Offline mrbreeze

• Not your average
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #13 on: November 22, 2006, 06:29:29 am »
I hear ya Serge! I've been riding a bit lately and the cool weather is great for performance.When the rain starts flying,I'll be shuttin' it down. All I'm saying is I would rather pull the head in the winter than have the bike down in the summer. Sorry to hear about the valve guides though (especially if you just had the head off recently).Was it using oil before you pulled the head?
MEMBER # 257

Offline Serge

• Enthusiast
  • cb750f 1978
« Reply #14 on: November 25, 2006, 10:23:34 pm »
Was it using oil before you pulled the head?

yes, it did, but I thought the oil ended up on my pants  due to head gasket leaking  badly (also mostly at high rpm).
with 78 F model I have, Honda does not carry new valves (though they do for older models which share the smaller ones I guess). The ones in the engine now are kind of pitted and some of them damaged on the top. Replacing the guides and the valves would be close to what I payed for the bike ;). Not counting the time off the bike ..

I am thinking of getting another head on occasion which would be compartible with the block and do the swap when it will get really ugly with oil consumption ..

« Last Edit: November 25, 2006, 11:34:07 pm by Serge »