Author Topic: Dmv can't locate title in wisconsin so I'm going the Vermont way but I have ?'s  (Read 4385 times)

Offline Thekramer666

Ive seen other states but maybe someone recently been through this here in wisconsin can give me a heads up
« Last Edit: August 22, 2016, 12:04:26 pm by Thekramer666 »
Please check your messages & follow up on your posts!!
76' CB550F SS

Offline b52bombardier1

• Hot Shot
Re: Dmv can't locate title in wisconsin anyone know my next step?
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2016, 07:08:27 pm »
Hello,

There's always Vermont for a registration and a plate.  Then convert the Vermont reggie to a Wisconsin title.  Please understand that Vermont does not care where you live - it's a money thing for them and a courtesy to owners of vacation homes in the state.  Fill out Vermont DMV Form 119 and you are on your way.

Here's a few other notes:

1 - Have a VIN verification form from your state police that indicates "NCIC negative". This shows that it is not stolen after being checked in the National Crime Information Center computer. They most likely check for this in Vermont as well but go ahead and make this statement on the VIN verification / inspection form - whatever it’s called in your state. The most important thing here seems to be that it is all on an official form from a police organization in your area. A special Vermont form for this inspection is not required.

2 - Maybe even more important, somewhere on the VIN verification form ask your same police officer from Step 1 above to make some kind of a statement that the bike is roadworthy, that it meets or exceeds the laws of your state to legally be on the road.

3 - Put a realistic value for your bike on Form 119 and pay a reasonable amount of tax. For me, the magic dollar value seems to be 500 bucks for my street-legal minibikes which is still only $30 in tax - not bad, for what I'm getting. Debating the clerk that you got the bike for free from your brother-in-law, rescue pulled it out from being buried in a landfill or your bill of sale only says $200 will not get us very far. Vermont valued my Aermacchi bike through NADA at about $1175 in fair condition at the zip code for Montpelier, Vermont - 05603. You will pay $48.00 for the basic registration and plate plus 6% sales tax . . . whatever that dollar amount is. A certified appraiser could rate your bike value at less than $500 but really . . . just pay the tax. Let’s not kill the goose that lays the green plates here.

4 - They have not asked me for this and the VT Form 119 instructions say nothing about it but I included a copy of my insurance card for this bike - it shows that you are serious about registering your bike.

5 – Vermont does not give one hoot or care about where you live, whether you own property in the state, have ever flown over the state or even if you like Vermont maple syrup or not. This is all about revenue generation for them. Publicly, they state that many people have second homes in Vermont that they keep year-round vehicles at. So they make it easy to register them in Vermont.

6 – Print the companion instructions for Form 119 attached above and TAKE THEM WITH YOU to your DMV office. These instructions clearly explain why you will not have a title. Our Honda  bikes are older than fifteen years old which means no title from Vermont and having
the instructions with you will assist in your discussions with the clerk in your state. During this
discussion, offer as little additional information as possible and try your best to remain mute on
your knowledge about any previous but now lost title. Let the Vermont facts about no titles for
vehicles this old rest on its own merits, if possible.

7 – Your bill of sale does not need to be notarized. I say again, no notarization is required.

8 – You have zero dollars to lose or risk here. They will not cash your personal check unless
they intend to plate and register your bike.

Steps 1, 2 & 3 have slowed me down before so if you can at least answer those points, you
should be fine. There’s nothing quite like a piece of tin with some numbers on it to make you
feel good.

Rick
« Last Edit: August 19, 2016, 07:23:33 pm by b52bombardier1 »
1971 School Bus Yellow Aermacchi H-D Sprint 350
1972 Candy Yellow CL100 K2
1972 Candy Jet Green Honda CB500
1973 Mighty Green ST90 K0
1974 Mars Orange CT90 K5
1975 Topaz Orange ST90 K2
1976 Shiny Orange CT90
2006 Honda Foreman 500 (restored)

Offline Thekramer666

« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2016, 09:00:53 pm »
Spose I got some things to take care of before that I'll see what they told my dad when they called maybe they said there's a different form we can fill out to do it here thx if I must I'll resort to your reply
76' CB550F SS

Offline George_s

« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2016, 11:57:02 am »
That's a great post Rick. For all the times this question comes up, the forum administrator should make your post a sticky or put it in the FAQ section.

Offline Thekramer666

« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2016, 06:30:55 pm »
They speak of a surety bond because I highly doubt my dad will find previous registrations from 40 yrs ago
76' CB550F SS

Offline b52bombardier1

• Hot Shot
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2016, 07:09:40 am »
Some states have surety bond titles and some don't.  You will need to check with your state DMV office for that additional bit of information.

Rick

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

1971 School Bus Yellow Aermacchi H-D Sprint 350
1972 Candy Yellow CL100 K2
1972 Candy Jet Green Honda CB500
1973 Mighty Green ST90 K0
1974 Mars Orange CT90 K5
1975 Topaz Orange ST90 K2
1976 Shiny Orange CT90
2006 Honda Foreman 500 (restored)

Offline Thekramer666

« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2016, 08:34:06 am »
Yea they do it here that's what I'll be doing just gotta get the process started but now I'm wondering if because I sent the request for lost title in with my dad's information and nothing was found maybe I should just do this new paperwork in my name so I don't have to eventually transfer a title and hassle him for information all the time
76' CB550F SS

Offline Johnie

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2016, 09:11:16 am »
It is such a hassle to get a title in WI that I just went the VT route. Faster and cheaper too. The WI DMV has a form you can fill out and send in $5 and they will tell you who the bike was registered to last. But if they have no info on it then you are in a bind. Keep in mind VT only issues registrations on bikes over 20 years old, no titles. I kept and used my VT registration and plate for a year then took the registration card to the WI DMV with title application. No problem...
1970 CB750K0 - Candy Ruby Red
1973 CB750K3 - Candy Bacchus Olive or Sunflake Orange
1970 Chevy Chevelle SS396 - Cortez Silver
1976 GL1000 sulphur yellow (current project)

Oshkosh, WI  USA

Offline Thekramer666

« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2016, 11:18:05 am »
Now that you mention that I think I'm goin to do this Vermont title stuff seeing as I'm 100% sure this bike hasn't been stolen or anything but sat in my grandma's basement for 25 yrs n then outside a few thanks all for the help tp this frequently asked question
76' CB550F SS

Offline Harsh

• Expert
  • 74 CB750, 07 Triumph Daytona 675, two 72 CB350's
Another route is through Virginia's abandoned vehicle section.

You log in and pay a $25 VIN national search fee.  If it comes back clean you then move onto the waiting periods.  You put the vehicle up for "auction" through the DMV's site.  It isn't a true auction since nobody is bidding on the vehicle.  It is so a registered owner has a chance to look for their vehicle, but they have to have the VIN to do it and be actively looking for it.  Hell to even find that section on the website is damn near impossible.  Once that waiting period (30 days) is up you move onto the second "auction" phase.  The same rules apply, but this time is so a lien holder can look.  Once that waiting period (30 days) is up you can mail in or go into the DMV and get a clean title.  If you choose to register it you can as well, but be prepared to pay the communistwealths commonwealths taxes.

I have done a number of bikes like this and have never had an issue.  The only pain is the waiting periods and ensuring you print and keep a copy of all of the paperwork.  I wrote all this up nice and neat like Rick did a couple of years ago.

Offline Thekramer666

Thanks yea I'm not in a hurry times on my side for now
76' CB550F SS

Offline Thekramer666

Found my title ..I think haha engine # match but gotta see what state says
« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2016, 12:54:51 pm »
News on my story here I've found! the title my dad titled this bike with but it's titled under the motor # and the plates match what i have for it but gotta go pick it up later from him maybe that's how wisconsin did it in 86' idk will have to see what dmv says now
« Last Edit: October 09, 2016, 01:40:25 pm by Thekramer666 »
76' CB550F SS

Offline Stev-o

• Ain't no
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Central Texas
News on my story here I've found! the title my dad titled this bike with but it's titled under the motor # and the plates match what i have for it but gotta go pick it up later from him maybe that's how wisconsin did it in 86' idk will have to see what dmv says now

Yes, for some reason WI titled under the engine number back then.
'74 "Big Bang" Honda 750K [836].....'71 Honda 750K project.....'76 Honda 550F.....K3 Park Racer!......and a Bomber!............plus plus plus.........

Offline Thekramer666

Sweet should be simple enough to go n title it then thanks stev-o

Sent from my SM-G900R4 using Tapatalk

76' CB550F SS