Author Topic: 78 GL1000 after sitting 20 yrs. refuses to be as good as my old 79.  (Read 12899 times)

Offline Don R

• My Sandcast is a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Saver of unloved motorcycles.
 When I was younger I commuted down to 40*F. Anything lower and my knees ached all morning. I didn't have lowers on that bike, just the windjammer.
  When I became a plumber and tried to ride my bike to work my boss asked if I didn't need a truck because he could give it to someone else. I burned his gas from then on.  When he rode his bike (cb350 twin) to work the tinners put it in the bathroom. He never rode it again. Bastards.
If the things you own end up owning you, it's better to be owned by some cool things.

Offline Don R

• My Sandcast is a
  • Really Old Timer ...
 This is the thread on the idler rebuilds.  Scroll to the end for the best pictueres.
 https://ngwclub.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=14186
If the things you own end up owning you, it's better to be owned by some cool things.

Offline Don R

• My Sandcast is a
  • Really Old Timer ...
 I've been riding the wing off and on all year. Tonight the battery was really low and it wouldn't even bump the starter. I didn't even think to read the digital voltmeter. I charged it until it started and rode it a while. It's on the maintainer now.

It still has a rushing ball bearing noise, (ssshhhhhh) mostly noticeable in second or third gears. I'm thinking of getting a check ride at my buddy's bike shop to see what he thinks.

Offline Don R

• My Sandcast is a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  The low speed miss still exists and I've had a pro clean the carbs. I've replaced the entire ignition and fuel system except the tank. Tonight, it occurred to me the fuel pickup tube must be sucking air inside the tank. I topped off the gas tank and it ran nearly perfectly. It is new tank time after all. 

Offline low-side

Re: Another 78 GL1000 after sitting 20 yrs, fuel line in tank sucks air?
« Reply #179 on: August 23, 2018, 10:28:58 am »
Don.  I've got 2 tanks, but both have some surface rust inside.  The 1 from the '79 is probably best as it has more varnish than rust inside.  I can't make any promises on the condition of the tubes inside, but they look good.  If you're interested, I will try to get some pics.  PM me on this or the NGW board if interested.

Offline Don R

• My Sandcast is a
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #180 on: September 05, 2018, 08:24:05 am »
 When you're tried everything and it still runs lousy. I'm going to try a moving bike IV bottle to see if it runs better. with a full tank of gas it only runs good sometimes. I'm also considering buying the set of gl1100 carbs I borrowed for Sturgis last year. It seemed good with that set on it.  3 to 4 hundred.

Offline Don R

• My Sandcast is a
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #181 on: September 05, 2018, 02:15:32 pm »
 I put the IV bottle on the luggage rack, hooked to the fuel pump and ran a quart of gas through it. It mostly ran the same. I refilled with 50/50 race gas (because it was what I had left) and it ran much better, I switched back to the tank and it ran like it did on race gas. What I learned is, it ran ok warm today. That is all. Maybe I'll add some race gas to the tank.
 The only other idea I have is to drain the tank through the petcock and look to see how far down it drains. If there's a pinhole in the feed line it won't siphon past that point. Right?

Offline Don R

• My Sandcast is a
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #182 on: September 07, 2018, 08:35:37 pm »
 My brother and I both got new gl1000 petcocks about the same time, his is sucking air at the petcock to tank seal. His bike has been parked a year or so with a low tank.  I siphoned out the bad gas and could hear his sucking air. I sprayed WD40 on it and it would stop sucking air for a few seconds, then start again. Since you can't buy the seals without the petcock I stacked two o rings on each port in his and bolted it up. So far so good. I filled mine with gas and it doesn't leak out but I'm unsure if it will hold a suction. 

Offline Don R

• My Sandcast is a
  • Really Old Timer ...
 Runs great, gas goes down 30 or 40 miles. Runs lousy. I rebuilt the air cut off and it seemed better. After a ride not better, topped off tank. Runs fine.  I'm going to open the idle screws a bit and continue to look for a good tank.

Offline Don R

• My Sandcast is a
  • Really Old Timer ...
 I have a gas tank on the way from Pennsylvania, and I'm planning to add a relay to the ignition to insure proper voltage to the coils. 

Offline Don R

• My Sandcast is a
  • Really Old Timer ...
 I ran it on an IV bottle again still runs crappy, not the gas tank or petcock. A digital voltmeter reads 13.4 volts after the ign switch while running. I have a set of loaner 1100 test carbs that worked well on it before. I'm really sick of taking the carbs off and on. I'll test the fuel pump pressure and flow next, then try the loaner carbs. I'm really close to parting it out.

Offline Don R

• My Sandcast is a
  • Really Old Timer ...
Re: Another 78 GL1000 after sitting 20 yrs, next up, 1100 test carbs.
« Reply #186 on: November 08, 2018, 03:26:23 pm »
 I put on my buddies loaner carbs, they spew gas all over and didn't want to start. It finally started, sputtered and chugged. I warmed it up until the gas leak was scary and shut 'er down. I decided to go back to basics, 110 lbs compression, 2-3% leakdown, the valve lash is .004", the right intakes were slightly tight. I checked the timing on the flywheel the last time the carbs were off. It's good. The dyna is making good spark,  The manifolds have no cracks or leaks that blowing into them with a shop vac and spraying soapy water can detect. When I changed the idlers I checked the timing marks, the cams are spot on. I checked the slides with a shop vac, I can feel them go up and down with the throttle blades.  I bought a newer gas tank but apparently I chose a bad seller, tomorrow I'm filing a claim with paypal.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2018, 03:32:42 pm by Don R »

Offline Prospect

• Expert
Re: 78 GL1000 after sitting 20 yrs. refuses to be as good as my old 79.
« Reply #187 on: November 09, 2018, 12:47:24 pm »
What was wrong with the new tank?
Current Bikes

1969 CB750  Sandcast
1971 CB750K1
1972 CB750K1
1975 CB400F
1975 GL1000 Goldwing
1976 Yamaha XT500
1954 Harley Davidson Panhead
1957 Harley Davidson Panhead

Toronto Canada

Offline Don R

• My Sandcast is a
  • Really Old Timer ...
Re: 78 GL1000 after sitting 20 yrs. refuses to be as good as my old 79.
« Reply #188 on: November 09, 2018, 08:34:06 pm »
 It took over two weeks after I paid to get him to actually ship it. He was busy, the bike wasn't at his house, he works long hours, he's really sorry, he forgot, he's not a professional parts seller, not an amateur part seller, not home and can't get the tracking number. had to pack it, get a box, lalalala. had to go to ups, I really felt like I was being taken for a ride.
  When I get it will be three weeks since I sent the money. I'd prefer to make a new friend than have to hassle a guy, why's it gotta be like this? 
  The bike's on the lift and I'm not enjoying owning it much, spent too much to sell it now. I am however really good at pulling the carbs. 
« Last Edit: November 09, 2018, 08:41:05 pm by Don R »

;