Author Topic: 78 GL1000 20 year sleeper! Seat cover.  (Read 45733 times)

Offline Don R

• My Sandcast is a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Saver of unloved motorcycles.
Re: 78 GL1000 after sitting 20 yrs. refuses to be as good as my old 79.
« Reply #200 on: December 23, 2018, 12:51:51 pm »
The cleaned and lined tank's in, The lash is triple checked, the timing is triple checked, new fuel filter and fuel line, I noticed the OK looking filters seem to be difficult to blow through. I'm hoping things will work better now, even though I haven't really found the smoking gun.
No matter how many times you paint over a shadow, it's still there.
If you love it, set it free, if it stays it's probably one of my 750's.
 CEO at the no kill motorcycle shop.

Offline RAFster122s

• I feel like a really really
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • SOHC4 member # 2605
« Reply #201 on: December 23, 2018, 02:06:59 pm »
Filters don't sound "good" for them to be difficult to blow through. Is that with them attached to the downstream plumbing or into the tank?
Glad you've gotten it close to starting up again.
David- back in the desert SW!

Offline Don R

• My Sandcast is a
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #202 on: December 23, 2018, 05:46:01 pm »
 The filters were off the bike when I blew through the lines. I replaced them with one new one, with new rubber fuel line, checked the pump pressure, it strokes over 20 psi Dead ended. It then held 10 for a few minutes. I hooked the fuel hose to my IV bottle as high as I can get it and cranked the motor. I could see the fuel level increase with every pulse. I've concluded the new pump is installed properly. I triple checked the timing, coils and plug wire routing. Anything wrong just about has to be in the carbs.
 I've been in it so many times the intake valves are pristine, I spray seafoam on the stems every time I take the carbs off. The first time I scraped them and vacuumed the ports clean. No buildup now.

Offline grcamna2

• Not a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • I love to restore & travel. Keep'em Going Strong !
« Reply #203 on: December 24, 2018, 01:37:00 pm »
Hi Don,
Have you tried lightly blowing(human pressure rather than air compressor) into the rubber hose for the fuel inlet to your rack of carbs ? I wonder if the float needles somehow got sealed closed?
75' CB400F/'bunch o' parts' & 81' CB125S modded to a 'CB200S'
  I love the small ones too !
Do your BEST...nobody can take that away from you.

Offline Don R

• My Sandcast is a
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #204 on: December 25, 2018, 09:37:33 pm »
Hi Don,
Have you tried lightly blowing(human pressure rather than air compressor) into the rubber hose for the fuel inlet to your rack of carbs ? I wonder if the float needles somehow got sealed closed?

Yes I have thanks. I had that on a cb400f once, there was some sort of orange fuel residue gluing things closed. The bike belonged to a boat mechanic when I got it.
 I've been in the carbs 3 times and had a pro clean and rebuild them once. I don't think that was really 20 psi from the pump, probably inches of water column. I'll have to read the gauge again. At any rate I'm hoping the sealed clean tank, fuel lines and filter will somehow alleviate the poor performance.  There were enough small rust particles in the old gas that came out to tinge it red. I'll filter it again and run it through the junky old lawn mower.
I learned you can blow into a big block V8 engine and find a bad gasket, soapy water can help on small ones. I wouldn't have believed it but someone told me to try it and it worked. I've since passed that along to my drag racing buddies with vacuum pump problems.

Offline Don R

• My Sandcast is a
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #205 on: December 29, 2018, 03:21:21 pm »
 I got it together, the start relay is balky I need to tap it with a finger on most tries. I gave it the usual amount of choke and think I wetted a plug or two, rode it around the neighborhood at dusk. It didn't clean out and was dripping from somewhere when I got back.
 Beer time, and situation normal in Don's wing world. I believe it loves being retired as much as I do and refuses to return to work. I've got about $1400 in my $100 dollar Goldwing now. There's a nice looking one just like it for a grand online. Runs and appears to have better paint.

Offline Don R

• My Sandcast is a
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #206 on: January 02, 2019, 01:04:16 pm »
 Anyway, it starts and runs #1 floods over and makes a mess in the plenum but if I fill the float bowls, dry the plugs and start it up with the fuel off it runs pretty good. A five count of open petcock every couple minutes and I can ride it around the neighborhood. I believe I'm on to something now. It's a shame I can't seem to unstick the float, it might be fixed aside from that.
  I should keep a maintenance record in each bike, I know I've done new float valves but was it this bike or the 79?

Offline Don R

• My Sandcast is a
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #207 on: January 04, 2019, 04:16:22 pm »
 Now we're getting to the meat of it, I took the carbs off and went to my local mom and pop bike shop.  The fuel passages were full of rust. I must have screwed up with fuel filters or something. Anyway, we re-cleaned the carbs, jets and plenum passages, put in 4 new float valves, bench checked the floats and valves. Charlie checked everything with a spark plug magnifier. So far so good. I brought the set home and put them on the IV bottle for a longer time and gas showed up in the plenum seam. I ordered a few sets of Radaaks carb, plenum and petcock seals, I have installed a new Honda fuel filter and flushed the lines. I took the fuel pump apart and checked for rust inside, it looks clean and new as it should. Once I get the plenum sealed up I have high hopes of a good running bike that I'll leave at home this summer when we ride750's to Mid Ohio!

Offline Don R

• My Sandcast is a
  • Really Old Timer ...
 I'm going to consult the manual and split the plenum so it'll be ready to go when the seals get here. Part 2 is I'm going to clean the Webers for my 750 too.
 Edit, I split the plenum, it needed it one fuel passage was gnarly, gasket ick on both sides. I realized I could probably have used 3 o rings and glue the air seal back in but the good stuff is already on route.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2019, 06:01:11 pm by Don R »

Offline Don R

• My Sandcast is a
  • Really Old Timer ...
 I got the Randaak's seals today. I removed the carbs from the plenum and replaced the carb to plenum seals and the plenum split seal I used my new lighted magnifying glass to check the passages and blew them out some more. I'm convinced I'm on to something. With any luck and no babysitting I'll get the carbs back on tomorrow. I just need to get the linkage reconnected on the one side and it's ready to go back on. woodehoo!

Edit, I filled the carb rack with fuel from the IV bottle and let it sit for an hour. No leaking, Now I'm ready to put them on in time for the big snow emergency. IE: no test ride.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2019, 04:11:04 pm by Don R »

Offline Don R

• My Sandcast is a
  • Really Old Timer ...
 I let it sit for two days with 3' of head pressure on the fuel system. No plenum leaks and no float issues. I got it all back together, it starts right up and idles nicely. I can still barely hear something go shht,,,,,,,,,shht,,,,,  when it first started, then it went away. I'll adjust the idle screws but I'm proceeding on the assumption it's 99% good to go.  The streets are icy and salted with 8" of snow on the way so I'm done for a while. I put the new to me K0 750 on the lift for fork gaiters and neck bearings.
 Lesson of the job, if you have a rusty gas tank just fix it first and a clean looking fuel filter may not pass fuel. If you zip tie a magnet tightly to a plastic fuel filter it may rupture the filter media inside and you can't see it.

Offline RAFster122s

• I feel like a really really
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • SOHC4 member # 2605
Don, glad you have her sorted out...throw some fuel stabilizer in the tank and on to the next one...
David- back in the desert SW!

Offline Don R

• My Sandcast is a
  • Really Old Timer ...
 Thanks, I'm keeping an open mind. This old beast has fooled me more than once. The crazy part is I made it to Sturgis and back on the old tank, I changed the fuel filter once on the way there, that's when it turned red telling me it was time for a change.

Offline Don R

• My Sandcast is a
  • Really Old Timer ...
 It ran good today, that's one day in a row! We'll see if it can happen again.

Offline Don R

• My Sandcast is a
  • Really Old Timer ...
 It's a rain maker, every time it gets warm enough to ride and I pull it outside, here comes the rain. Today it took all of 30 seconds. At least the road salt is washed away. Now they're predicting some arctic bomb blizzard for the weekend. Damn, I wanna go for a ride.

Offline Don R

• My Sandcast is a
  • Really Old Timer ...
Re: 78 GL1000 after sitting 20 yrs. rain maker. lol.
« Reply #215 on: March 14, 2019, 10:22:18 am »
 I got a window between the cold and rainstorms, it didn't chug, pop, fart, miss, bog, or any other bad habit from starting on the first crank to rolling in the drive. I don't remember it running this good since I've owned it. Finally.

Offline kpier883

• is quite the
  • Hot Shot
« Reply #216 on: March 14, 2019, 03:08:28 pm »
Don R,

I have an old '82  LTD1000 that gave me fits similar to what you have dealt with.  No matter what I tried over the course of several years, I could not beat it.  It has now sat in my basement for about 10 years, and sat in my previous basement several years before that.  Maybe when all the kids are off to college or something... maybe... I will attack it anew.

I have enjoyed reading about your YEAR AND A HALF journey!  I am sure that you really didn't enjoy it.  For me it has been like a two year podcast one got hooked on or something.

Maybe that makes me a bad person, as maybe one shouldn't enjoy another's problems... but I am very happy for you at this moment!

All the Best!

Kirk
« Last Edit: March 14, 2019, 03:16:16 pm by kpier883 »
74 CB750
80 CBX
82 KZ1000 K2 (LTD)
57 1/2 ton chevy

Offline Don R

• My Sandcast is a
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #217 on: March 14, 2019, 07:12:46 pm »
 It's all good Kirk, the moral of the story is, all rust isn't red and don't fool with a rusty gas tank. My buddy that cleaned the carbs didn't get it all on the first try but after I rusted them up he did get it right. He put in the new float valves and cleaned them and didn't charge me labor the second time even though I freely admitted it was all my fault.
 I sent a text to the P.O. in Florida to let him know I finally got it right. 

Offline Don R

• My Sandcast is a
  • Really Old Timer ...
Re: 78 GL1000 after sitting 20 yrs. rain maker, but running sweet!
« Reply #218 on: March 14, 2019, 07:44:24 pm »
 I re-read all of this and feel rather foolish for not swapping out the tank right away. Thanks for all of the encouragement and ideas. I'm due to get new brake hoses and a better rear rotor with new pads.  I missed a set of 3 aftermarket rotors for an 1100. I think the fronts swap with 1000's. 

Offline Don R

• My Sandcast is a
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #219 on: March 21, 2019, 07:21:14 pm »
 Old blue did 65 trouble free miles today to my favorite old bike shop. They have a couple old Goldwings and 750's in the shop. One K4 with stock exhaust and a 6,000 or so serial number 75 wing on one lift. A sweet Valkyre on a lift too.

Offline Don R

• My Sandcast is a
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #220 on: March 27, 2019, 08:53:56 pm »
 I'm looking for parts to do the double piston caliper upgrade on the front. Some guys rave about it, some guys say no improvement. I think with stock lines and master cyl maybe no improvement. My brother has an 82 cb750 in storage. I may practice on his bike. 

Offline scottly

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Humboldt, AZ
Maybe the guys that say no improvement are using the tiny 25mm version of the twin piston calipers?? They were made it at least 4 sizes that I know of: 25mm, 27mm, 30mm, and 32mm. The 32's are what you want; these were used on the V65, and maybe others? What piston size does your Leadwing have? Is it the same as the F2/F3 at 38mm? What about the master piston? Is it the same as the F2/F3 at 17.5mm (11/16")?
There are 3 different types of mounting brackets that I know of; one is a left side bracket that only works with Anti-dive forks, and two versions that bolt directly to the lugs on the forks, with right and left brackets for each. One has a center-to-center distance between mounting holes of 65mm, which fits the F2/F3 forks among others, and one has a ctc of 100mm, which is used on the left of an '82 Ascot and the right of an '82 650 SC.
I'm currently running a single 32mm caliper on a Ducati 320mm rotor, using a stock 14mm K7 MC. I had to make an adapter between the fork leg and the caliper bracket due to the large rotor, and I only had a 100mm bracket on hand when I made the adapter. This gives better braking than dual rotors with K7 42.8mm calipers, as tested with a G-tech accelerometer.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2019, 06:38:25 pm by scottly »
Don't fix it if it ain't broke!
Helmets save brains. Always wear one and ride like everyone is trying to kill you....

Offline Don R

• My Sandcast is a
  • Really Old Timer ...
 The master piston is the big one, I used a 14mm on my 79 wing and loved it, more travel but easy braking and awesome panic stop practice. Of course with new stainless lines too. I was looking at 1100F calipers too, Thanks for the info.

Offline scottly

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Humboldt, AZ
With dual 32mm twin piston calipers, you will need a bigger than 14mm MC. ;)
Don't fix it if it ain't broke!
Helmets save brains. Always wear one and ride like everyone is trying to kill you....

Offline Don R

• My Sandcast is a
  • Really Old Timer ...
 Agreed, I see a set of V65 magna on facebook marketplace and several on ebay, they have the anti dive bracket. I'm thinking buy the set and worry about getting the left fork bracket later?