Author Topic: 78 GL1000 20 year sleeper! Seat cover.  (Read 45515 times)

Offline Bankerdanny

• Eventually I will be old enough in reality to be
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Endeavor to persevere
With the F3 setup I am putting on my F1 I ordered a new master in 5/8 per Randakk's recommendation.
"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that you never know if they're true" - Abraham Lincoln

Current: '76 CB750F. Previous:  '75 CB550F, 2007 Yamaha Vino 125 Scooter, '75 Harley FXE Superglide, '77 GL1000, '77 CB550k, '68 Suzuki K10 80, '68 Yamaha YR2, '69 BMW R69S, '71 Honda SL175, '02 Royal Enfield Bullet 500, '89 Yamaha FJ1200

Offline scottly

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Humboldt, AZ
Agreed, I see a set of V65 magna on facebook marketplace and several on ebay, they have the anti dive bracket. I'm thinking buy the set and worry about getting the left fork bracket later?
What is the spacing of the lugs on the GL forks? Is it 100mm? There was a guy on the Ascot forum parting one out, so I asked if the bracket was still available.
Don't fix it if it ain't broke!
Helmets save brains. Always wear one and ride like everyone is trying to kill you....

Offline Don R

• My Sandcast is a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Saver of unloved motorcycles.
 It's has the 65mm spacing according to my crude metric ruler. And yes, it has the 38mm piston stock. If I remember correctly, the guys that didn't see improvement did not mention any other caliper other than the 82 cb900 or 75 dohc.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2019, 01:39:06 pm by Don R »
No matter how many times you paint over a shadow, it's still there.
If you love it, set it free, if it stays it's probably one of my 750's.
 CEO at the no kill motorcycle shop.

Offline Don R

• My Sandcast is a
  • Really Old Timer ...

Offline Don R

• My Sandcast is a
  • Really Old Timer ...
 I figured at this price $25 plus shipping why not? I need to get my hands on some parts to measure and check out. I may have screwed up, I think his $27 ones said off a running bike. 

Offline scottly

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Humboldt, AZ
That's a VERY good deal for two 32mm calipers! I paid $85, plus a 180+ miles round trip to Phoenix, but they did let me swap the V65 brackets for the needed 65mm brackets, that I found in a mess of calipers heaped on shelves in a narrow dimly lit isle. ;) The right-side bracket you're getting is the 100mm version, so you need brackets for both sides. Reply #66 on this thread has a list of the bikes that used the 65mm brackets:http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,89771.50.html
Helmets save brains. Always wear one and ride like everyone is trying to kill you....

Offline Don R

• My Sandcast is a
  • Really Old Timer ...
 Thanks Scottly. I really appreciate the help. One day this summer I hope to ride past some scenery like in your picture.

Offline scottly

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Humboldt, AZ
My avatar picture was taken from a support vehicle on I-40 West-bound, about halfway between Kingman AZ and Needles CA, during the first Relay. That area tends to get a bit warm in the middle of summer. ;)

Offline Don R

• My Sandcast is a
  • Really Old Timer ...
 I drove through there a couple years ago, in winter and in a car. We went to Pomona for the winternationals and heard a section of the northern return route was blocked by a fallen boulder. We wanted to go south coming back anyway.
 I've been shopping on ebay. Looks like I'll spend more for the brackets than the calipers. L0L. My brother has an 82 cb750 in storage, I'll have to take the whole bike to get them though.
 Edit, I ordered a pair of cb900F brackets off ebay, I paid more than I did for the calipers but I wanted a set and I wanted them now. I did find a set of calipers and brackets with the 30mm calipers but already bought the 32's. Bigger is better in my book. Maybe I can sell the leftovers to recoup some cost.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2019, 06:16:27 am by Don R »

Offline Don R

• My Sandcast is a
  • Really Old Timer ...
 My 81 cb900F caliper brackets arrived today. They aren't correct. Probably from an 80 cb900c from what I can glean off the microfisches. I sent a message to the seller but he has a pretty good disclaimer on his page. Probably got hosed.
 Tom on the naked goldwing site posted a pic of the right ones.

Offline Don R

• My Sandcast is a
  • Really Old Timer ...
 So, I bought these also, 30mm pistons. I'll use the 32's I already have and make a set of 30's for my brothers 76 wing.
 https://www.ebay.com/itm/85-Honda-VT1100-VT-1100-C-Shadow-Classic-Front-Brake-Calipers/312421848487?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649
« Last Edit: April 05, 2019, 11:53:57 pm by Don R »

Offline Don R

• My Sandcast is a
  • Really Old Timer ...
 So what I have here are 85 VT 1100brackets and 85 VF1100 32mm calipers. I'm going to do a clean up on all of the parts and test fit to the bike before taking the pistons out for a rebuild and cleaning. I'll make a card with caliper info to keep in the bike for the day when me or some future owner need to know what the parts are. I'm considering a running tally on maintenance and parts swaps in junkyard paint on the underside of the seat.

Offline Don R

• My Sandcast is a
  • Really Old Timer ...
 I decided to clean the calipers before a test fit. One was clean as a whistle, one not so much. I had a stuck piston and pumped it out with grease because I didn't want to mess up a running bike with brake fluid. It worked slick except the bleeder kept the grease gun's tip. I can't get them back apart. Looks like I have a permanent caliper adapter.

Offline Don R

• My Sandcast is a
  • Really Old Timer ...
 I got them on and test rode it, I didn't want to hammer the pads until they break in a little, they are pretty nice used EBC's, I sanded them to get a fresh start and will try to break them in before doing stoppies. Even with the old hoses I can see a big difference.

Offline Don R

• My Sandcast is a
  • Really Old Timer ...

Offline Don R

• My Sandcast is a
  • Really Old Timer ...
 I must have leaked a little brake fluid on the rotor dangit. Since the pic I brakecleaned everything and wiped it down.

Offline scottly

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Humboldt, AZ
I got them on and test rode it, I didn't want to hammer the pads until they break in a little, they are pretty nice used EBC's, I sanded them to get a fresh start and will try to break them in before doing stoppies. Even with the old hoses I can see a big difference.
Yeah, the twin piston calipers are the bee's knees. ;D

Offline Don R

• My Sandcast is a
  • Really Old Timer ...
 I had a stuck piston, air didn't move it so I plugged the banjo opening and used the grease gun. It worked great and the piston was nice after I cleaned the outer edge. Problem is the grease gun fell in love with the bleeder and won't let go. I now have a permanent adapter.

Offline Don R

• My Sandcast is a
  • Really Old Timer ...
 The pads are seating nicely, I've been riding when it's not cold as a witches tip or raining.

Offline Bankerdanny

• Eventually I will be old enough in reality to be
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Endeavor to persevere
This will be next year's upgrade for my 750F1 with the F3 front end.
"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that you never know if they're true" - Abraham Lincoln

Current: '76 CB750F. Previous:  '75 CB550F, 2007 Yamaha Vino 125 Scooter, '75 Harley FXE Superglide, '77 GL1000, '77 CB550k, '68 Suzuki K10 80, '68 Yamaha YR2, '69 BMW R69S, '71 Honda SL175, '02 Royal Enfield Bullet 500, '89 Yamaha FJ1200

Offline Jerry Rxman Griffin aka MuthaF'er

• This MuthaF'er is getting to be a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Bought her new 4/75
Just a FYI for you guys. While surfing earlier I ran across the square profile o-rings for the calipers. Z1 has them.
As of today 3/13/2012 my original owner 75 CB750F has made it through 3 wives, er EX-wives. Free at last.  ;-)

Offline Don R

• My Sandcast is a
  • Really Old Timer ...
 I raided my brothers storage unit yesterday, nabbed a small taillight and a left carb body. He has 79 and 82 750's he got from a fool that only knew how to take things apart. His 79 has the antidive forks from the 82. I suggested we measure them and try them on his cb500 sidecar bike. No brake on the sidecar so it can use some help. It has a trailer rim, I'm wondering if a trailer brake might fit.  He's determined to get back on his gl1000. I see disaster looming. He's 79 this year.

Offline Don R

• My Sandcast is a
  • Really Old Timer ...
 My brother was buying a 92 gl1500 trike. He decided to not ride anymore so I'm working on his 500 sidecar bike. plugged petcock and gnarly carbs.
  At any rate, my wife and I were on the gl1000 going about 40 and a big old cat crossed our path. I got on the brakes and they performed flawlessly. The rear was close to a squeal, just made a small squeak. Saved the cat, my wife said thanks because my policy is not to endanger humans for a critter. This was however, a pet and I had room to react. I also was glad to have the extra tail light/brake lights because there was a car behind a ways back.

Offline Don R

• My Sandcast is a
  • Really Old Timer ...
 The front brake feel hasn't been to my liking so I ordered a full set of brake lines from Sirius. They came today, the 3 front lines are all 23" and have a coil spring around the outside. The lowers will be a chore to make look right, they're a little long and with the spring I can't get the rubber grommet back on to fit the bracket. The picture I ordered from shows one with the spring and two original looking hoses. Farq. I shot them an email but haven't heard back yet.

I did learn to carefully fill the oil with the correct amount to avoid excess smoking and leave it on the center stand as often as possible. That keeps the oil from soaking under the rings. While doing the fall oil change I didn't go inside and a gust of wind blew oil all over me. It seemed as though the gods were angry.     
  After multiple cleanings and replacing every fuel system part it's still lean as he11, loves to run with a half inch of choke until it's fully heat soaked. I'm pulling the carbs again, checking the jet sizes according to Randakks warnings. Two are easily swapped and the non Honda manuals have incorrect information on the locations.  I may shim the needles with #4 stainless washers like they say to do on the earlier engines.  My intuition says go up one size on pilot jets but the experts all say not to.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2019, 07:49:36 pm by Don R »

Offline Don R

• My Sandcast is a
  • Really Old Timer ...
Re: 78 GL1000 20 year sleeper! Brakes improved!
« Reply #249 on: December 10, 2019, 09:08:28 am »
Sirius replied, it is what it is. They gave me permission to remove the springs from the new brake lines. They just won't have the rubber covers to protect from chafing like the ones in their photo.

Edit, I got the front ones on, less the springs on the lowers, they are a bit of a hassle due to them not being indexed differently and all three the same length. There's no left or right so they both twist the same way. All in all I prefer the Speigler brand of hoses that can be indexed after being crimped that I bought for my 76F, except they were all too short.   
« Last Edit: December 10, 2019, 08:58:43 pm by Don R »