Author Topic: I hate wiring. Please help... (CB550)  (Read 2545 times)

Offline speedy_the_drummer

• Enthusiast
I hate wiring. Please help... (CB550)
« on: June 10, 2017, 08:08:08 pm »
Well. Let's just say I hate wiring so much that this project has sat for almost 4 years. There are other reasons, but woo hoo I hate wiring.

After sitting for soooo long (I stripped it to the frame 4+ years ago), I think I'm ready to tackle this beast.

I hacked apart two terrible harness's (it's kind of a K, kind of an F model '75 CB550). I just put the harness back in. Took off the signals, maybe more, I don't remember when I redid the harness.

So here are the photos...

Thank you. Thank you. Thank. You.

Offline Jimray23

• Hot Shot
    • none
Re: I hate wiring. Please help... (CB550)
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2017, 08:18:00 pm »
I would suggest downloading 2 copies of the manuals. One for the k and one for the f model. The manuals should have wiring diagrams and help you piece it together. By the way why the mixture ( f and k)?

--------------------------------------------------
Jim
1979 kz1000b ltd
    stage 3 cams
    pod air filters
    4-1 open exhaust(no muffler)
    full rewire
    dyna-s ignition
    dyna 3 ohm coils

Offline Jimray23

• Hot Shot
    • none
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2017, 08:32:49 pm »
Heres a shortcut to a wiring diagram. Hope it helps.

http://manuals.sohc4.net/cb550/

Feel free to ask questions and im sure someone with more honda experience chime in.

--------------------------------------------------
Jim
1979 kz1000b ltd
    stage 3 cams
    pod air filters
    4-1 open exhaust(no muffler)
    full rewire
    dyna-s ignition
    dyna 3 ohm coils

Offline firebane

• Hot Shot
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2017, 08:43:41 pm »
Starter solenoid don't matter as one goes to the starter and one goes to the battery.

Yellow/red and green is to engage the solenoid. Green is ground and r/y goes to start button.

Offline NobleHops

• Don ya be callin' me no
  • Expert
  • Misfit - Tucson, Arizona
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2017, 08:48:18 pm »
Speedy,

Download those diagrams, and take a close look at them. It isn't that complicated, but you'll need to learn the basics. Visit this page too, and read it a few times. You will need a multimeter, it is essential to working on this stuff.

http://www.motorcycleproject.com/text/SOHCcharging.html

C'mon back and ask your questions and you will be on your way.

N.
Nils Menten * Tucson, Arizona, USA

I have a motorcycle problem.

My build thread: NobleHops makes a 400F pretty for his wife: http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=131210.0

Offline calj737

• Really Old Timer ...
  • I refuse...
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2017, 02:43:26 pm »

In your hand, you're holding the 3 wires from the "Regulator" side of the combination Reg/Rec. They plug into the stock 3-prong plastic connector, color-to-color. The new unit you have pictured is a Ricks Motorsport, model 10-100 and it works fine for your 550.
Just above your hand in the background is the stator harness plug carrying the yellows, red and green from the "harness side" of your bike, and you have the plastic plug from the Rick's correctly plugged into the "Rectifier side" of the device.

This is the starter solenoid. Either of those connectors can attach to either post. One comes from the battery POS and the other goes to the starter motor.

Those wires are on the harness side, the Yellow/Red stripe is from your electric Start button. It connects to the female connector in your next picture, which should in turn connect to the starter solenoid. The Brown/White female is a double connector that comes from the fuse block, and provides switched power from the key to the front of the bike for your tach and speedo backlights.

These are the 2 wires that plug into your starter solenoid. The Y/R we discussed above, the Green/Red is the NEG side of the solenoid relay, Y/R being the POS side.

Thank you. Thank you. Thank. You.
[/quote]
'74 550 Build http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=126401.0
'73 500 Build http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=132935.0

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of it's victim may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated, but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." - C.S. Lewis

Offline Steve_K

• Expert
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2017, 03:22:59 pm »
I have enlarged my wiring diagrams, like 2 by 3 feet.  I can mount them in on the wall and see it from my bike lift.  I have found that some diagrams may not be perfect.  Also I think Honda may have blended harnesses over model years.  But, these bikes are 40 years old, PO may have done some modifications.
Steve
Steve_K

76 CB 550, 73CB750, 86 GSX-R750, 16 Slingshot
Old rides:305 Honda, CL350, 74 CB550
 05 SV1000S, 88 CBR600,92 VFR, 88 Hawk GT, 96 Ducati 900SS, 98 Kaw ZX6R, SV650

Offline speedy_the_drummer

• Enthusiast
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2017, 04:11:21 pm »
calj737, thank you so much! You're even from RVA. I lived there the last 10 years, just moved to Nashville and brought this thing with me...

-----

I got most of the wiring connected up. The only weird thing I'm seeing is this connection from HARNESS to ELEC. BOX....

What is that mystery wire and do I need it?

Offline calj737

• Really Old Timer ...
  • I refuse...
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2017, 05:07:00 pm »
It looks like a Grey wire on your left. If so, that would be coming from the Turn Signal Relay carrying power to the left bars. That might be an "F" plug, where the right side plug/picture is traditional "K".

In both connectors. The Green/Red is the Neutral switch wires and the Blue/Red is the Oil pressure switch. These come from under the left side engine cover, to the electric panel, then route to the instrument cluster. Both of these wires are "grounds" and the solid Black at the triple tree is switched 12v power.

Look around under your side panel for the Turn relay. It should have that grey and maybe it will plug into the "electric box side" plug?
'74 550 Build http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=126401.0
'73 500 Build http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=132935.0

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of it's victim may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated, but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." - C.S. Lewis