Author Topic: Brought a CB500T back to life today  (Read 3181 times)

Offline MoMo

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Ride like you're invisible
Brought a CB500T back to life today
« on: January 29, 2017, 05:20:42 pm »
Customer dropped off a CB500T for me to get running.  The PO had rebuilt the carbs and brakes, installed electronic ignition, etc. etc etc.  Typical crap as it would not start and was void of spark.

Of course it had points,on which  the contact wires were turned so that the points  ground out against the cover ???
Cleaned and set the gap and the mighty twin roared to life-there was so much smoke I could not see out my garage. 

The rebuilt brakes were full of rusty  fluid and the pivot arm was seized.  Fortunately I had a spare arm in my stash.  I've never seen a pivot arm that tightly seized. 

It is a clean bike, only problem is the ends of the mufflers are rotted.  Here are a couple photos.  Never liked the 500, love the 450 though.

Offline RAFster122s

• I feel like a really really
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • SOHC4 member # 2605
Re: Brought a CB500T back to life today
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2017, 06:22:49 pm »
congrats on breathing new life into a PO sabotage job...
even if it is a 500T (joking)

David
David- back in the desert SW!

Offline MoMo

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2017, 07:30:30 pm »
congrats on breathing new life into a PO sabotage job...
even if it is a 500T (joking)

David

It wasn't all that badly butchered, took 5 hours or so to get everything back in order.  I'll put some miles on it before turning it back to the owner, who will most likely flip it. He'll have a grand into it including my labor and purchase...LARRY

Offline ekpent

• Really Old Timer ...
  • To many bikes-but lookin' for more
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2017, 06:15:36 am »
 Does look pretty clean. What else do you have waiting for you in the wings ?

Offline MoMo

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2017, 07:33:10 am »
Does look pretty clean. What else do you have waiting for you in the wings ?

I used to do a lot of work for the owner and it looks as though he may start to bring me more work.  Presently working on an old Yammie Seca 400 and a DOHC 750 for two other people.  If we ever find a Ninja 250 motor that'll also be on the burner..

Offline tbpmusic

• Expert
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2017, 09:34:59 am »
........Never liked the 500, love the 450 though.

Yeah, the 500T was a last gasp for the 450 line, had looks only a mother could love, and a bit sluggish as well.
But not as bad as the looks of the first 450's, (so-called Black Bombers or K0) - even back in The Day we thought they were pretty ridiculous looking.
They followed it up with the CB450 K1, which is a handsome bike indeed.
This is a Euro model, with the droopy rear fender and rubber fork gaitors, different exhaust.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2017, 09:36:30 am by tbpmusic »
"If you can't fix it with a hammer, then it's an electrical problem"

Bill Lane
 '71 CB450 Mutant/ '75 CB200/ '81 CM200/ '71 C70M

Offline MoMo

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2017, 03:15:52 pm »
Yep, seemed as though the 500 was slower than the 450. Love that Euro bike 8). Funny how the Black Bomber has become highly sought after....Larry

Offline Stev-o

• Ain't no
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Central Texas
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2017, 03:47:52 pm »
Funny how the Black Bomber has become highly sought after....Larry

I want one!
'74 "Big Bang" Honda 750K [836].....'76 Honda 550F.....K3 Park Racer!......and a Bomber!............plus plus plus.........

Offline MoMo

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2017, 07:36:51 pm »
Funny how the Black Bomber has become highly sought after....Larry

I want one!

They bring a hefty price is this area Steve

Offline RAFster122s

• Really Old Timer ...
  • SOHC4 member # 2605
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2017, 12:09:06 am »
They sold well at Mecum's action last week in Vegas.  You can login and see the final prices for the Hondas searching for the brand or model, etc.  The 450s have been ticking up at a good pace for several years now.

Offline MoMo

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2017, 08:40:01 am »
Second time the bike started it smoked like crazy.  Went to change the oil--3/4  drive breaker bar wouldn't budge the drain plug :(  Only had a couple minutes time, going out to give it another shot today

Offline RAFster122s

• Really Old Timer ...
  • SOHC4 member # 2605
« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2017, 08:44:22 am »
That is very odd...

Offline MoMo

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2017, 11:15:53 am »
Laid the bike on its side, couple of whacks with a 2 lb. ball peen and it came loose. Went to clean out the oil slinger(for those not familiar with the "most impressive Honda ever made" the 450/500 does not have an oil filter).  There is a slinger that captures sludge and this had the possibility of causing major catastrophic top end failure.  Bits of Hondabond on the surface and a chunk of Permatex inside the slinger, that would have the potential of blocking oil to the top end.  Second photo shows the chunk  inside the slinger.   Still smokes on the third start :-\, hopefully a few miles will clear out this impressive bike

Offline ekpent

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2017, 02:28:45 pm »
 That chunk could be the death of a 750 for sure Larry. Good thing that slinger caught it but you have to wonder how much more is floating around.If not from you then someone else has been in there before. Maybe somebody made a mistake working on the rings, pistons or top end in the past. Guy have any recollection of previous work done ?
« Last Edit: January 31, 2017, 02:31:15 pm by ekpent »

Offline MoMo

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #14 on: January 31, 2017, 10:08:11 pm »
Present owner has no info other than the lies told to him by the PO-ran when parked, carbs rebuilt, brakes redone and my favorite-electronic ignition installed.  The motor of the big brother of the most impressive Honda ever made has had an allen head kit installed on the side covers but no signs of Permatex(actually it could be red silicone)...Larry
« Last Edit: February 01, 2017, 08:21:26 am by MoMo »

Offline FridgeRaider

• Enthusiast
« Reply #15 on: February 01, 2017, 07:06:29 am »
Is there a specific reason for these models to not have an oil filter by design?
1972 CB750K2 Resto-mod (836cc Upgrade) - http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,161782.0.html

Offline MoMo

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #16 on: February 01, 2017, 08:24:26 am »
Is there a specific reason for these models to not have an oil filter by design?

Just the way the motor was designed from the original 450 Black Bomber back in 1965.  Here is a cool link to the history of Honda motorcycles   http://www.motorera.com/honda/

Offline sixthwisconsin

• With an 1855 Springfield, I'm a
  • Hot Shot
« Reply #17 on: February 01, 2017, 04:12:15 pm »
Second time the bike started it smoked like crazy.  Went to change the oil--3/4  drive breaker bar wouldn't budge the drain plug :(  Only had a couple minutes time, going out to give it another shot today

I just went through the same thing with a buddy's 1976 CB500T. It has 5000 miles on it with original tires and is in pristine condition except for the repainted tank. We could not remove the drain plug and resorted to heating up the plug & pan. It was my turn on the breaker bar when it finally let go. The funny thing is that the threads look fine with no apparent damage at all to the plug or pan. We had envisioned the PO ham-fisting the plug on with bad threads or something. Once it cracked open, I could unscrew it by hand with ease. Very strange you had the same problem.

Offline MoMo

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #18 on: February 01, 2017, 08:50:44 pm »
Not a scientist but I guess there was some reaction between the dissimilar metals that tightly seized the plug and case. The whacks I put to the plug freed it . Threads clean as can be and like yours went in and out freely...Larry

Offline ekpent

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #19 on: February 02, 2017, 05:38:02 am »
Not a scientist but I guess there was some reaction between the dissimilar metals that tightly seized the plug and case. The whacks I put to the plug freed it . Threads clean as can be and like yours went in and out freely...Larry
  Did the drain plug have the thick silver aluminum looking crush washer like the 4's do Larry ? those can be a little grippy if over tightened.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2017, 06:21:26 am by ekpent »

Offline MoMo

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #20 on: February 02, 2017, 08:31:28 am »
  Did the drain plug have the thick silver aluminum looking crush washer like the 4's do Larry ? those can be a little grippy if over tightened.

nope, o-ring.  It is a very wide-waaay more than an inch, closer to two.  Back together now so I can't give precise size.  Still working on getting the bike running correctly-breaks up more than half throttle.  Just think I need to retime