Author Topic: cb550 hangar bolt removal  (Read 1333 times)

Offline Shtonecb500

• Master
    • Youtube profile
cb550 hangar bolt removal
« on: January 13, 2017, 09:40:44 pm »
Why am I having issues removing the rear hangar bolt, its the only bolt I can't remove.

73/74'' CB500/550 resto-mod - sold
75' 750f 91' cbr f2 swap cafe - mock up
74' 750 chopper hardtail - complete - sold
74' CB750/836kit - Black mix & match - daily rider - always tweaking
71' cb500 K0 survivor - complete
71' K1 - CANDY GOLD/BROWN Winton kit - in process

Offline drumstyx

• Hot Shot
Re: cb550 hangar bolt removal
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2017, 09:47:13 pm »
An engine mount bolt? That's the sort of thing I might use a big ol' hammer for... I don't have any 550 experience though

Offline Shtonecb500

• Master
    • Youtube profile
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2017, 09:54:20 pm »
no man...ive hit it hard already and I'm going to assume that its something else
 some one please chime in lol

DH

« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2017, 10:13:42 pm »
Judicious use of heat around where bolt goes thru. It's crudded up. Another
 method might be penetrating oil. May also be hung in frame.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2017, 10:20:29 pm by DH »

DH

« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2017, 10:16:43 pm »
That spacer might be crudded up inside as well. Try twisting while holding bolt.
Heat/penatrating oil for that aswell. Spacer might be most likely culprit.
Steel bolt going thru aluminum= corrosion. Use caution if you use heat.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2017, 10:25:46 pm by DH »

Offline FridgeRaider

• Enthusiast
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2017, 10:23:30 pm »
Unfortunately there's no hidden secret. I've bought 3 neglected cb550s which all had the same problem you're having now. For what ever reason that top hanger bolt rusts in place, especially around the big spacer. I would suggest wd40 & heat, in conjunction with a big mallet. Last resort would be to cut it into pieces and source a replacement from a member.
1972 CB750K2 Resto-mod (836cc Upgrade) - http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,161782.0.html

Online RAFster122s

• I feel like a really really
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • SOHC4 member # 2605
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2017, 10:32:35 pm »
Use some PB Blaster or Kroil on that sleeve and bolt.  Likely to have virtually welded itself together with corrosion... Let it soak in over night and hit it will lots of heat again...when it cools down enough (still hot) saturate it with PB Blaster again wait 30 minutes and do it again. Wait overnight, saturate with PB Blaster again.  That evening again do a PB Blaster dose.  Hit it with heat... turn one way and then the other to see if it will break loose.

Report back.

I've had to do the PB Blaster 3-5 days in a row to get some things to break free.  You just have to be careful you don't distort the frame beating on the bolt and you definitely want to use a nut on the end that unscrews with something else that can be a sacrificial nut, threaded on until nut is completely on but just a hair proud of the bolt so you are hitting the nut and bolt and not just the nut...deforming the nut and the threaded part of the bolt holding the hanger on...

I don't know if the Paraffin wax trick would work with this or not...  You usually submerge parts in the Paraffin wax that is liquid.  It draws the wax into the corrosion freeing the part...works most of the time.  But usually you are cooking it in wax for 15-30 minutes.  Has to be done outside away from a structure as well as extreme caution as it is both flammable and will give you severe burns if it pops wax out... Part must be dry and free of oily contaminants.

David- back in the desert SW!

Offline Scott S

• Global Moderator
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2017, 01:47:33 am »
 Do you already have the other engine bolts out? Try rocking the engine up and down from the front. Also, have someone help lift it up at the front to relieve pressure on that bolt while you try to tap it out.
'71 CB500 K0
'17 Triumph Street Scrambler
'81 Yamaha XS650

Offline calj737

• Really Old Timer ...
  • I refuse...
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2017, 03:19:03 am »
Scott S is on the right track. If you have removed "other" mounting bolts" supporting the weight of the engine, that bolt is now "pinched" and won't come out easily.

Slip a jack under the oil pan, a plank of wood between it and the pan, and gently raise the motor. Then, ratchet at the bolt, and use ONLY a rubber mallet to help drive it back.

If you wail away on it with a steel hammer, you will bend the threaded end making it harder to withdraw, and, you will damage that bolt. They are not made any longer and to source a replacement is tricky. I've made a handful from stainless, but that gets pricey.
'74 550 Build http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=126401.0
'73 500 Build http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=132935.0

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of it's victim may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated, but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." - C.S. Lewis

Offline bobagby

• sohc 4 website
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2017, 08:40:11 am »
Scott S is on the right track. If you have removed "other" mounting bolts" supporting the weight of the engine, that bolt is now "pinched" and won't come out easily.

Slip a jack under the oil pan, a plank of wood between it and the pan, and gently raise the motor. Then, ratchet at the bolt, and use ONLY a rubber mallet to help drive it back.

If you wail away on it with a steel hammer, you will bend the threaded end making it harder to withdraw, and, you will damage that bolt. They are not made any longer and to source a replacement is tricky. I've made a handful from stainless, but that gets pricey.
This is exactly how I had to remove mine on my 400. It was just the weight of the engine on that one bolt and wouldn't budge. With the jack it came out with some turning.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

75 cb400f
I'm just a project bike noob trying to get by in the world

Offline BomberMann650

• Holy Cow! I'm a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Dr. Bovinestein iBa#80333
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2017, 10:15:38 am »
What scott and calj said.

Bottle jacks if you don't have a buddy.

Offline Shtonecb500

• Master
    • Youtube profile
« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2017, 09:05:22 am »
Hey everyone,

Thank you for all of the replies. I sat there trying everything that night and because it was so hard to get out it really made me think the world was backwards that day lol. It was rusted in place, I figured hitting it with the hammer and not getting anywhere meant that I was wrong. I started to thing maybe there was a threaded both in there and I had just ruined it by swinging a hammer. I didn't use any heat, i sprayed a little Pb blaster and swung the hammer even harder and it came out eventually. This really slowed down my process Friday night, setting me back two hours.

I ended up working on the bike until 7am, sleeping at the shop on the floor under a desk with a space heater, waking up at 11am and working until 1am.
I got the first few layers of black on the frame, and I have all nuts and bolts and chrome soaking in Metal rescue.
My petcock is leaking even though I used a new kit on it...I guess Ill get a new one.
This was the first time I have ever pulled the front forks off of a bike, any advice is appreciated.

Offline drumstyx

• Hot Shot
« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2017, 01:45:35 pm »
Hey everyone,

Thank you for all of the replies. I sat there trying everything that night and because it was so hard to get out it really made me think the world was backwards that day lol. It was rusted in place, I figured hitting it with the hammer and not getting anywhere meant that I was wrong. I started to thing maybe there was a threaded both in there and I had just ruined it by swinging a hammer. I didn't use any heat, i sprayed a little Pb blaster and swung the hammer even harder and it came out eventually. This really slowed down my process Friday night, setting me back two hours.

I ended up working on the bike until 7am, sleeping at the shop on the floor under a desk with a space heater, waking up at 11am and working until 1am.
I got the first few layers of black on the frame, and I have all nuts and bolts and chrome soaking in Metal rescue.
My petcock is leaking even though I used a new kit on it...I guess Ill get a new one.
This was the first time I have ever pulled the front forks off of a bike, any advice is appreciated.

Glad to hear -- BFH will remove anything :D

Offline Don R

• My Sandcast is a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Saver of unloved motorcycles.
« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2017, 10:05:43 pm »
 The petcock is probably leaking past the tank screw gaskets. Replace them too, I know it sounds fishy but if they leak they leak past the valve.
No matter how many times you paint over a shadow, it's still there.
 CEO at the no kill motorcycle shop.
 You don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows.

Offline BomberMann650

• Holy Cow! I'm a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Dr. Bovinestein iBa#80333
« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2017, 01:30:47 pm »
Be sure not to let the metal rescue get too dark when soaking chrome.  That will cause discoloration.  (Don't ask me how I found that out)