Author Topic: 1972 oil pump question  (Read 853 times)

Offline maestro

1972 oil pump question
« on: May 17, 2021, 11:44:56 am »
I have a 72 cb750. I am having oil not staying in the tank after sitting. I bought the seal and spring kit. Today I started replacing those. Upon going for the inner shaft seal I have 2 issues. One the inner shafte seal is not coming out. Is there a good technique for getting the metal sleeve out? The other issue, which may nullify the first issue, there is some scarring where the pump rotors sit. Is this enough to where I need to replace the pump?

Offline Trav-i

• Has finally become an
  • Expert
Re: 1972 oil pump question
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2021, 01:58:33 pm »
I completed this exact project about 2 weeks ago.  I had the same issue getting the seal out.  After several hours of working and getting no where, I went for broke and got it out.  What I used was the straight pointed pick from my pick set.  I got it positioned between the seal and pump body and drove it in till the old seal buckled.  It was a real nail biter I was worried I'd damage the housing but, thankfully it came out ok.  Once the seal buckled I pulled it out with the 90 degree pick.  The shaft seal I used was an actual Honda seal, per Hondaman's recomendation.  I used either a 10 or 11 mil socket with extension to drive it in.  I would use some green scotchbrite to clean up the scratches.

Hope this helps,

Travis
Forum member #9962

I don't know a lot about anything, but I know a little about practically everthing. 

If your not first, your last - Ricky Bobby

1992 GL1500 Interstate

73 CB750 Bobber Project (Always an on going project) Sold
71 CL350 Scrambler Project (Done and riding it) Sold
78 CB750 F3 Super Sport with F 0 engine (Current project)

Offline MauiK3

• A K3 is saved
  • Old Timer
  • Old guy
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2021, 02:05:40 pm »
I have not checked recently but I think Hondaman’s book has the housing condition information you need. His book is a must have item for these bikes.
1973 CB 750 K3
10/72 build Z1 Kawasaki

Offline HondaMan

• Someone took this pic of me before I became a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • ...not my choice, I was nicknamed...
    • Getting 'em Back on the Road
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2021, 07:33:18 pm »
I completed this exact project about 2 weeks ago.  I had the same issue getting the seal out.  After several hours of working and getting no where, I went for broke and got it out.  What I used was the straight pointed pick from my pick set.  I got it positioned between the seal and pump body and drove it in till the old seal buckled.  It was a real nail biter I was worried I'd damage the housing but, thankfully it came out ok.  Once the seal buckled I pulled it out with the 90 degree pick.  The shaft seal I used was an actual Honda seal, per Hondaman's recomendation.  I used either a 10 or 11 mil socket with extension to drive it in.  I would use some green scotchbrite to clean up the scratches.

Hope this helps,

Travis

This is similar to how I do them. I have also drilled a (tiny, like #38 drill) hole alongside the edge of the seal's metal outer ring, then bent that metal inward far enough to drill another tiny hole thru it and pop it out by folding the seal in on itself with a sharp pick into that hole. Don't drill so far down that you go into the wall between the 2 chambers, just 1/2 to 2/3 of the way down the side of the seal ring is enough.

If you have a collection of sharp, new taps you can also find one (11mm? Forgot the size) that will let you grip the metal ring, after stripping out the rubber stuff, and tug it out. A nice, clean way, but not everyone has taps lying around.
See SOHC4shop@gmail.com for info about the gadgets I make for these bikes.

The demons are repulsed when a man does good. Use that.
Blood is thicker than water, but motor oil is thicker yet...so, don't mess with my SOHC4, or I might have to hurt you.
Hondaman's creed: "Bikers are family. Treat them accordingly."

Link to Hondaman Ignition: http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=67543.0

Link to My CB750 Book: https://www.lulu.com/search?adult_audience_rating=00&page=1&pageSize=10&q=my+cb750+book

Link to website: www.SOHC4shop.com

Offline Nurse Julie

• Hot Shot
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2021, 01:00:58 am »
Trust me I'm a Nurse, I promise it won't hurt....much

Offline maestro

« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2021, 01:56:32 pm »
Good tips. I didn't see this first. I ended up using another user's method. I bought a blind bearing puller and a Dremell 199 cutter and got it out. I ended up not using the puller. When I went to cut the groove to catch it the bearing snagged on the cutter and spun right out. Here are links to what I bought.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00004UDGP/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06ZZ2FPVQ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1