Author Topic: Anyone have a Carpy one piece Yoshimura copy exhaust?  (Read 2238 times)

Offline gschuld

• Master
Anyone have a Carpy one piece Yoshimura copy exhaust?
« on: February 11, 2017, 01:40:34 pm »
I'm trying to track one down.  It must be that exact exhaust shape unfortunately.   I have a thread going in the general section and the Wanted section, just covering all my bases since I need to have a plan shortly.

http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,163725.0.html

http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,163723.0.html

No need for debate about quality differences or alternatives,  I need another of that earlier version exhaust.  Carpy sells a two piece version now, it's not the same at all.

Thanks,

George

Offline Haybus

• Enthusiast
Re: Anyone have a Carpy one piece Yoshimura copy exhaust?
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2017, 02:44:28 pm »
That's a cool looking belly pan George. Would be nice to capture those photos and a brief description of your fiberglass process in your road racing build thread, wink, wink.  I'd be surprised if your tucked in Carpy exhaust saw much damage in a simple low side crash. Most likely the foot pegs will take the damage.  Good luck, hope you find one.

Alan
75 CB750
76 KZ900

Offline gschuld

• Master
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2017, 04:46:48 pm »
Alan,

Thanks.  I think I may have a stop gap measure that will alleviate some of my concerns for now.  I could cut across the pipe on the center of the line in the blue tape, then use a nice stainless torca clamp to reassemble them.  I could put a single set screw through the clamp to the header section to index its position.  The thin clamp style will not effect my pan clearance and will give me options regarding the exposed tailpipe.

I checked and even with the potential slider pucks attached to the swingarm, the back end of the pipe will be exposed.  The pipe is straight mandrel bent 2.5" OD tubing.  I can have a local shop make me up a few 18" sections of 2.5, steel or stainless, and have them give me a matching 25 degree mandrel bend in the right spot.  Lots of cheap replaceable ends.  Could even test different lengths to experiment with tuned length effect easily (loosen two nuts, swap ends, tighten, done)

But I still want another matching full exhaust.  Not backing out there. 

I decided against doing a build thread at this point because:

1- I'm WAY too wordy.  Jesus, ask anyone! ::)
2- My start and stop on the project gets on MY nerves
3- The distraction would slow my already glacial, but picking up fast, progress.
4- Most importantly, I'm building a super advanced world beating monster of a
 racer and I feel compelled to keep all the proprietary stuff to myself.  This bike
is going to DOMINATE..... :o.     ::)

So when I'm done with the bike, completed a race or two, and have lived to tell the tale, I'll bore you all to death with the adventure.  Hopefully I won't be full of downtime with crash injuries.  Don't worry, I'm taking lots of pictures.

George
« Last Edit: February 11, 2017, 05:07:36 pm by gschuld »

Offline Bill/BentON Racing

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Ex Honda Service Manager, Cert. Honda Tech - Racer
    • BentON Racing
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2017, 05:05:53 pm »
Hmmm.......The Bentonian has one I believe..... ;D, Bill
BentON Racing Website
OEM Parts | Service | Custom Builds
BentON Racing Facebook
Over 35 years of experience working on vintage motorcycles, with a speciality in Honda SOHC/4 with a focus on the CB750 and other models as well from 1966 - 1985.
1993 HRC RS125 | 1984 NS400R | 1974 Honda CB750/836cc (Calendar Girl) | 1972 CB 500/550 Yoshi Kitted 590cc | 1965 Honda CB450 Black Bomber | 1972 Suzuki T350 | 1973 88cc | Z50/Falcons Pit Bike | 1967 CA100| 1974 CB350 (400F motor)...and more.

Offline Haybus

• Enthusiast
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2017, 05:07:48 pm »
I don't mean to derail the purpose of your thread George. I think separating the back end for damage repair purposes is a great idea.

I replaced my road grader blade belly pan with the standard offering from Airtech to accommodate my new 4-1 with Cone Eng muffler. I was dragging that belly pan in every corner at the end of the season. Got a lot more clearance now!!

I just like seeing the progress of a race bike build. Gives me inspiration on my stuff, as I'm sure it does others.

Alan

75 CB750
76 KZ900

Offline gschuld

• Master
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2017, 05:09:43 pm »
Goddammit Billy, ruining a perfectly good challenge ..... ;D

Ah, who doesn't want to have their own Bentonian...

Text incoming......

George
« Last Edit: February 11, 2017, 06:03:35 pm by gschuld »

Offline gschuld

• Master
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2017, 05:58:07 pm »
I don't mean to derail the purpose of your thread George. I think separating the back end for damage repair purposes is a great idea.

I replaced my road grader blade belly pan with the standard offering from Airtech to accommodate my new 4-1 with Cone Eng muffler. I was dragging that belly pan in every corner at the end of the season. Got a lot more clearance now!!

I just like seeing the progress of a race bike build. Gives me inspiration on my stuff, as I'm sure it does others.

Alan

Alan,

No issues here.  It's funny, I recall your big boy pan.  Intimidating it was.  I like the look of your new one much better.  Certainly the easy way and most cost/time effective way was to just order an Airtech belly pan or two.  No doubt.  I just tend to enjoy the little unique projects here and there (right Brent.... ;D... ;) )  It's sort of a character flaw.

I am purposefully going against the grain aesthetically with the whole bike.  I'm a non conformist at times.  The bike is intended to look less modified than it is, or at least more stock appearing than it is.  Sort of a "sleeper" look in muscle car lingo.  It is NOT an all out effort bike by any means.  It's meant to remain fully street legal, where it will spend most of its time.  Extra effort is given toward quick and easy conversion, street to track and back (quick disconnect stuff), as I expect the track use to be reasonably short lived for personal reasons.  Then it will remain a really fun street bike with the option to go to a few races if it works out and fits into my schedule.

So in short, too much effort is being put into a "half a$$ed" effort.  Street legal bikes shouldn't be on the track, and track bikes should not be on the street.  Again, pissing upwind is my motto here.

I actually have a good number of proper "hard core" road racer parts on hand.  And I modified and prepared two identical chassis.  If for some reason I felt compelled to do this for real, I have most of what I'd need to go goofy with the second chassis.  Unlikely though...

For now, I just want to have some fun, preferably not get hurt, and not break the motor Mike built for me ???

George
« Last Edit: February 11, 2017, 06:02:26 pm by gschuld »

Offline slikwilli420

• Master of Disaster
  • Master
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2017, 06:20:41 pm »

Alan

In my quest to build a proper race bike I need to learn along the way. Why the holes in the ignition cover and what is draining back into the clutch cover?
All you gotta do is do what you gotta do.

Vintage Speed Parts Mashup: http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=133638.0
Rickman CR Parts Kit Refresh: http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,154837.0.html
AHRMA CB750 Racer: http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,158461.0.html
AHRMA Superbike Heavyweight Racer: http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,173120.0.html
'76F CB750 Patina Redemption: http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,174871.0.html

Offline Haybus

• Enthusiast
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2017, 06:34:31 pm »
George,

That big boy pan was backed up by a home made sheet metal brake made specifically for that purpose and a month of seat time on a new Tig welder learning to weld aluminum. Of course the brake and Tig welder live on to be super useful on all kinds of projects. I'm no stranger to unique projects myself.

The holes in the ignition cover are for cooling after burning up my first Pamco. Pete is a stand up guy and replaced it, even after my full disclosure on how I was using it. Just don't want to take any chances. Have another unmodified cover for rainy days.

The clutch cover is a breather hose, tee'd to another hose coming out of the starter block off, both leading to a catch tank in the tail. These motors need all the crank case breathing they can get.

Alan
75 CB750
76 KZ900

Offline slikwilli420

• Master of Disaster
  • Master
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2017, 06:49:30 pm »
Go to know Alan. How do you like the TEC rear sets? At least that's what they look like? I'll definitely be adding those to my list. And don't be bashful about sharing any other pearls of cb750 racing wisdom with me via PM ;)
All you gotta do is do what you gotta do.

Vintage Speed Parts Mashup: http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=133638.0
Rickman CR Parts Kit Refresh: http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,154837.0.html
AHRMA CB750 Racer: http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,158461.0.html
AHRMA Superbike Heavyweight Racer: http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,173120.0.html
'76F CB750 Patina Redemption: http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,174871.0.html

Offline Haybus

• Enthusiast
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2017, 09:39:10 pm »
Those rearsets are okay. They might be Tec, can't remember. There's plenty on Ebay that look similar for around $100 or so. They have DU bushings (lead/PTFE) in the lever/pedal, and didn't control the bore really well. They were pressed in kind of funky too. Ended up having to machine down one of the pegs so it would rotate freely. The other seemed fine, until it got a bit of gunk built up after a few races and kept causing me to miss shifts. Would take me a lot more than $100 to make them so hard to complain too much. Everything I've seen on your built looks pretty top notch so far.

Alan
75 CB750
76 KZ900

Offline bwaller

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2017, 06:04:27 am »
Alan & anyone racing will admit that having extra rearset bits and lever spares is smart. I like the way you mount them too Alan, I did the same. The steel brackets may bend a little but are easily straightened, it's the rest of it all that gets messed up in a get-off. Don't use ultra machined high end stuff, it often breaks easily. Keep the pegs as short as possible.

I switched to GP shift and use a Honda steel shift lever. Cheap and can be straightened! I just had to re-program a 60 yr old brain to "not upshift".  ;D

EDIT: One other thing from Alan's picture is his oil cooler. I prefer to mount them this way too (inverted) so they stay full and require less time on start up for the engine to receive pressure. End of season M/T and flush. Refill when mounting same as spin-on oil filter. Combined those two items on mine hold 2/3 litre.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2017, 07:27:53 am by bwaller »

Offline gschuld

• Master
« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2017, 12:36:50 pm »
So Bill Benton to the rescue...

He bought a one piece Carpy exhaust in September 2011, for the very earliest days of "Calender Girl's" drag racing days.  Luckily he kept it after he switched it out for an RC sidewinder.....  so I have a copy of the exhaust I was looking for, very happy about it.  All within 3 or 4 days of looking. 

I am still interested in finding ANOTHER one when it pops up.  Two bikes, one spare exhaust between them should do just fine.  Let me know if another pops up.

Thanks a bunch guys.

George