Author Topic: Vacuum gauge intake bolts  (Read 512 times)

Offline camshaft1991

• Hot Shot
Vacuum gauge intake bolts
« on: February 20, 2017, 11:02:39 am »
So, I've stripped the heads of to two sets m5x6 bolts on my cb350f. The bolts cover four holes in cylinder head block intake and are the insert points for my vacuum gauges. I've stripped the OEM screw heads and a socketed set. I got them out but they can't seal because of the stripped heads. Can I use anti-seize here and would using cupped washers offer any benefits like keeping it more air tight?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline calj737

• Really Old Timer ...
  • I refuse...
Re: Vacuum gauge intake bolts
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2017, 11:19:20 am »
A small crush washer below the screw helps, but mostly stop cranking in them like King Kong! The original screws were JIS, so they stripped likely due to the wrong screwdriver tip. The hex heads were probably soft zinc and got stuck too.

A decent button head cap screw in stainless with a washer should last until the bike dies a slow death. Provided you don't over tighten it...
'74 550 Build http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=126401.0
'73 500 Build http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=132935.0

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of it's victim may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated, but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." - C.S. Lewis

Offline camshaft1991

• Hot Shot
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2017, 11:27:52 am »
I used a mini socket wrench but I guess I did go ape on them. Also would removing them after heating up the engine help too, or would a cold engine block be best?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline whizzer

• Be safe
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2017, 03:00:12 pm »
Motion pro sells set of permanent connectors. Small brass tubes, left in place, and covered with rubber caps. I installed them to end risk of stripping threads. Also easier to use than installing long tubes each sync.
72 cb350f
66 cb77 sold
72 Suzuki gt750 given away
59 Vespa given away
06 Whizzer sold