Author Topic: Weird Master Cylinder Fluid Weep - 500 Four  (Read 798 times)

Offline paulbaker1954

• I 'll just be 5 minutes dear!!
Weird Master Cylinder Fluid Weep - 500 Four
« on: February 20, 2017, 10:18:48 pm »
I seem to have a small amount of brake fluid appearing under the rubber boot around the end of the master cylinder.

I have replaced both banjo washers with new copper ones and replaced the bolt. There is no fluid on the hose or around the hose end so I think its not coming from the hose.

If I wipe it all clean and leave for a day or so I find fluid around the inside of the top of the rubber boot again.

If you squeeze brake lever I cant see any obvious leakage and brakes are working a treat and are firm.

Given that fluid can't climb up from the joint into the boot this is now mystifying me

Anyone got any bright ideas.

If you think there's light at the end of the tunnel it's usually another train !!

2014 Triumphy Trophy 1200
1971 Honda CB500 Four K0

Offline pjlogue

• Expert
Re: Weird Master Cylinder Fluid Weep - 500 Four
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2017, 02:01:11 am »
 If the banjo fittings are not leaking there are two possibilities.  1) if the break lever was pressed too far and the plunger went past the opening in the bottom of the reservoir the fluid can get behind the plunger where it will weep out by the lever.  Or 2) the plunger rubber is deteriorated or the MC bore is corroded and allows fluid to get past the plunger.  The fluid will weep from beneath the end rubber seal at the end of the plunger.

-P.

Offline Bodi

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2017, 03:42:03 am »
This is the brake line end, correct? With nothing under the boot except the butt end of the MC and the brake line banjo/washers/bolt?
Very very odd. Could the MC casting be porous or cracked? Or the banjo fitting? Is the a tiny leak from the hose/banjo joint?
Try leaving the boot off overnight with the MC compressed - wrap a bungie around the lever and bar? That might show you where the ooze is coming from.

Offline jonda500

• I may be crazy but I'm not stupid!
  • Master
  • With our thoughts we make the world (Monkey Magic)
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2017, 04:33:29 pm »
Did you try tightening the banjo bolt just a tad more? - that's what I had to do, but I didn't use new washers...
John 
Remember that an ignoramus is only someone who doesn't know something you just learned yesterday!

A starter clutch thread:
http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,122084.0.html
1972 CB500K1 original 4 owner bike
1972 CB500K1 returned to complete/original condition
1975 CB550F built from parts - project thread:
http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,149161.msg1711626.html#msg1711626
197? CB500/550 constructing from left over parts
1998 KTM 380 (two stroke) recent impulse buy, mmmm...

Offline 754

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2017, 08:21:42 pm »
Two things that may matter, be sure the end of mc is clean, may mean running a file across it, and examine for evidence of something that dug into the surface.
Same think with bolt head, if its not machined where it sits against crush washer, it may not be bearing down evenly..dont think the OEM ones have this problem.
Maker of the WELDLESS 750 Frame Kit
dodogas99@gmail.com
Kelowna B.C.       Canada

My next bike will be a ..ANFOB.....

It's All part of the ADVENTURE...

73 836cc.. Green, had it for 3 decades!!
Lost quite a few CB 750's along the way

Offline Scott S

• Global Moderator
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2017, 03:40:29 am »
 I had some cheap copper washers from Harbor Freight or somewhere that must not have been annealed correctly. They leaked no matter what I did. Replaced them with proper brake line washers from the auto parts store and that cured it.

'71 CB500 K0
'17 Triumph Street Scrambler
'81 Yamaha XS650