Author Topic: Reverse engineering fuel leak CB750 K3  (Read 740 times)

Offline Sigop

• Hot Shot
Reverse engineering fuel leak CB750 K3
« on: February 22, 2017, 05:28:54 am »
Completely cleaned and restored carbs a few months ago with new gaskets, o-rings, kept original jets, etc.and has been running well and clean for about 500 miles.  Just noticed a slight fuel weep around top of carb 2.  (Did add a bit of Seafoam and wonder if that loosened some dirt up.) The weep comes from the top so suspect a poorly fitted gasket; overflow tube at bottom of bowl had been cleared but fuel is not flowing out there. Pulled bowl and got a slow drip from around the float posts with float hanging down; push float up and drip stops.  Flipped float repeatedly trying to clear what I suspect is a bit of dirt in float valve.  Reassembled bowl and hoped for the best.  Nope.
Fuel valve petcock was shut off so where was the fuel continuing to come from?  Next removed petcock bowl to check new filter, gasket and o-rings. With petcock fully closed was getting drip so closed her back up for now--did not disassemble anything yet.
Suspect following is needed.
1. Remove fuel tank, disassemble petcock and clean it out.
2. Remove carb bank (damn) and clean out number 2, rechecking bowl drain tube, float valve, and gasket seating. Clear tube check all carbs while off bike.
3. Have never flushed rust out of fuel tank, though original and has some slight visible inside, so question is this. Search looks like easiest process is "The Works".  Is it as simple as flushing with that, and then if immediately refilling with gas, no oil coating would be needed. 

Does my thinking for what I need to do sound about right to you folks? Should I be looking for something else or be doing something else while I have these things apart again? All opinions welcome.
Thanks all.
CB750 K3  Original Owner and Operator

Offline flybox1

• My wife thinks I'm a
  • Really Old Timer ...
Re: Reverse engineering fuel leak CB750 K3
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2017, 09:17:39 am »
Take a picture of your carbs, and indicate on the photo the specific place the leak is coming from.

The works is a good rust treatment.  So is Kleen strip PrepnEtch.
Both only take an afternoon to work. 
(I would suggest if you have heavy rust, you get that removed first.
Rinse with hot water/simple green mix and some loose nuts and bolts tossed around inside)
Once you complete the rust treatment, rinse really well with water, 2-3-times, finish with an acetone chaser, and a few minutes with your shop vac tube inside to get it completely dry.  Then top off with gas.
'78 750K (F3 engine) PD42b's, Modified airbox w/K&N  filter, 40/110 jets, 1 needle shim, IMS@ 1 turn out. Kerker + Cone 18" QuietCore

Past Bikes
1974 550K0 (stock), 1973 CB350F (stock), 1983 Yamaha XS400K (POS)
77/78 cool 2 member #3
"Knowledge without mileage equals bullsh!t" - Henry Rollins

"This is my CB. There are many like it, but this one is mineā€¦"

Offline Sigop

• Hot Shot
Re: Reverse engineering fuel leak CB750 K3
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2017, 06:48:20 pm »
Flybox, thank you. I'm away from the bike for a couple days but will try to get pic back in a couple days. Want to work on it this weekend.
CB750 K3  Original Owner and Operator