Author Topic: Inline fuel filter versus cleaning/replacing petcock filter?  (Read 5724 times)

Offline Bodi

• Really Old Timer ...
Re: Inline fuel filter versus cleaning/replacing petcock filter?
« Reply #25 on: March 13, 2021, 06:49:34 pm »
Janne: that is basically the same as the petcock sock filter and should be no problem at all.

Offline flatlander

• Old Timer
« Reply #26 on: March 13, 2021, 11:16:55 pm »
except a normal flow with this type of filter 100% of the time is not 100% guaranteed - after running dry a mysterious err vapourlock? or something can prevent fuel flowing - it happened to the yamaha I used to own more than just once or twice!
John

i agree, have experienced such flow problems with inline filters myself. it can happen when it runs empty, for example when switching to reserve.
best is to just get the in-tank filter in good order or replace it with an OEM one if it's gone. that's all that's needed and will solve all troubles.

Online Deltarider

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Another big liar has to face the truth.
« Reply #27 on: March 13, 2021, 11:46:16 pm »
For a CB500/550 I cannot recommend inline filters. An out of the blue* hesitating engine almost killed me whilst overtaking on a curvy 'Alpenstrasse' with oncoming traffic.
*I had completely forgotten I fitted them weeks before. Why I did that? I don't know. I must have fallen victim to the nonrational desire to do something 'extra' for my bike. Ever since I had the fuellines in the correct dimensions**, I never had the problem reoccurred and the fuelcock filter is still the same as fitted at the assembly line in 1976...
** The correct dimensions are: for the CB500 and CB550Ks with oldstyle carbs: 18 and 30 cm length for the models with the bowltype petcock and 17 and 28 cm for models (including CB550F and CB550F1) that have the newer style petcock. Do not be tempted to have them even one cm longer. For the tube that supplies carbs 3+4, use the soft metal clamp in the middle front side as shown in the pic (horizontal is good enough). Ideal inside ⌀ is 5,5 mm. Outside ⌀ will be 9-11mm. Have this and the lines CAN'T even kink ever. From experience I can only advice to abstain from extra inline filters. Some have been lucky with them, but they can cause hazardous situations, sometimes even weeks later, seemingly out of the blue, when you have forgotten about them! You can be reassured that anything that passes the stock fuelcock filter, does not impede carburation, provided you drain the float bowls say once a year.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2021, 12:25:44 am by Deltarider »
CB500K2-ED Excel black
"There is enough for everyone's need but not enough for anybody's greed."

Offline janne_83

« Reply #28 on: March 15, 2021, 01:47:59 am »
Thanks all! I'll try how this works with the system.

When I ride my -78 CB500 I'm basically prepared all-the-time to have some sort of system fail. I guess what I'm saying is that I don't have the confidence to ride it nowhere near like I would ride a modern bike. I have had surprises during riding and probably the most unpleasant was a spark plug fail when leaving a very dangerous intersection.. and the brakes are basically the weakest part compared to a modern bike so you always have to ride it like anything could happen during the ride. I also usually plan my routes so that I take extra kilometers to take the more safe route.

Have a great and safe week everyone!

Offline bryanj

• Really Old Timer ...
  • CB500 Number 1000036
« Reply #29 on: March 15, 2021, 02:47:59 am »
If you think those brakes are bad try a 1970 Bonneville!!!
The Hondas brakes were the best thing going in the 70's but traffic got busier and intelligence of car drivers shrank in the time
Semi Geriatric ex-Honda mechanic and MOT tester (UK version of annual inspection). Garage full of "projects" mostly 500/4 from pre 73 (no road tax in UK).

Remember "Its always in the last place you look" COURSE IT IS YOU STOP LOOKIN THEN!