Author Topic: Cl360 1975 idle issue, help with diagnosis  (Read 1173 times)

Offline work9to5

Cl360 1975 idle issue, help with diagnosis
« on: February 25, 2017, 11:08:00 am »
Hey guys, need a little help with an idle issue I'm having on a cl360. Sold the bike to a friend about a year and a half ago in pristine condition. Guy call me up last week and says he needs cash fast and would I buy it back for half the price. I jumped on it. Got it back non running and with a hack job cafe type thing going on. Got it running 4 hours later. Spent the past week cleaning her up and checking everything to make her safe/comfortable to ride again.

But I'm having an idle issue I can't resolve. After riding for 5mins bike idle doesn't want to return to normal 1,200rpm. Instead hovers at 3,500. When I'm at a light I can adjust the idle screw down and bike will immediately return to normal idle. But then at the next light or the one thereafter same problem.

I've cleaned carbs, checked float height (18.5), sync'd carbs, checked air leakage (none). Bike has pods on it. Was running perfectly when I sold it and other than idle weirdness runs like a top. Complete power band, smooth throttle from idle to wot.

One thing I did notice was #1 carb, will "burp" a little at idle. And the needle moves a bit in its seat. I didn't measure it but has travel up and down slightly. I'm not really familiar with these rubber diafram carbs, mostly work on fours with slides. The screw that holds the needle in place seems like it's stripped a bit won't seat completely. I think this is where I'm getting the issue from.

Can anyone recommend a place to find the plastic cylinder "slide" piece (where the needle sits)? Is it worth just using an adhesive to seat the needle semi-permanently? Thought and opinion welcome

Offline Mr. Mike

• Hot Shot
Re: Cl360 1975 idle issue, help with diagnosis
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2017, 01:09:00 pm »
"Hack job cafe type thing on it"
Well, I'd check a few things;
On this hack job, is the throttle cable routed without hard bends?
Or, you may have to remove the pair and pop the top and see if the slides drop in freely.
It takes a good force to strip that slide thread, not sayin it couldn't happen but you'll know if it is.
Torn diaphragm rubber?
If your trouble persists after help here on the forum, Google carb trouble for your CL360 and there's some good videos. Parts for your carbs are available too doing a G search.
2002 Electra Glide
1978 750K
1966 CL77 (sold)
2020 CB500X

Offline work9to5

Re: Cl360 1975 idle issue, help with diagnosis
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2017, 11:46:20 am »
Have resolved some of the issues. Turns out the po put new grips on without any adhesive. Reapplying them removed some if the errant throttle. I then removed the push cable and lubed the pull cable and it seems to have helped. I'm still getting a "blimp" from the right side carb at idle. No blimps at higher throttle. Removed carb tops and found that the screw that holds needle down had come off. Screw/bolt in the carb slide is definitely stripped. Going to put some blue loctite on it and hope that it holds for now while I search for a slide replacement. If anyone has one please lmk. Will post in want section as well