Author Topic: 1982 CB650 Build  (Read 1169 times)

Offline JDP12

1982 CB650 Build
« on: March 08, 2017, 02:46:17 pm »
Hello all-

Finally picked up a bike monday- 82 CB650.  Hasn't run in a while, but the engine isn't seized and it only has ~18000 miles on it.  Lot's of other little things- bad cables, starter clutch, etc, kinda expected but for $250 I'm not complaining.  Not really sure what to expect but looking forward to it.  This is going to be my first serious project.  Not sure exactly what direction I want to take this bike in quite yet. This thread will be the home of the progress and build project.  It will be a slow process as I find time to work on it but figured by starting a thread early it'll help keep me acccountable to work on it haha.

For starters- here's the bike as it was when I picked up Monday. 

« Last Edit: March 08, 2017, 03:23:36 pm by JDP12 »

Offline irish44395

• Hot Shot
Re: 1982 CB650 Build
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2017, 01:33:34 pm »
I'm redoing a 650 my self looking forward to watching your progress
Pete

Offline JDP12

« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2017, 04:02:27 pm »
No major updates unfortunately, just been busy with work.  have done some minor teardown, and currently trying to source some parts.  Mostly gaskets as those seem to be the toughest thing to find.  When I got the bike the right engine cover and crankcase cover were off ( i have them) but as such I'll need new gaskets.  I thought about just making them out of gasket maker... but that doesn't seem like the greatest idea.  Anyone have tips on gaskets for these older bikes?

Offline irish44395

• Hot Shot
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2017, 03:43:10 am »
I have seen gaskets on line at a few vintage honda sites. ebay is also a good source, I just made a clutch cover gasket it took me about a half hour and drank coffee while I did it also cheaper to do
Pete

Offline JDP12

« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2017, 06:59:05 am »
Found some on ebay it looks like. 
« Last Edit: March 19, 2017, 09:51:52 am by JDP12 »

Offline RAFster122s

• I feel like a really really
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • SOHC4 member # 2605
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2017, 10:49:19 am »
If you have a scanner, then scan the gaskets you make or buy and if they fit well...and you also measure the thickness of the paper or whichever material it happens to be, then you can cut your own from those patterns. A little double stick tape or glue stick can temporarily adhere the pattern to the gasket material... Use punches for your holes and a good sharp blade.
Sometimes you can make your own set cheaper than you can buy them if you only need a few...certainly would not be applicable for gaskets that are critical they not leak or fail...
A dab of grease on paper gaskets can help keep them in place when reassembling when bolts go through the gasket or fit it to the cover you are putting on first.   If the sealing surface has PO damage with a gouge to the sealing surface, then level it with a file or sanding block and then on a flat surface, 1/4" glass works great, you can tape a sheet or two of fine sandpaper to level that cover to a good sealing surface again. This only works on covers which do not have clearance issues that are very tight or another part such as a clutch cover and clutch mechanism might be slightly affected.  If the gouge in a sealing surface is too deep or in the cases, then you can use JB Weld as it is an excellent alternative and commonly used by many.  FWIW, FYI...

You can buy all kinds and thicknesses and sizes of gasket paper and gasket material on Ebay or McMaster-Carr, Amazon, etc.
Personally, I try to avoid Chinese parts...but so much any more is being made there and some of it is of good quality, if they were built to a quality level rather than a price point or they were counterfeit.  There are lots of cheap electronics that are made from recycled electronic components...bet that is not commonly known.  Sometimes it is not a bad thing as it is low risk, but other devices should not be used that are recycled.  Capacitors and IC chips can be some of the more risky common components/devices harvested... Another tidbit...

Good luck with your build... there are several 650 build threads where they are dropping a rebuilt 650 motor into a 550 frame. A very nice modification as the 550 is a nice handling chassis with some improvements it is even better.
You can check into those, they have done much of the legwork on gaskets and sources and can advise you...
Camrector is one of those individuals... GV1390 and  DaveBarbier are a couple that are doing the 650 in 550 frame.

David
David- back in the desert SW!

Offline JDP12

« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2017, 02:57:06 pm »
Thanks for the tip man.  I think i'll be able to find some gaskets on ebay for a reasonable price right now, but that is definitely a good trick to know.  and I've heard that about droppin a 650 engine in the 550 frame, for right now I think I'm going to be focusing on just restoring this 82 650 to it's stock condition.  the more stock than not thread has me definitely drooling over some of those bikes. 

Offline JDP12

« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2017, 04:45:31 pm »
Slight Update, not too much to report. 

Started going through the box of parts the previous owner had given to me to sort it all out and figure out exactly what was what.  Luckily so far it seems like pretty much everything is there from what I can tell so far, but just upon further looking at the engine with what covers he took off removed... I think I may just pull the engine out and examine/clean/reassemble it properly.  My main concern is all of that gunk in the gearshift linkage area- which is mostly just old oil and other gunk from it not having run in 20+ years, and if that areas like that, theres a good chance other parts of the engine are.  While I haven't ever pulled an engine out of a motorcycle, shouldn't be too bad looking at it.  Figure if I'm going to spend time getting it to run I'd rather take the extra time now than just have to do it later.  hoping to get that pulled out sometime this weekend, and then go from there.

Offline JDP12

« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2017, 03:27:23 pm »
Nothing major-  Just more teardown.  Expecting to have the engine out by tomorrow- getting the carbs out was a real b!tch due to the corrosion and old rubber just hardening, but eventually got them out.  Definitely going to be tearing apart the engine as I can just see the valves and the dirt and grease and crap that's in there, and just going to be dong an engine rebuild.  Working on just strippin everything off the frame, etc.