Author Topic: New Toy- 1971 Suzuki T500  (Read 32890 times)

Offline grcamna2

• Not a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • I love to restore & travel. Keep'em Going Strong !
Re: New Toy- 1971 Suzuki T500
« Reply #50 on: April 23, 2017, 08:03:27 pm »
Pics !  :)
75' CB400F/'bunch o' parts' & 81' CB125S modded to a 'CB200S'
  I love the small ones too !
Do your BEST...nobody can take that away from you.

Offline ekpent

• Really Old Timer ...
  • To many bikes-but lookin' for more
« Reply #51 on: April 24, 2017, 04:05:26 am »
Eric is the motorcycle bargain whisperer............ ;D
Unfortunately the 'whisperer" had to pay a little more for this then his cheap arse liked  :'(

Offline Terry in Australia

• Really Old Timer ...
  • So, what do ya wanna talk about today?
« Reply #52 on: April 24, 2017, 04:41:58 am »
What? Not 3 figures? Surely not! ;D
I was feeling sorry for myself because I couldn't afford new bike boots, until I met a man with no legs.

So I said, "Hey mate, you haven't got any bike boots you don't need, do you?"

"Crazy is a very misunderstood term, it's a fine line that some of us can lean over and still keep our balance" (thanks RB550Four)

Offline ekpent

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #53 on: May 06, 2017, 07:42:48 pm »
 Well I have been cleaning and fiddling,mounting air box and boots etc. with the T500 and now that I have run it off a slave tank and know that it lives I need a gas tank to see if it will actually go down the road. Pics kind of suck but you get the idea. Supposedly the bike has not been on the road since 1974 and the tank has some good varnish and rust going on. No gas was in the tank but was surprised there was still some liquid gas in the petcock bowl. Hmm go figure. Got a heavy coat of un-buffed Turtle Wax on it right now, a greasy cork in the petcock hole and a rubber expandable plumbers plug in the filler. Cap dissembled for a good cleaning also. All buttoned up nice and tight so no nasty leaks to hurt the paint.. I had an old can of carb dunk around that was out of circulation now so with a turkey baster and funnel I carefully put about 2/3rds or so of what was left in the can into the tank along with all my special nuts and bolts I use for cleaning/scrapping. It is in soak mode now and when I get off my lazy a$# now and then its shake shake shake.  Need to breakdown the varnish first so then the acid on the next round can effectively attack the rust. Shooting for having it done Monday maybe and at this point hopefully do not plan on putting any liner in,usually a last resort option for me.  Updates later.  Eric
« Last Edit: May 06, 2017, 07:44:30 pm by ekpent »

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #54 on: May 07, 2017, 03:20:17 am »
Here you go Eric, here's some mood music for you............. ;D

I was feeling sorry for myself because I couldn't afford new bike boots, until I met a man with no legs.

"Crazy is a very misunderstood term, it's a fine line that some of us can lean over and still keep our balance" (thanks RB550Four)

Offline ekpent

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #55 on: May 07, 2017, 04:24:38 am »
 " Shake Shake Shake- Shake my Tankie"  Thanks for the motivation Terry, might even lose a couple pounds "Dancing to the Oldies"   ;D
« Last Edit: May 07, 2017, 04:26:33 am by ekpent »

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #56 on: May 07, 2017, 05:10:53 am »
Ha ha, well I can't talk of course, but if you've seen a recent pic of KC Eric, you might change your mind.......... ;D

Offline ekpent

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #57 on: May 07, 2017, 05:25:29 am »
 Holy Crap  :o :o

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #58 on: May 07, 2017, 05:54:56 am »
Well imagine what he'd be like if he gave up his day job! ;D

Offline ekpent

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #59 on: May 09, 2017, 05:24:31 am »
  Met my goal of getting the tank cleaned out Monday of all the rust and varnish from sitting since 1974. The old carb dunk cleaner did a good job on the varnish after sitting for a couple days in there getting swished around with bolts etc.. Moved on with the Works cleaner and after two different sessions and bottles it was 80% gone but still scale on the tunnel and top side and other areas where the scrappers were not hitting good.( I think the Works may have gotten weaker and greener ??) Went to the pool shed and broke out the 'big guns' and grabbed a bottle of muratic acid and whipped up a little potion and the rest of the rust succumbed very quickly. Pic shows my 165 mph shop vac/blower drying out the interior very quickly and am happy to report the tank is relaxing right now with a good stiff drink of some gas and a heavy dose of two stroke oil waiting for its reunion with the bike.
  Hopefully the next update will be a ride report.

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #60 on: May 09, 2017, 05:33:59 am »
Beautiful work Eric! ;D 

Offline ekpent

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #61 on: May 09, 2017, 05:54:06 am »
 Tank interior has some pretty good etching from the rust but can always do a liner later if needed,hate having to go there if not a leaker.

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #62 on: May 09, 2017, 05:59:26 am »
Yeah mate, with all that 2 stroke oil it'll probably never rust again! ;D

Offline Stev-o

• Ain't no
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Central Texas
« Reply #63 on: May 09, 2017, 06:55:09 am »
Looks good. Cant wait for the ride report....
'74 "Big Bang" Honda 750K [836].....'76 Honda 550F.....K3 Park Racer!......and a Bomber!............plus plus plus.........

Offline ekpent

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #64 on: May 11, 2017, 07:31:34 pm »
 Had some time this afternoon so I finished mounting up the cleaned petcock on my newly cleaned fuel tank and mounted it and the seat up and buttoned up a couple other little things. I had run it off the slave tank a week or more ago and now it was official. Turned the petcock to 'prime' ,dropped the choke lever down and after a couple jabs with the left sided kicker (got to get used to that-no electric start on this model) it cracked and cackled to life again. Supposedly was last on the road in 1974. Warmed it up up a little then fiddled with the carbs to get the idle down. Two different adjustment points, one screw for each slide and got it down to around 1200 rpm. I  need to study up some more to really dial these carbs in as far as synching etc.  The clutch plates were free so I snicked it in gear and off I went. As the engine began to clean out I was leaving some impressive smoke trails. Transmission shifted great with no scary noises. That is always a major relief. Even though the bike still has its original 1971 factory redline tires amazingly there are no cracks etc. but still kind of a scary deal. I ran the bike up to around 65-70 mph a few times to help clean things out. Pretty impressed with the front drum brake and the rear also. Luckily all the lights and the blinkers, horn etc work perfect. Would hate to have to replace the headlight, its a goofy shape and expensive.
   The smoke cleared up to what may be called normal and the smoke seemed even out of both pipes which is a good sign so far. Going to pretty much call this one good for now and move on to another project and in the meantime study up  a little more on tuning tips and search for a couple of parts I would like to still get for it. Little more cleaning if I get in the mood. Definitely  looking forward to a little more road testing also !!
  Thanks for following along.  Eric
« Last Edit: May 11, 2017, 08:00:34 pm by ekpent »

Offline Stev-o

• Ain't no
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Central Texas
« Reply #65 on: May 11, 2017, 08:11:07 pm »
Nice job, that is a sweet little Suzi!   Now I want one.....
'74 "Big Bang" Honda 750K [836].....'76 Honda 550F.....K3 Park Racer!......and a Bomber!............plus plus plus.........

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #66 on: May 11, 2017, 09:34:27 pm »
Beautiful work Eric, what a great bike! Cheers, Terry. ;D

Offline Zunspec

• Hot Shot
« Reply #67 on: May 12, 2017, 06:16:45 am »
Well done, Eric.  Great to see you have brought the T500 back to life again  8)

Cheers  Geoff

Offline grcamna2

• Not a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • I love to restore & travel. Keep'em Going Strong !
« Reply #68 on: May 12, 2017, 03:11:25 pm »
Nice work on that sweet machine  :)
75' CB400F/'bunch o' parts' & 81' CB125S modded to a 'CB200S'
  I love the small ones too !
Do your BEST...nobody can take that away from you.

Offline Stev-o

• Ain't no
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Central Texas
« Reply #69 on: May 12, 2017, 04:38:19 pm »
Another notch on the headpost, Eric?!  Whats next, Grande Bandito??

Why not make this thread your unofficial Suzi thread?

Offline ekpent

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #70 on: May 13, 2017, 04:54:38 am »
  Thanks for the compliment Guys !  I think I will pull this little GT185 out of the line and finish this one next. I cleaned the carbs a few years or so back when I got it but it only fired on one cylinder and then quickly moved to another 750 to work on. It may be something simple like a dirty set of points or maybe another bad coil like the T500 had. Be nice to get the air box and other parts back out of a box and on the bike where they belong.
  After that I think I will fiddle with this GT550 some more as it will actually be a better everyday type of rider then the T500. Have had it running in the past but never put it on the road. Has a little more patina and is not as much of a low mileage time capsule. So stay tuned this summer.
  Feel free to post any and all Suzuki stuff in the meantime folks.  Eric
« Last Edit: May 13, 2017, 05:15:36 am by ekpent »

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #71 on: May 13, 2017, 05:24:15 am »
That 550 is sweet Eric, I love those chrome expansion chambers! Back in the day, a friend of mine almost cut a cow in half when he "T Boned" (pun intended) the wandering Bovine @ 60 MPH on a black 550 just like yours.

He was pretty banged up, his bike was a write off, and the attending cop had to put the poor cow down with several rounds from his little .38. Back then, the 550 was a really popular bike here, especially if you didn't have the bucks for a mighty GT750. I never owned one, (a 550) but I really liked them. Cheers, Terry. ;D

Offline Stev-o

• Ain't no
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Central Texas
« Reply #72 on: May 13, 2017, 05:30:47 am »
A couple more nice bikes from the Eric collection!   Did not know they made a GT185. 

That GT550 in black looks great!   I've wanted one of those for awhile now, looked at one last month, but the seller and I were too far apart on price. 

Offline ekpent

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #73 on: May 26, 2017, 07:00:40 pm »
  I recently got lucky and scored an original paint left side cover in good condition with the emblem and knob off E-bay for 50 bucks.Pretty tough score. The only other teal 1971 cover I was able to find was from Suzuki guru Paul Miller for $150.00. I would then have had to buy the knob for another $15.00 and hunt down a repop emblem which can run around another $65.00 or so plus shipping on all the stuff. The patina on this one is perfect to match the bike though I should restore the badge and get some white paint back where it belongs. Happy for the bikes sake to have found it.  Now if my camera would recognize teal and not make it blue that would be cool. The sidecover in the e-bay add looked blue also. Cameras hate this teal color !!  :D

Offline Stev-o

• Ain't no
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Central Texas
« Reply #74 on: May 26, 2017, 07:48:05 pm »
Nice score indeed, Eric.  Very hard to get matching patina side panels.  It's metal, right?

I like it in blue!