Author Topic: 2017 Road Race Reports  (Read 9028 times)

Offline Haybus

• Enthusiast
Re: 2017 Road Race Reports
« Reply #50 on: June 27, 2017, 07:29:11 pm »
You know that point where you're working on your bike and your wife comes into the garage and starts asking all sorts of questions about house chores you're supposed to be doing while you're finishing up the reinstallation of the entire front end? Yeah, I should go stand in a corner, you're right.
75 CB750
76 KZ900

Offline RAFster122s

• I feel like a really really
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • SOHC4 member # 2605
« Reply #51 on: June 28, 2017, 01:10:19 am »
It passed tech inspection...think I would find some new tech inspectors... sheesh
David- back in the desert SW!

Offline turboguzzi

• Old Timer
« Reply #52 on: June 28, 2017, 09:30:30 am »
Sure know what you are talking about...
i have one important rule in the garage: when wrenching, always tighten things back up as if you are going to ride NOW, even if you plan to remove again the piece tomorrow after or re-position it half an hour later.

in 10 years of racing I had one similar "almost" moment,
nothing happened but it surely could have deadly.

Offline Rocketman

• Hot Shot
« Reply #53 on: July 10, 2017, 06:51:28 pm »
Mid-Ohio Vintage Days update.  Friday was a washout with rain falling most of the day.  Since the forecast was dry Saturday and Sunday most riders chose to stay dry.  The track was cold and slick for the first round of practice, but the sun was out and traction soon improved.  Scott MacKenzie did the SOHC group proud with 2 first place finishes in Vintage 3 and 2 first place finishes in Formula 500.  I finally was able to find some speed and tallied a 4th and 3rd in Vintage 3 along with a pair of thirds in Formula 500.  Lowered my best lap time on the Honda by 4 seconds which had me smiling!  Thought my motor was failing in the last race as it would no longer pull redline.  Took me 2 laps to realize the motor was fine, but the tach was failing.  Pretty sure the voltage of the internal battery had dropped below minimum.  By then any chance of staying with Dave Morrow on his RD400 was lost.  About that time Dave Roper came by on his Aermacchi 350.  He is so fast and smooth.  Was running him down on the straights, then watching him pull away in the curves.  Next up is Mosport and the big 50th GP anniversary.

Offline dragracer

• Really Old Timer ...
  • CB750F Dragbike
« Reply #54 on: July 10, 2017, 09:04:13 pm »
Thanks for the reports guys. I'm not a knee dragger but like to read your experiences nonetheless.

Offline Haybus

• Enthusiast
« Reply #55 on: July 11, 2017, 08:24:48 pm »
Agreed, really enjoy reading everyone's race reports. Surprised there haven't been more. Coming up on round 5 for us.

Alan
75 CB750
76 KZ900

Offline Haybus

• Enthusiast
« Reply #56 on: July 24, 2017, 10:51:12 pm »
WMRRA round 5, and the last round for most of us formula 750 folks as we head for Utah for the AHRMA round. We go into this round with me in first, Chris in 2nd just 5 points behind, and John in 3rd just 6 points behind. I have to finish ahead of John in one of the two races or it's over.

Saturday practices go well. I spend most of the first practice following Chris to catch some footage and just trying to hit my lines. 2nd practice I follow Chris for awhile, until John surprises me at the end of the straight and then I follow, ahem, try to catch him the rest of the practice. He's so smooth and fast and makes it look effortless. There's a few corners I go deeper and reel him in a bit, but he gaps me easily on any straight. It's a ton of work trying to stay with him, catch him, pass him.

Saturday afternoon in my SV race we have a couple restarts due to crashes and a long delay because there's a deer near the track. Evidently on the first restart they knew the deer was there, but headed away from the track. They told the racers on the front row to watch out for a deer!! During the race the deer did a 180 and headed right back for the track about the same time we had a 2nd crash. Crazy.

Sunday race 1 I decide feathering the clutch on the start just isn't working for me. I'm spending too much time slipping and need to get the power down quicker. I tried it on the SV and got a less bad start, ha ha. Start is better and I'm right on John leading into turn 2. I keep him insight the entire race. I'm working really hard to catch him, but he pulls about a second per lap away from me and finishes about 4 seconds in front of me. I put down my fastest lap ever, and of course so does John!!! Feels really good to almost be running his pace, and I'm glad he's got a reason to push the pace. I'd like to give him more of a battle, but it's not without trying.

Race 2 I get a decent start, but so does Gary Ryder, a returning fast guy on a wicked fast Norton. We drag race to turn 1 and I'm gaining on Gary, but I pop out of 4th and have to single file leading up into 2. Gary has really good low power coming out of corners and runs a tight line. I almost pass him in a couple corners, but decide it's a bit too risky. I get him in a drag race into turn 1 on the 2nd lap, having the inside line, and brake a bit later. I focus on catching John, and I do for a lap or two, but I start having more transmission problems, mostly popping out of 5th. I'm probably tired and being lazy with my shifts, but it could be time for some transmission maintenance before Utah. Needless to say, I never catch John and he picks up the remaining points to secure the championship.

Another awesome season in the Pacific Northwest, racing with the best people. Next year looks to be a return to some big grids for Formula 750. We should have me, Chris, John and Joseph returning on our CB/CR 750's, Gary on his Norton, Duncan on his Seely-Westlake, possibly Paul on a new CB750, and hopefully Paul Brodie on his hand built Excelsior will be returning. Rumors of other people wanting to jump in, and I'll always be recruiting.

Alan

75 CB750
76 KZ900

Offline Haybus

• Enthusiast
« Reply #57 on: September 05, 2017, 10:20:27 am »
Skipped WMRRA round 6 this year to attend the AHRMA event in Utah. Happened to stop by Bonneville on Thursday afternoon and caught the very tail end of the Motorcycle Speed Trials. Very cool place and super glad I got to be there with a little action happening.

Started off the event with the Friday practice session. Breezed through tech. Got in 2 sessions before lunch and was just starting to get comfortable with the track. It's very technical with some features that need to be avoided, like big seam dips and bumps. First session after lunch I pop out of gear on one of the short straights. Shift up, nothing, shift down, nothing. I quickly pull off the track onto the connector between East and West tracks, (not part of the racing surface for the weekend) and proceed to dump copious amounts of oil when I come to a stop. When I get back to the pits I see the case didn't have enough ventilation so the chains decided to alleviate the situation. Blew open the oil pan too. Dang, those were the HD chains!! Hopefully do a post mortem later this week.

I resigned myself to being Chris' crew chief all weekend, but John and Lisa, and Mick and Rita Hart would have none of that. John had brought is 72 street bike and they all insisted we swap motors. I really had to think through all the differences in motors before starting a task like that. In the end we only had to address the different size of crank ventilation tube at the transmission. Fired her up about 8:30 or so Friday night and finished a few last minute tweaks before tech Saturday morning. Rode it around the pits smoking like crazy for a bit, but it all finally burned off and cleared up. Of course everybody at tech knew I had done a motor swap so they went over it with a fine too comb. But it passed, whew.

The rest of the day is fairly uneventful. Runs good in both practices. There's 8 F750's registered but only 6 show up on the grid. I get a horrible start and file in dead last leading into T1. Takes me too long to get around Andrew on the BMW and Stan on the Norton, but I can see Chris in 3rd when I finally do. Unfortunately the gap is too much and I take 4th, Chris keeps 3rd, John gets 2nd, and John Ellis on a fast Yamaha XS gets 1st.

Sunday morning in the 2nd practice Chris blows his front tire and does some dirt riding. Looks like a sidewall pinch, perhaps from too low air pressure in an attempt to remedy his front end chatter. Stock front forks are quite laborious to remove the wheel with lots of lockwire, but we get it done fairly quickly. I get a slightly better start in the F750 race, passing the BMW in T1. I pass Chris a couple turns later and follow the Norton around for a lap or 2. I try inside, and outside passes, but we have about the same speed coming out of every corner and he just sits there with me not gaining an inch. Man I miss my motor!! I finally see where he doesn't go deep enough in a double right hander, out brake him on the inside, he's hard on the gas trying to go around me, but I keep my drive out of the next corner and move into 3rd, where I finish.

I also entered the Formula Vintage, which lined up a short, hot, 2 races later. There's only 4 of us in this race, and only about 12 total bikes on the grid. I get a good start and I'm right on John in T1. Almost go around the outside of him, but can't quite pull him. I keep him in sight for about 6 laps, but the gap widens every lap and I run out of motor and energy. I equal my best time of the weekend in that race, though it felt like I was riding through water. John gets 3rd in that race for his 3rd podium of the weekend.

I can't thank John enough for letting me cannibalize his street bike. I had an awesome weekend and I owe it all to him. He's a great friend, a talented racer and mentor to Chris and I, and an all around wealth of knowledge on racing these bikes.

Alan

75 CB750
76 KZ900

Online Jerry Rxman Griffin aka MuthaF'er

• This MuthaF'er is getting to be a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Bought her new 4/75
« Reply #58 on: September 05, 2017, 12:07:31 pm »
Bad news followed up with good news. Glad the weekend worked out.

Which HD chains were you using?
As of today 3/13/2012 my original owner 75 CB750F has made it through 3 wives, er EX-wives. Free at last.  ;-)

Offline bwaller

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #59 on: September 05, 2017, 04:57:36 pm »
Good report & good salvage on your weekend. Sounds typical for vintage guys huh Alan? What... need a motor, here use mine.  8)

I'm curious about your chains too, man gotta wonder....

We're up this weekend.

Offline Haybus

• Enthusiast
« Reply #60 on: September 05, 2017, 09:32:01 pm »
The vintage crew is a whole nother level of awesome people Brent. I understand wanting to know what chains they were. I'm not trying to start a scare, or hurt anyone's business. I certainly cannot blame those chains yet. Could be any number of things that failed first and caused the chains to take off, even my workmanship. I have new cush drive rubbers, and should have installed them, but I didn't and it might have cost me. Perhaps I didn't locktite the single bolt that holds the tensioner in place. These motors vibrate so much that it certainly could have rattled out. Perhaps those chains just weren't up to the task of hauling my big arse around the track for two years!! If you must know where I got them send me a PM.

Alan
75 CB750
76 KZ900

Offline scottly

• Global Moderator
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Humboldt, AZ
« Reply #61 on: September 05, 2017, 09:35:01 pm »
The teeth on the sprockets appear to be out of line? Cush drive failure?
Don't fix it if it ain't broke!
Helmets save brains. Always wear one and ride like everyone is trying to kill you....

Offline 754

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #62 on: September 05, 2017, 10:09:54 pm »
I have noticed that before, one chain tightbon bottom, other tight on top.
I had thought it Was designed that way to reduce lash.
Did you find broken case piece m looks like easy fix.
If you xant find it I may be able to saw one out.
Maker of the WELDLESS 750 Frame Kit
dodogas99@gmail.com
Kelowna B.C.       Canada

My next bike will be a ..ANFOB.....

It's All part of the ADVENTURE...

73 836cc.. Green, had it for 3 decades!!
Lost quite a few CB 750's along the way

Offline Haybus

• Enthusiast
« Reply #63 on: September 05, 2017, 10:29:44 pm »
Thanks Frank. I have a spare upper case that can donate the material needed, assuming there isn't catastrophic damage inside. Only found small pieces, which I assume are from the belly pan.
75 CB750
76 KZ900

Offline gschuld

• Master
« Reply #64 on: September 06, 2017, 08:11:09 am »
I'm with Scotty on this one.  Take a look at the primary gears from above.  They should be dead even with each other.

George

Offline bwaller

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #65 on: September 14, 2017, 05:08:38 pm »
Well it was a pretty good final race weekend. Friday practice was a wash so it was decided to schedule two practice sessions Saturday morning & cut down 1 lap per heat race. Unfortunately there were several crashes Saturday that ate up time, so Sunday morning practice was scrubbed to allow enough time to finish the Saturday schedule. Sheesh.. :P This meant Tyler had 7 races Sunday.

He was tied for the points lead coming into the final round in his FZR class. He was disappointed with a 3rd place finish in the heat, mostly due to struggling to launch smoothly. He has been trying an EBC clutch and just will not slip off the line. I think he'll now listen to me and get OEM parts. In the final he clawed his way forward and it was a tight race. The other guy tucked the front on the second last lap which gave Tyler the class championship. He worked hard for that and just goes to prove...you have to finish to win it!

He went 4 for 4 on my 550 and won each by 15 seconds or more. That gives him championship # 2 in mid production and a third in P3 Light competing in only 5 of 8 races. I may end up with another video at some point, so I'll share that.

The plan is to race Barber, lots to do to prepare.

Offline gschuld

• Master
« Reply #66 on: September 14, 2017, 07:14:26 pm »
Awesome Brent.  Proud papa you are I'm sure.  Please pass on my congratulations to Tyler for me.

George

Offline turboguzzi

• Old Timer
« Reply #67 on: September 15, 2017, 11:22:32 am »
wow, that's domination.... Brent, what did you feed him with when he was young?
10-40W Castrol?

Congrats! and picture of the trophies needed!

Offline bwaller

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #68 on: September 15, 2017, 02:06:11 pm »
He was fed a diet of Castrol R in his apple sauce. May be some pictures when the photogs start posting!

Registered in 3 classes for Barber but didn't realize we also need to request a pit/parking pass and the deadline was Wednesday, WTH? May be pitting in the museum parking lot!