Author Topic: 73 cb500 front and rear wheel issues help please.  (Read 1060 times)

Offline Shtonecb500

• Master
    • Youtube profile
73 cb500 front and rear wheel issues help please.
« on: April 25, 2017, 06:06:20 pm »
For the life of me I can't adjust the front brake properly, the non piston side continues to change its position and rub the rotor, everyday the the brakes squeals a little more. Second, Im noticing the smallest shards of metal inside the clutch side cover and small bits on my chain? wtf is that from because when I remove the cover I don't see any damage?

Third, I just rode to my house, got off my bike, adjusted the from brake and noticed my chain is sagging like crazy, why is this thing sagging or getting loose but the two chain tensioners are still in the same place.

I refuse to have someone else service this bike, I ride the #$%* out of this bike and I need to understand what I'm doing wrong.

any insight is appreciated.
73/74'' CB500/550 resto-mod - sold
75' 750f 91' cbr f2 swap cafe - mock up
74' 750 chopper hardtail - complete - sold
74' CB750/836kit - Black mix & match - daily rider - always tweaking
71' cb500 K0 survivor - complete
71' K1 - CANDY GOLD/BROWN Winton kit - in process

Offline evinrude7

• not a kung-fu
  • Master
  • something to hüsker
Re: 73 cb500 front and rear wheel issues help please.
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2017, 06:16:27 pm »
if like the 750, above the caliper there's a lock nut that is spring loaded.  you can adjust the front brake side to side with flat head screw from the other side once you loosen the lock nut on the caliper side.  also if you take the non-caliper side off with the allen head nuts there is a cotter pin holding the pad in it's housing. if that's jacked up the pad might be moving around in there.  have you bled the brake system?   

metal shards, maybe you have a sprocket that's eaten up.  did you remove the sprocket cover? 

again i'm working on a 750 but my guess is it's similar. 
cb750 k6 - ugly

Offline Scott S

• Global Moderator
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2017, 06:56:50 pm »
 Cheap chains stretch a lot, too. Spend a few bucks more for a better chain.
'71 CB500 K0
'17 Triumph Street Scrambler
'81 Yamaha XS650

Offline Keith

• Hot Shot
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2017, 07:15:29 pm »
Is the piston sticking? Is the pivot that allows the caliper to float free or is it binding?

Offline calj737

• Really Old Timer ...
  • I refuse...
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2017, 07:35:27 am »
Chain - if you remove the cover, inspect very closely the cover itself, and the cases. You might need to degrease the cases so you can see clearly any area where the chain (especially if getting loose) is slapping around and gouging the cases. Why do they stretch? Often from being too tight at the start, and then from being worn out. Are your sprockets freshly replaced? Really cheap chains stretch an awful lot too. Mileage in the chain and sprockets?

Brake - the stationary pad should not be moving at all. Either the cotter pin is missing, or there's debris between the pad and the caliper. The spring loaded adjuster is used to center the caliper/pads to the rotor. Once set properly, they should not require further adjustment as the the wear of the pads will allow the caliper to squeeze the piston side closer to the rotor, pulling the stationary pad into contact equally. It could be you have a pad that's not quite fitting due to paint of the edges, not retracting fully due to a worn seal, or just an improper adjustment.
'74 550 Build http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=126401.0
'73 500 Build http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=132935.0

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of it's victim may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated, but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." - C.S. Lewis