Author Topic: Electrex Alternator systems  (Read 887 times)

Offline tshrey

• Hot Shot
Electrex Alternator systems
« on: June 12, 2017, 07:41:21 am »
Has anyone installed one of these yet?

http://www.electrexworld.co.uk/acatalog/STK-550.html

I'm very interested in it for several reasons, mainly the reduction in rotating mass.  The price isn't bad considering you are also getting a new solid state reg/rec, coils and ignition.  Just wondered about the charging when at idle.  Also a little curious about the listing - says for the cb 4 cylinder series but the wording says for 2 cylinder engines.

Offline calj737

• Really Old Timer ...
  • I refuse...
Re: Electrex Alternator systems
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2017, 07:52:01 am »
This system has been discussed before. I think they also have a non-race unit, perhaps I'm mistaken. The issue potential is as you describe it, idle->charging revs. Depending upon how you ride, where you ride, whether or not this system will support your usage.

There's not really a heap of wiring reduced by this system, but it does eliminate the Reg/Rec components found in our stock bikes. I'm also pretty sure it won't support an electric start unless you install a battery  ;)
'74 550 Build http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=126401.0
'73 500 Build http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=132935.0

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of it's victim may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated, but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." - C.S. Lewis

Offline tshrey

• Hot Shot
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2017, 07:05:18 am »
Yes to all.  I want all new ignition regardless and would love to pull off the ten pounds or rotor and stator - that to me is the biggest attraction.

I know people talked about it, but talking about it and having experience with one are very different.  Just wondered if anyone made the jump.

Offline tshrey

• Hot Shot
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2017, 08:58:46 am »
So after a dozen or so emails with the company (they are really not very forthcoming, it is like talking to a lawyer - the only info you get is an exact response to your question).  Turns out the STK kit is ignition only and the RPK kit is the lightweight rotor/stator kit.  The STK picture makes it look like you get everything but that pic is misleading (at least to me), the rotor for timing produces enough current to run the ignition itself but that is it.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2017, 09:01:05 am by tshrey »

Offline TwoTired

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2017, 11:19:37 am »
So after a dozen or so emails with the company (they are really not very forthcoming, it is like talking to a lawyer - the only info you get is an exact response to your question). 

Doesn't this raise a red flag as to shady practices?  I don't understand why people reward such behavior with payment.  Desperation, perhaps?

Sounds to me they are preying on an uninformed buyer.  And, the more uninformed, the better.   Not putting anything in writing IS a CYA technique.

A few years ago, I tried to get power output specs from them, over the rpm range of operation, not just the max output capability.  They treated that like a trade secret.  They either didn't know or didn't want the public to know just what performance the unit had.  All they would say is that it "worked" on their race bike.  Of course they wouldn't reveal what their race bike's power usage was, either.  Leaving a buyer in the dark until paying them for the product and measuring it themselves.    If it doesn't work as you needed, too bad.  Can't return electrical parts that have been installed.  I can't support that kind of trap.
Lloyd... (SOHC4 #11 Original Mail List)
72 500, 74 550, 75 550K, 75 550F, 76 550F, 77 550F X2, 78 550K, 77 750F X2, 78 750F, 79CX500, 85 700SC, GL1100

Those that learn from history are doomed to repeat it by those that don't learn from history.