Author Topic: Racing Fuel In Austrailia  (Read 1282 times)

Offline Rocketman

• Hot Shot
Racing Fuel In Austrailia
« on: July 26, 2017, 12:48:13 pm »
Have an opportunity to participate in the International Island Classic in January.  Will be taking my 2 stroke Suzuki (I know, heresy!)  Was advised by a former participant the best race fuel available is 100 low lead aviation gas.  I normally run 110 octane leaded Sunoco in all my race bikes.  Can any of our Aussie members confirm what fuels are available down under?  Thanks.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2017, 05:29:59 pm by Rocketman »

Offline sohc boy

• Hot Shot
Re: Racing Fuel In Austrailia
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2017, 04:26:28 pm »
Hi Rocketman , you looked up Power Plus racing fuel
i live by the voice inside my head

Offline Rocketman

• Hot Shot
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2017, 05:36:50 pm »
Thanks SOHC Boy.  Power Plus looks like an option.  Would like to hear from anyone who is currently using it in a production roadracer such as a TZ or RG.  Which fuel are they using and were any adjustments to the ignition timing necessary?

Offline MRieck

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Big ideas....
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2017, 06:38:23 pm »
I just have to ask.....why do you need 110 octane....for roadracing???
Owner of the "Million Dollar CB"

Offline Rocketman

• Hot Shot
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2017, 05:53:59 am »
At most of the tracks I race in the mid-west you have two fuel options.  Sunoco Standard (leaded 110 octane) and an unleaded gas, SS100 I think.  I'm old school and wanted to use a leaded gas in my 4 stroke racer.  Could probably use the unleaded fuel in my two stroke race bike though.  Here is what Sunoco says about these fuels:

Sunoco® Standard™ is a 110 octane leaded race fuel that is used in many forms of motorsports.  Sunoco Standard is designed for compression ratios up to about 13:1 in conventional V8 engines with iron cylinder heads.  It can tolerate higher compression ratios in aluminum cylinder head applications or engines with smaller or more efficient combustion chambers.  While most racers use Sunoco Standard in naturally aspirated applications, it is also a good choice for mild nitrous, turbocharged, and supercharged applications.

Sunoco SS 100 is an unleaded high octane gasoline that is street-legal in California. Its 100 octane rating will allow increased boost levels in supercharged or turbocharged applications compared to premium pump gas. Sunoco SS 100 can be used in high performance vehicles both old and new. It can also be used in applications such as motorcycles, ATVs, karts, and other smaller engine vehicles.

When I started racing in the 70's Sunoco Cam 2 was the fuel of choice, but is no longer available.  Here is a link to the Sunoco web site:

http://www.sunocoracefuels.com/fuels

Offline Haybus

• Enthusiast
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2017, 09:36:02 am »
There's plenty of information online about this very subject. Of course most of it is opinion based. Sunoco 110 has a Motor Octane Number of 106 and a Research Octane Number of 114, with the typical US road based fuel calculation (R+M)/2 being 110. Avgas 110LL is rated using a different method, but similar to MON, and is only stated by that lower number. 106 vs 100, perhaps good enough if you're only after knock protection on your high CR motor. I'm running 100LL in my rated 12.5:1 motor, but was previously running Sunoco 110.

Alan
75 CB750
76 KZ900