Author Topic: Burning Oil  (Read 539 times)

Offline DanJ

• Enthusiast
Burning Oil
« on: July 31, 2017, 03:31:09 pm »
I've been burning oil out of what appears to be all four cylinders on my 73 CB 750K. I've done a compression test and I'm between 125-150 psi. Leak down test doesn't show anything out of the ordinary. I stumped, does anyone have any suggestions on where to look? Motor is out of the bike right now and about 400 miles ago the entire motor was rebuilt, piston, rings, sleeves crank  bearings and head. New valves guides and seals. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Dan

Offline ekpent

• Really Old Timer ...
  • To many bikes-but lookin' for more
Re: Burning Oil
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2017, 03:34:26 pm »
  How much oil was it burning during that period and was it laying out a lot of blue smoke. Your positive all your rings including the oil scrapper rings were orientated correctly ?

Offline DanJ

• Enthusiast
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2017, 05:07:43 pm »
On the highway it was blowing out a bunch of blue smoke. Seems like it on acceleration/load.  Rings I'm not sure about but I was going to look.

Offline seanbarney41

• not really that much younger than an
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2017, 06:49:06 pm »
Valve guide problem will make lots a smoke and consume lots of oil too.  ...and thinking twice would not be detected by a leakdown test as the guide will only leak when the valve is open.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2017, 06:51:45 pm by seanbarney41 »
If it works good, it looks good...

Offline DanJ

• Enthusiast
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2017, 03:02:07 pm »
There's a lot of oil residue in the exhaust pipes ends. I had oil pressure problems last year after the rebuild and that's when I ended up replacing the crank and lower bearings.