Author Topic: Vance and Hines Q?'s, got it.  (Read 2138 times)

Offline Don R

• My Sandcast is a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Saver of unloved motorcycles.
Vance and Hines Q?'s, got it.
« on: August 15, 2017, 05:35:12 pm »
 I just mounted the vance and hines sidewinder on my 72 cb750. Previously I had it on the 750 on a stand and also on a cb900c but when I sold the 900 the cheapo buyer didn't want to pay much so I kept the header.

The question is the megaphone mount tab, does it make it to the lower rear motor mount bolt or do I need to make a tab with 2 holes?
« Last Edit: September 17, 2017, 09:50:18 pm by Don R »
No matter how many times you paint over a shadow, it's still there.
 CEO at the no kill motorcycle shop.
 You don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows.

Offline dragracer

• Really Old Timer ...
  • CB750F Dragbike
Re: Vance and Hines ?'s again,
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2017, 10:40:55 pm »
On my 78F, I had to cut the mounting tab off at the front of the meg because the pipe was too low at the rear and I needed to push it up. The front tab didn't allow the pipe to move up so I cut it off.  I drilled a hole at the back of the meg, cut a piece of flat steel and made a bracket. I attached it to the aluminum  peg mounting bracket.

On the 76F project, I'm using the front mount tab and attached it to the rear engine mount/front peg bolt. This bike is monoshock so it sits higher in the rear than the red bike. Clearance isn't a problem.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2017, 10:43:16 pm by dragracer »

Offline Don R

• My Sandcast is a
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2017, 09:09:06 am »
  Thanks, mine wanted to angle down, I can get it on the engine mount bolt but it's too far out and the header is in a bind at the head.  I mounted it on the engine stand once so maybe I need new crush washers and start over. This bike is an old racer, it still has the old struts and sits low in the back. It's more of a tribute to the PO than a real dragbike.
  I am trying to reassemble it quickly to take it to a local car cruise and maybe someone that knew the PO and this bike will turn up an old photo of it or at least have a story or two to tell.

Offline dragracer

• Really Old Timer ...
  • CB750F Dragbike
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2017, 10:18:01 am »
Yes, you will need a spacer because the pipe does not hug close into the frame. I'm going to use a fully threaded coupling , cut to the proper length  and weld it to the motor mount nut to bolt mind up. If not the engine bolt will be too short to mount both foot pegs.

Offline Don R

• My Sandcast is a
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2017, 01:14:03 pm »
 Exactly what I was thinking, on a K the brake pedal gets in the way. I have an old cut-up pedal from a chopper project I bought, maybe I can make it work or make a u bracket to go under it.

I sat the 16x5" M&H slick aside, it fits in the swingarm but not the brake strut or linkage. It's got an aluminum rim from a 750A with a fat Shinko tire now. That's closer to how it was anyway.

Offline dragracer

• Really Old Timer ...
  • CB750F Dragbike
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2017, 10:28:02 pm »
Just curious, what's your ultimate goal with this bike??

Offline kmb69

• Master
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2017, 08:32:16 am »

I think he's going after Billies' and your records!  ;D  ;)  8)

Offline dragracer

• Really Old Timer ...
  • CB750F Dragbike
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2017, 09:37:34 am »

I think he's going after Billies' and your records!  ;D  ;)  8)

To be honest, with a properly prepped bike, my current record shouldn't be hard to beat. I certainly hope Don or someone else out there joins in the fun and lowers the numbers. I think its sitting at 10.54 right now ET wise. I had higher mph at the last race but I'm not certain the S/E guys acknowledged it because the  paperwork I submitted only listed an ET claim- I never looked at the mph. Regardless, I'm honored to share the CB/SS record with my friend Bill. We're in this together for the benefit of the single stick contingent.

Come on fellas. Bring those bikes out. We need participation.

Offline Don R

• My Sandcast is a
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2017, 09:55:59 am »
 At this point it's a tribute to the guy that owned it. He was a local Honda 750 guru and once told me it ran within .02 of it's national record but I'm not sure of the configuration at that time. He had ALS and passed away a few years ago.
 I'm a car Drag Racer and expect to make a pass or two with it but am realistic enough to know this old welded stroker and unknown age aluminum rods shouldn't be raced on a regular basis. I have another frame and a 77F engine that I'd like to build to go at it more seriously. I'd say big bore stock stroke and a Mike cylinder, I'm sure his port work is superior to what I have now.
 I'm retired and whenever I think it's time to build something the Dragster needs the funds. It's a rear engine car with a 567" Steve Schmidt big block, we usually run 8.90 at 175 or so in Super Comp but it has gone 7.44 at 182 in the 1/4 and 4.60's in the 1/8th on a good day wide open. My daughter drives it, I let my license expire and my helmet got old. I checked, it's an SA2000 lol.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2017, 09:57:53 am by Don R »

Offline Don R

• My Sandcast is a
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2017, 08:37:53 pm »
 I think my best bet is cut off the tab 2/3 down and tig weld an angle to it to get under the peg mount. That should clear the k brake lever.
  I'm taking to bike to my clubs car cruise Friday night, hopefully one of the old crew guys / biker bar hoppers will see it.

Offline Don R

• My Sandcast is a
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2017, 09:49:49 pm »
 I put on new copper exhaust. I left the head end loose, made the flange go over the peg bolt put on a nut and then tightened up the top bolts. With some luck it will relax after a few heat cycles. Or be angry forever. It needs a mag ground wire and fuel to start. I hope it's not raining tomorrow when I get ready to try it. Too many bikes in the shop.