Author Topic: CB550F Clutch  (Read 1004 times)

Offline ArthurF

CB550F Clutch
« on: September 16, 2017, 03:32:01 pm »
G'day All,   My cb550 has been behaving itself for several years now, but just in the last month or so, the clutch is starting to drag and it is hard to get into neutral (from either 1st or 2nd gear) when the engine is running.   Also the clutch is making a "knocking" noise like something is catching somewhere.
Looks like I will have to get into the clutch and see what is happening, but one problem - my manual does not indicate how tight to do up the 4 bolts on the clutch thrust plate, in the past I have tightened it up as far as I could - this might cause the drag?.
Any help appreciated.   ArthurF

Offline dave500

• Really Old Timer ...
  • WHAT?no gravy?
Re: CB550F Clutch
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2017, 10:47:00 pm »
gday Arthur,just nip those four bolts down then a little more,avoid trying to torque any 6mm bolts in aluminium as they are prone strip out,the bolts being too tight wont affect the clutch drag,it may just be worn out,they get to a point where you cant adjust them to either not slip or drag,follow the manual adjustment again and be sure the cable also is free to slide nice and not binding,where abouts are you?im on the gold coast.