Author Topic: Starter Motor Safety Unit  (Read 1869 times)

Offline MauiK3

• A K3 is saved
  • Old Timer
  • Old guy
Starter Motor Safety Unit
« on: October 08, 2017, 04:48:26 pm »
This is sort of an add on lesson learned to Hondaman's tutorial about the EMGO harness for K3 to K7. I am doing a K3 harness install and ran into a problem. After all was hooked up with the "extra wires" taken care of I had no power to the SMSU black wire in the red connector, none at the rear stop switch and the start solenoid would not work. I was doing this with the engine out so I grounded the neutral switch wire to simulate the engine in neutral. Long story short, I essentially installed the harness twice looking for a mistake. When I got down to wire checking with my test light I was wiggling things around and found intermittent power at the black wire at the SMSU. I thought my new harness had a break inside, not good. It turned out it was the brass end in the connector. I managed to tighten it up and the problem went away. I hope it does not come back, if it does I may have to some how replace or rebuild the red connector.
1973 CB 750 K3
10/72 build Z1 Kawasaki

Offline MauiK3

• A K3 is saved
  • Old Timer
  • Old guy
Re: Starter Motor Safety Unit
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2018, 03:09:31 pm »
I left the smsu out, doesn't seem to affect anything. I don't have a switch at the clutch either, bike came that way.
1973 K3 750
1973 CB 750 K3
10/72 build Z1 Kawasaki

Offline Sigop

• Hot Shot
Re: Starter Motor Safety Unit
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2018, 03:27:34 am »
FWIW, my 73, which I bought new, came with the switch and wire into headlight bucket at the clutch lever. It's been a pain in the butt though.
CB750 K3  Original Owner and Operator