Author Topic: 73-75 Denvers choppers CB750 period correct build thread  (Read 24513 times)

Offline lxcoupe89

Re: 73-75 Denvers choppers CB750 period correct build thread
« Reply #50 on: November 02, 2017, 01:19:06 pm »
I don't know right off hand, but I can get you some measurements if you give me a few days.

I've got plenty of time to wait. I appreciate you checking it out

Do you need the diameter of the stock air horns?  I just replaced mine and have the old set still.

Yes if its not much trouble. Are you going to hang onto your old ones or throw them away?

The diameter of the part where it fits into the airbox is all I need

The ones I replaced were aftermarket and measure 50 mm outside diameter.  OEM's are still available and I recommend them over aftermarket.  I had to replace them because they were cracking and falling apart after 7k miles.

Thanks I appreciate the help.

Offline 754

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #51 on: November 02, 2017, 07:19:56 pm »
I was annoyed at how loose the rubbers were in the breadbox, I run but once it's mounted it all fits, and no wobble.
I did not support the back. On some bikes I have seen them droop, but not mine..
Maker of the WELDLESS 750 Frame Kit
dodogas99@gmail.com
Kelowna B.C.       Canada

My next bike will be a ..ANFOB.....

It's All part of the ADVENTURE...

73 836cc.. Green, had it for 3 decades!!
Lost quite a few CB 750's along the way

Offline lxcoupe89

« Reply #52 on: November 03, 2017, 06:03:13 am »
I was annoyed at how loose the rubbers were in the breadbox, I run but once it's mounted it all fits, and no wobble.
I did not support the back. On some bikes I have seen them droop, but not mine..

That's good to know, I was wondering if i need a carb support of some kind.

Offline lxcoupe89

« Reply #53 on: November 03, 2017, 08:01:21 am »
While I am working on getting my rear wheel and axle set up done I'm also working on my carbs. I bought 2 racks of Carbs for I think it was $75. A 77 set of PD41A's and a 78 set of PD42B's. I was looking for those carbs in particular because they have the accelerator pump. Now that I've gotten into it I may have been better off getting the early carbs. There's hardly any OEM parts available for them and there is a very limited offering of aftermarket parts. I intended to buy K&L supply rebuild parts but they offer nothing for them. I even called them and had them check. The only thing they had was the accelerator pump parts.

I did some reading and ended up with Keyster parts from Z1 Enterprises. I also ended up buying new Carb Isolator boots from vintage CB750. From the research I've done they are the only boots worth buying. OEM boots are not available.

Since they are both 1yr carbs only, and there is a lack of parts available and the volumes are low. All of the parts for those carbs are more expensive than the others. Most parts are interchangeable between the 77's and 78's.

The 77 PD41A set of carbs appears to have never been removed from the rack, so I planned to build them. They operated smoothly by hand.

The 78 PD42B set of Carbs had been removed from the rack at some point and wasn't re assembled completely. The Slide needles on these would stick in the Needle jet making it hard to open the slides.

Since I wanted to thoroughly clean them and replace the slide needles and jets ect. I decided to us the 78 PD42B carbs. At the time I thought I had to separate the carb rack to change the slide needles. Since the 78 Rack was already goofed up I figured I start with them and would have the other better set if I had to start over. The only risk was money, the carb rack themselves were a basketcase and I could do no harm to them.

I did research and used pine sol to dip them (2 day soak). Afterwards I read that you shouldn't do that. I don't regret it yet though. It cleaned them up great, all of the passages are clean. The surface finish was dulled a bit and I could tell the finish was affected on some of the plated parts also. When I removed them from the soak I thoroughly rinsed them, scrubbing with a toothbrush before the pine sol solution could dry on them. Then while still wet I sprayed all of the passages with Gumout carb cleaner making sure that I had good spray streams out of all of the passages. I used a torch tip cleaner and a strand of copper wire to clean everything I could including all of the holes in the jets.

When I removed the slow jets I bent a couple slightly,  I figured I'd pull the ones from the set of 77 carbs. There were two issues with using them.

1. they jets were slightly different they had 6 holes vs 8 holes on the 78 carbs in the emulsion tube section of the jet.

2. Someone one drilled out the jets to a huge size. As soon as I saw it I was like wtf, I'll bet they drilled them with a 1/16" bit (the smallest common size), grabbed a bit and checked it . Yup drilled out to 1/16".

Below you can see the holes size difference. Now I know why that rack of carbs was no longer in use. The hole was 20.5 times bigger than it was supposed to be.

I ended up buying brand new Keihin brand Jets from JETSRUS. It cost about $70 just for the main jets and pilot jets.

I bought 42 pilots and 120 Mains to start out

The only thing I have left to get is Needle shims, I'm planning to pick them up today. Once I get them I can start putting the carbs back together. I plan to start with 1 shim on each needle.

« Last Edit: November 03, 2017, 08:12:49 am by lxcoupe89 »

Offline Ichiban 4

• "Ichi"
  • Hot Shot
  • A "Boomer" still going strong.
« Reply #54 on: November 03, 2017, 06:09:45 pm »
Very nostalgic thread!  Grew-up in San Berdoo.  Knew of Denver Choppers..but didn't have the money to seriously consider getting those bikes.  (Was still processing my sh-t from Viet Nam war then BTW).  Rode a Honda 450 twin then tho!

York, PA also familiar to me. Spent many a year doing business with Dentsply..while practicing dentistry in the late 60's thru late 90's.  How time flies!

Thanks for the re-invigorated memories lxcoup.  think you're doing a great job on capturing the essence of 1970's Honda choppers with your build.  Will be following as you post further on this..

Best..Ichi
Al Summers

Present: '77 550K
Past: '73 CB450(twin), '72 CB175, '68 CB350, '58 Ariel Square 4 (1000cc), '58 Matchless Typhoon (650cc single), Whizzer Motorbikes '48 -'55 (Pacemaker & Sportsman)..Vespa, Lambretta scooters..etc.

Offline lxcoupe89

« Reply #55 on: November 06, 2017, 05:09:47 am »
Very nostalgic thread!  Grew-up in San Berdoo.  Knew of Denver Choppers..but didn't have the money to seriously consider getting those bikes.  (Was still processing my sh-t from Viet Nam war then BTW).  Rode a Honda 450 twin then tho!

York, PA also familiar to me. Spent many a year doing business with Dentsply..while practicing dentistry in the late 60's thru late 90's.  How time flies!

Thanks for the re-invigorated memories lxcoup.  think you're doing a great job on capturing the essence of 1970's Honda choppers with your build.  Will be following as you post further on this..

Best..Ichi

Thanks for posting, I've heard of Dentsply they recruited from the Drafting school I went to. That had to be a cool experience living out there near LA while all of the wild custom car and bike stuff was new and was evolving. back in those days I think it took a while for the trends to make it to the east coast.

Those guys back then didn't have the internet, access to the tools like we do now. They had to be smart dudes and it took some skill and guts. I wish I could have experienced some of it. I love that area out there. That's the coolest area I've ridden a motorcycle in so far. I plan to go back out there.

Offline Macmcgough

« Reply #56 on: November 06, 2017, 06:25:59 am »
 What a wonder, pain-staking build.
 Do you plan on doing all the molding again? That was defiantly a BIG part of  the '70's
builds?
 Also, how are you handling the missing title? I don't know about NJ. , but next door here in Pa. , if you don't have a title, your screwed!
 Keep up the great work!

-MAC-

Offline lxcoupe89

« Reply #57 on: November 07, 2017, 05:50:23 am »
What a wonder, pain-staking build.
 Do you plan on doing all the molding again? That was defiantly a BIG part of  the '70's
builds?
 Also, how are you handling the missing title? I don't know about NJ. , but next door here in Pa. , if you don't have a title, your screwed!
 Keep up the great work!

-MAC-

yes I plan to mold the frame again, after I get it running and ride it to see if I like it.

It has re-construction frame tag and title. 1975 reconstructed in 1980. 1975 date code motor. Everything on the build is period and all the paperwork will be legit.

Offline lxcoupe89

« Reply #58 on: November 07, 2017, 09:14:30 am »
Back to the Kawasaki wheel saga......

I did some comparing on the sprocket carriers. The Pics and measurements are below. I still do not know exactly what these are off of except a Kawasaki. I'm fairly certain they are 73-77 Z1/H2 sprocket carriers. They are nearly identical except the sprocket surface is taller on the chrome one.

I'm curious to know if it was a change for a wider tire or maybe for different types of wheels or something. The chrome sprocket carrier doesn't line up with the honda transmission sprocket but the non chrome plain aluminum one does, damn near perfect.

I added these pics and info just in case someone one searching for it finds it one day down the road. I cannot find any info on the differences of Kawasaki sprocket carriers.

Dimensions in BLUE are for the Chrome sprocket cover

Measurements for the sprocket are in RED. This sprocket came on the non chrome carrier

Offline lxcoupe89

« Reply #59 on: November 07, 2017, 09:26:35 am »
Anyone ever heard of a Dorcy Tire? I can't find any info on them at all.

Judging by the DOT number I'm thinking maybe its a 1977 or possibly an 87. Its a cool looking tire.

Offline lxcoupe89

« Reply #60 on: November 07, 2017, 09:34:11 am »
Two weekends ago I finally got a chance to finish stripping the paint off the springer.

There is a little wear in the axle hole on one rocker, someone must have ran the axle too loose. Debating on having a new set of rockers made.

The tabs on the bottom of the springer legs, on the right side only, are slightly tweaked. Twisted just a little. Left side tabs are straight. All legs are straight, not bent. I'm thinking the damage was done removing the axle. I'm hoping I can easily straighten them back out. I haven't tried yet.

« Last Edit: November 07, 2017, 09:42:06 am by lxcoupe89 »

Offline lxcoupe89

« Reply #61 on: November 07, 2017, 09:45:56 am »
At this point, other than posting pics of some of the parts I've collected from ebay and swap meets the thread is up to date.

I finally found washers to shim my carb needles, I should get them today. I have my new wheel spacers designed up and I have a guy lined up to turn them for me. Hopefully I get them by the end of the week and can get the rear wheel bolted in place correctly.

Offline lxcoupe89

« Reply #62 on: November 17, 2017, 07:31:17 am »
Finally got my M2.5 brass Needle shim washers and had some time to start working on the carbs. I haven't had a lot of time to work on it lately.

I read that the throttle shafts/bushings should be lubed with silicon grease, I had dielectric grease and was tempted to use that but ended up buying Sil Glyde to use.

I rechecked all passages, the accelerator pump check valves, installed all the jets, set the float heights @ 14.5mm, put on all the bowls and installed the accelerator pump parts.

The Slow jets I bought from JETSRUS do not have the Keihin "K" on them. I thought they were supposed to be OEM, I guess they aren't.

next I will tackle all of the slide parts and shafts

« Last Edit: November 17, 2017, 09:50:04 am by lxcoupe89 »

Offline lxcoupe89

« Reply #63 on: November 27, 2017, 06:58:32 am »
Finally finished putting the carbs back together. Everything went back together good with no issues. I used 3 in 1 oil to lube the felt seals and used sil glyde to lube the shafts and bushings. Not sure if thats the right stuff to use but I think it'll work.

I noticed the fit of the choke shaft to the seals was pretty loose. The first pic makes it look worse than it is the second pic shows it a little better. Since that shaft is before the slide its technically not a vacuum leak so I think it shouldn't affect how the bike runs. Is that thinking correct? Do you think this will cause any issues?

All finished and bench sync'd. I used a 9/64 drill bit as a feeler gauge to sync them.

All back together, next step is to fuel them up to final check the accelerator pump,  confirm float levels and that the float needle is working properly.

Offline lxcoupe89

« Reply #64 on: November 27, 2017, 08:14:17 am »
MOTOR MOUNT BOLTS

The stock CB750 motor mount bolts were too long to work with the Denvers frame. I also prefer to have both ends match since they are visible. I decided to cut the stock bolts down to length by cutting off the bolt head end and then re-threading them. This will allow me to run either stainless or chrome acorn nuts and both sides will look the same.

I use a porta band, the trigger held on with a zip tie, this frees up one hand to help steady the saw and the work.

The shank of the bolt is larger than the threaded diameter so I need to turn down the diameter before I attempt to thread it.

Since I don't have a lathe, I chucked it up in my drill and used my belt sander to size it.

With the end now sized correctly I threaded it to match the other end.

The first one is done. The top rear.

Now I need to do the front bottom bolt. Both bolts need to be the same length. I grabbed another bolt and cut off the same amount as the first one. Unfortunately I didn't realize the second bolt I grabbed was shorter so I ruined that one. Luckily I had another bolt so this time I measured and cut it correctly.

The rest of the process was the same as the first one, so I'll skip all those details. As I finished each one up I cleaned them with a scuff pad and polished them with some never dull in the drill. Here are pics of the second one done and loosely bolted in place

Offline lxcoupe89

« Reply #65 on: March 05, 2018, 09:44:25 am »
My thread has gotten behind but I've been steadily making progress.

I bought some pipes on ebay to use just to get the bike running, the plan is to go with longer pipes later. I didn't really know what I needed or how to make them fit. They are the bolt on style so I had to remove the factory spigots and buy studs. I was bummed out to find that the inside pipe on the left side was bent and didn't look right, after looking at it for a month or so I finally got the balls to take it off and bend it back. It looks pretty good now.

Before tweaking the bent pipe

After re-bending the pipe.

Offline lxcoupe89

« Reply #66 on: March 05, 2018, 09:56:19 am »
Back when I was fitting the Kawi rear wheel I drew up some wheel spacers. Since I don't have a lathe I asked a buddy to help me out and make me a set of wheel spacers. Finally got em and put them on. Started measuring out my chain length and confirmed that the sprockets line up.

Offline lxcoupe89

« Reply #67 on: March 05, 2018, 10:01:17 am »
My tank had Ewarts petcocks in it. I found a set of nos ones on ebay and snagged them. I think I could have rebuilt the old ones but since parts were missing I wasn't sure. Now I'm pretty sure I can rebuild the old ones.

Offline lxcoupe89

« Reply #68 on: March 05, 2018, 10:12:02 am »
I did a bunch of research on chains, ended up going with a 530 RK heavy duty standard chain. Worked out to a 118 link chain. Felt great getting it tensioned up and being able to see how the fender and tire will fit. What didn't feel so good was finding out my expensive Fred Hernandez oil tank does't have enough clearance to the chain. That was a bummer. The silver lining is once I cut it open and weld her back up I will have the satisfaction of not just buying a tank and bolting it on but making it fit and earning it.

Offline lxcoupe89

« Reply #69 on: March 05, 2018, 10:26:08 am »
At the same time I was working on all that I was also working on my springer rebuild. Once I started checking stuff out I noticed the rockers don't match. I think one was bent and they may not have matched to begin with. One of the axle holes was egged out also. I thought about it for a while and was debating having some machined or widdling them out myself and having the bearing holes machined. In the end I had a buddy that would help me out so I 3D modeled them up and they were wire edm'd out. I'm pretty lucky to have that hook up.

I added some material to make the new ones a little more beefy than the originals but tried to keep the appearance as similar as I could.

New rocker next to the old

Offline slikwilli420

• Master of Disaster
  • Master
« Reply #70 on: March 06, 2018, 04:49:35 am »
No new pictures showing up.
All you gotta do is do what you gotta do.

Vintage Speed Parts Mashup: http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=133638.0
Rickman CR Parts Kit Refresh: http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,154837.0.html
AHRMA CB750 Racer: http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,158461.0.html
AHRMA Superbike Heavyweight Racer: http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,173120.0.html
'76F CB750 Patina Redemption: http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,174871.0.html

Offline lxcoupe89

« Reply #71 on: March 06, 2018, 05:20:24 am »
No new pictures showing up.

I posted a bunch, I can see them in the post, I'm a forum amatuer so I have no idea what could be going on.

Offline slikwilli420

• Master of Disaster
  • Master
« Reply #72 on: March 06, 2018, 12:15:02 pm »
Working now! Might have been my phone. Looking good.
All you gotta do is do what you gotta do.

Vintage Speed Parts Mashup: http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=133638.0
Rickman CR Parts Kit Refresh: http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,154837.0.html
AHRMA CB750 Racer: http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,158461.0.html
AHRMA Superbike Heavyweight Racer: http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,173120.0.html
'76F CB750 Patina Redemption: http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,174871.0.html

Offline lxcoupe89

« Reply #73 on: March 07, 2018, 08:45:55 am »
Thanks for letting me know

Offline lxcoupe89

« Reply #74 on: March 07, 2018, 09:26:22 am »

Spent some time in the garage the night before last modifying the oil tank and added the fender support to the sissy bar. I don't have a lot of fab tools so my methods are crude but get the job done.

I hated to cut into the tank but enjoyed the challenge. Here is where I hacked it up

Then I trimmed the new panel and welded it back up

Before and After Pic

Looks like the chain guard will fit pretty good now

I knocked out more of the sissy bar also while I had all the tools out

It looks like most of the Denvers oil tanks were a different, I dug through all my saved pictures before I modified it since I want it to look similar to originals. My tank was made by Fred but he didn't have the bike to make the tank fit just right. In the end, I'm glad I got to work on it myself, but also glad my tank was made by Fred couldn't have turned out better!

Here are some of the pics I referenced, I figured I'd include them because who doesn't like seeing Denvers bikes!