Author Topic: longer swingarm Q?  (Read 1474 times)

Offline Don R

• My Sandcast is a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Saver of unloved motorcycles.
longer swingarm Q?
« on: December 03, 2017, 08:24:27 am »
 For anyone that has ridden one, what is the actual effect of a 2" longer swingarm on handling? I'd assume they turn in a longer radius and roll in to the turn differently. Just wondering.
No matter how many times you paint over a shadow, it's still there.
 CEO at the no kill motorcycle shop.
 I smell like Lilacs, I've got glitter on my cheeks and it's all Joe's fault, he told the stripper it was my birthday.

Offline Sam Green Racing

• Really Old Timer ...
  • I REALLY? hate black rims.
Re: longer swingarm Q?
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2017, 10:18:21 am »
Mine didn't feel much different Don but I didn't do any riding on the road.

Riding around the pits at drag events was quite nice considering the rear end was ridged. 
C95 sprint bike.
CB95 hybrid race bike
CB95 race bike
CB92
RS 175. sprint/land speed bike
JMR Racing CB750A street ET drag bike

Offline gschuld

• Master
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2017, 12:28:35 pm »
Rob( Voxonda) PREFERS a longer than stock swingarm for his cb750 based road racer.  BUT, he combines this with raising the rear end with 14.5” shocks, using smaller diameter 18” wheel/tire front and uses 45mm offset trees to compliment it.  I believe the swingarm he made was around 1.5” over stock.

Putting a 2” over swingarm on an otherwise stock geometry bike, sorry no help there.

George

Offline 754

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2017, 12:54:05 pm »
77/78 has 1.5 or 1.25 inch longer and wider maybe.. Cb 500 four is longer.
 These are commonly run,
Should be fine on the street.. I ran a 6 over on street a bit long, I think 4.5 us more to my liking..
Maker of the WELDLESS 750 Frame Kit
dodogas99@gmail.com
Kelowna B.C.       Canada

My next bike will be a ..ANFOB.....

It's All part of the ADVENTURE...

73 836cc.. Green, had it for 3 decades!!
Lost quite a few CB 750's along the way

Offline dragracer

• Really Old Timer ...
  • CB750F Dragbike
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2017, 02:03:29 pm »
I agree with Frank on 4" being the threshold. You probably won't feel any difference in handling with a 2 over arm in my experience. Wilbur has a 2" over arm on his k model if I remember right. Maybe he can chime in.

Offline 754

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2017, 03:25:35 pm »
 A big problem here these days are stunting fines, they want to take your bike away.
 With a 6 over arm I can leave as hard as I want and rarely lift the wheel.  With a 4 or 4.5 over  it might be a bit harder.
But come off a light hard beside say a sportbike, and they wheelie.. I know who will get the ticket.
Honest officer, I was just riding normal, not sure what that jackass beside me was doing..
Maker of the WELDLESS 750 Frame Kit
dodogas99@gmail.com
Kelowna B.C.       Canada

My next bike will be a ..ANFOB.....

It's All part of the ADVENTURE...

73 836cc.. Green, had it for 3 decades!!
Lost quite a few CB 750's along the way

Offline Don R

• My Sandcast is a
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2017, 03:28:56 pm »
 OK thanks.
 I smell like Lilacs, I've got glitter on my cheeks and it's all Joe's fault, he told the stripper it was my birthday.

Offline seanbarney41

• not really that much younger than an
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2017, 06:04:23 pm »
I disagree with those who say you won't feel the difference.  I can feel the difference in handling in as small of a change as putting a new chain on so that the back wheel is returned to the front of the adjusters.  Whether this change in handling will prevent you from enjoying the ride or not is the real question.  You will just have to understand that there WILL be a change in handling and adapt and ride accordingly.
If it works good, it looks good...

Offline Don R

• My Sandcast is a
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2017, 09:31:13 pm »
 I can tell a huge difference between a K0 and an F1, the F feels much bigger to me, I assume due to changes in the front end and wheelbase. I don't mind it at all but was wondering seeing so many KZ's with longer swingarms and a few cb's also, what the handling difference is. I'm not a canyon carver but I have to admit, I really love to get my lean on when I'm riding my gl1000. It just turns in so neatly and powers back up.
 I've ridden CB's with 16" rear tires, lowering blocks and a windjammer back in the day. The worst handling thing I ever rode was that same k3 with a Goodyear on the back and a Continental on the front, omg it was awful. I do like to go long on a chain, so far I haven't had to remove a link but I have too many bikes to wear one out. lol.

Anyway I'm putting a gs1100e swinger on a kz1000. Maybe I'll learn if the gs swinger works well on a cb750 frame also.

« Last Edit: December 30, 2017, 09:14:46 pm by Don R »