Author Topic: CB750F caferacer build  (Read 2369 times)

Offline Davy D

CB750F caferacer build
« on: December 17, 2016, 07:18:12 am »
Hallo all,

I'm finally getting started to rebuilding my CB750F into a (hopefully) nice cafe racer.

I started  the hard way :
 - I bought a bunch of frame parts an two engines, also mainly in parts.
 - After some research and checking out the parts manual, I found out the parts were a combination of an F1 and an F2.

I recently have received the engine back. It has got a valve job and the cylinders have been bored to 2nd oversize.

I also bought a new alloy gas tank an seat from TabClassics. They do a nice job, I'm really happy with them. And that's where I have my first question for this forum
- Does anyone have experience or ideas on how to mount the tank on the frame? The front of the tank fits perfectly in the rubbers/mount, but the rear of the tank needs a special/other mounting. It has two "buttons". Please find out the following pics :

Thanks,
Davy.

Offline Rutgery

Re: CB750F caferacer build
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2016, 07:40:08 am »
Hey Davy,

those ''buttons'' are used to attach a rubber tank strap (see attached picture). I use the same straps on my cb400 to secure the fuel tank. My strap hooks behind a tab I attached to the frame part behind the air box.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2016, 08:25:13 am by Rutgery »

Offline Steve_K

• Expert
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2016, 08:22:49 am »
An alloy tank would likely need no contact with the frame.  I think one would want to avoid any vibration as to not hurt the tank.  Does the builder have suggestions for mounting?
Steve

PS the tank does look great!
Steve_K

76 CB 550, 73CB750, 86 GSX-R750, 16 Slingshot
Old rides:305 Honda, CL350, 74 CB550
 05 SV1000S, 88 CBR600,92 VFR, 88 Hawk GT, 96 Ducati 900SS, 98 Kaw ZX6R, SV650

Offline bill440cars

• Feeling More & More,
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Tryin' To Slow Down "Time"!
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2016, 10:07:27 am »

Curious what the manufacturer might say, but my own thoughts would be to carefully check to see where the tank would contact the frame, get some sheet rubber, cut the rubber into shapes for those areas and secure the rubber pieces to the frame or underside of the tank, with some good adhesive. Only thing that comes to mind from me. Hope that helps or at least get the thought processes to working, to improve on my input. Looking to see what others or you might come up with on this one. I'm always looking for ideas & suggestions that I might need to know to help myself or others, along the way.  ;)
Member # 1969
PRAYERS ALWAYS FOR: Bre, Jeff & Virginia, Bear, Trevor & Brianna ( Close Friend's Daughter)
"Because HE lives, I can Face Tomorrow"                  
 You CAN Teach An Old Dog New Tricks, Just Takes A Little Bit Longer & A Lot More Patience!! 

Main Rides: '02 Durango, '71 Swinger & Dad's '93
                  Dakota LE 4x4 '66 CB77 & '72 SL350K2
Watch What You Step Into, It Could  End Up A Mess!

Offline turkey4me

• Enthusiast
  • The closer you are the less you can see!
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2016, 06:19:41 am »
Don't let the tank contact the frame.  This is what I used for tank and seat mounting.  Hopefully your carb slides won't hit the tank when fully opened.

http://www.meadspeed.com/products/honda/cr750/tank-rubbers

Offline Swoop

• Enthusiast
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2016, 06:45:35 am »
Foam 1" pipe insulation worked for me.

Offline Davy D

« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2017, 04:07:05 am »
Good afternoon (or whatever it is there),

I'm very, very slowly getting somewhere, my frame is almost done and ready to paint, but the paint shop is even more slow than I am. Took some pics of it, but my phone broke, so only text at the moment.

I'm still looking for some parts for my F1, but they seem hard to find.
 - a set of drive chain adjusters (40543-392-000). I found them on ebay, but I'm not sure if this is a reliable way of buying as it seems those parts are very expensive there. Anyone knows a good resource where I can buy them and be pretty sure to receive them?
  - second part is the rear axle sleeve (42605-300-000). I have one available from an F2, but it is wider than the one I need on the F1. If anyone can provide me with the right dimensions I can turn them to correct size. It also seems this part is not very commonly available.

Thanks in advance,
Davy.

Offline Davy D

CB750F caferacer build
« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2017, 12:58:10 am »
Good morning all,

First of all my (early) best wished for the coming year!

Last week I finally received my frame and crankcase back from the painting shop (waited 6 months for it). It has been blasted and repainted with engine paint because the previous owner made a terrible effort to paint it black.
So I'm starting on building up the engine. This week I finished the lower part of the engine.

Next week I want to do the upper part of it, but I have a question about the piston rings. I have 3 grooves in my pistons, witch 2 of the mare used for 1-part piston rings. And there is the confusion I have: I have a black coloured ring and a copper coloured ring and don't know in what order/place I need to install them on the piston.

Can someone help me out with this please? I hope the pics are attached hereunder (not many forum experience).

Thanks,
Davy.

Offline Zenfiddy78

« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2017, 05:38:59 pm »
The foam pipe insulation may eventually compress (or break down) to the point that it doesn't protect the tank the way it should. 
 A google search for  "dense foam material" will yield many options