Author Topic: mid-project crisis  (Read 4288 times)

Offline gregwaits

• Hot Shot
  • Damn, riding a CB750 sure is fun!
    • waits music
mid-project crisis
« on: January 02, 2007, 05:53:31 pm »
I dropped my bike off at a local mechanic (cheaper than the dealership service guys, and probably more honest). He gace the bike a once over and told me frankly that I am looking at more money to get this on the road than I anticipated (more things need attention than I expected).

I was told that the carbs had been overhauled (the seller told me). Turns out that the seller was a bald faced liar. They are in bad need of rebuild. Even though the engine seems to have good compression. he advises I jump off of this project.

This is not the news I wanted or expected to hear. I thought this bike ('73 CB500K2) was a better candidate for restoration than he seems to think it is. (and I believe him).

I knew going in that there is not much logic in rebuilding an old Jap bike. We are all into this because it is something we love.

He told me of another guy who has a similar vintage CB500/4 with no title, and the engine seems to be in better running order. He said I can probably pick that one up for $250. If I pursue that route, he can do a swap out of components (to my titled frame), and I will end up with a parts bike and a runner.

Grrrrr. I just want to ride!

Any advice based on experience with this sort of thing?
1978 CB750K8; 1970 CB450

Offline mkramer1121

• Expert
Re: mid-project crisis
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2007, 05:55:56 pm »
Does the engine turn over?  If you kick it with the kickstarter, does it make the revolution smoothly?  If so, a carb rebuild is nothing.  Buy 4 kits from partsnmore.com for $60, replace the jets and seals, and soak the bodies in some yamaha carb cleaner or berryman's.  Take detailed pictures of it when you take it apart, or just have a good memory and everything will go back together easilly.  Then, once you have them reassembled, do a bench synch to get the carbs close to being where they need to be.  Carbs are easy once you've done them once. 

As for anything else, what I would have had to do for the $150 project just to get it back on the road is the following (though, I'm now doing a complete build):

1) Carbs, rebuild and synch
2) Brakes, rebuild front caliper and master cylinder and new front and back pads
3) Fork seals on the front forks
4) New tires

That would have gotten my project back on the road.  The most expensive of those things would have been the new rubber at about $100 a tire mounted. 

My advice is to stick with it.  If you just want a rat to ride, you can acheive that, and then later get a bike to 100% restore.  As for the mechanic, no offense to any on here, but unless they deal with old jap bikes, don't trust their work or opinion.  I took mine to an old Harley guy to get the carbs synched.  Long story short, I watched him adjust the air mixture screw on the carb instead of the throttle plate to adjust the synch.  These bikes are such that all minor repairs and most major repairs can be done by someone with little expertese and access to this forum.  Hang in there, it will get better soon.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2007, 06:04:42 pm by mkramer1121 »

spider-man

« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2007, 06:25:26 pm »
Other than the carbs, what needs attention? If you can work a computer keyboard, you can rebuild Keihin carbs. It's not rocket science, you just have to be organized.

Offline BobbyR

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Proud Owner of the Babe Thread & Dirty Old Man
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2007, 06:41:10 pm »
What he may have been telling you that at his labor rate it does not pay. He may also be trying to tell you in a nice way, he does not want to do the job. These Yuppies will pay a stiff fee for a set of plugs and a chain lube/adjustment without batting an eye.  You will be surprised what you can do with some simple hand tools, a book, patience, and the help you will find on this forum.
Dedicated to Sgt. Howard Bruckner 1950 - 1969. KIA LONG KHANH.

But we were boys, and boys will be boys, and so they will. To us, everything was dangerous, but what of that? Had we not been made to live forever?

Offline Jinxracing

• It's hot shit, not
  • Hot Shot
  • '70 CB750 K1
    • The Hairy Nickel
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2007, 06:52:41 pm »
I had a conversation with a good buddy of mine the other day. He owns three fairly new bikes, and was asking me about my CB750 project. After I told him about it, he remarked that he'd really like to have an old cafe racer to bomb around on. I asked him, "Why don't you build one then?" He's a smart guy, he can rebuild a computer blindfolded, he somehow manages to make his mortgage payment on time every month, but he said that rebuilding an old bike doesn't interest him. He'd just "rather ride". I don't think there's any shame in that, but it was a tough one for me to wrap my head around because I enjoy every minute out in the shop working on my project bike and staring at it while dreaming about how cool it'll be when it's done.  ;D

Maybe you'd be happier spending a little more money at the outset to get a good runner and fixing the little things that come up. God knows paying someone else to fix up a rat bike is not the smartest financial move...especially if you get halfway done with it and run out of money and/or motivation then sell it for a fraction of what you paid for it.

To paraphrase Robin Williams in Good Will Hunting, "Decide whether you're a tinkerer, a rider, or both, then just be that."  ;D
"Each of us can find a maggot in our past which will happily devour our futures."

–Captain Horatio Hornblower

www.thehairynickel.com

Offline medic09

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2007, 07:17:57 pm »
Greg,

I'm really sorry for your frustration.  You've gotten all good, rational answers here.  I started out 'just riding' my 750Four this past August, with only that intention in mind.  I'm working on a different project, but more as the helper to an experienced PO.

Well, I soon found out my 'just a ride' Honda had all sorts of problems.  I started tinkering out of necessity.  I needed my bike for the commute.  I have found all sorts of things wrong and wronger as I go.  What surprised me is that working alone in the garage, bit by bit, was quite therapuetic.  I was scared to death to get in there and work on stuff I knew nothing about; on a bike that I NEEDED to have running for transportation (my car was nearly totalled and in the shop for a month).

As of now, I have a bike with fully repaired and working electrics.  I have things working that didn't even work when I bought it.  Some simple tasks improved engine performance and reliability enough to get me to the winter.  I even just cleaned up and repaired some stuff that shouldn't have been neglected (like a battery box full of corrosion that I didn't know about).  Now I'm getting ready to work on the carbs.

In the process, I've discovered garage therapy; and I have the satisfaction of having fixed up my bike.  It's still ugly; but when folks stop and ask about it (other riders always stop to admire these bikes) I can say that it's mine, and it serves me well because I've worked on it.

Think about it.  You *might* be surprised, like I was.  Your bike doesn't have to look and perform like some of the works of art on this forum.  You might find a patient project can have rewards and benefits beyond riding it when you're done.  You'll certainly get lots of coaching on this forum when you need it.

BTW, the 'two bike' solution doesn't sound so crazy, either.  But I would have the mechanic do only a minimum of stuff that requires really specialized tools or skills, and you can learn while doing most of the rest.  Even when the mechanic is going to do work, you can do all the prep and disassembly and reassembly, and save a bundle on labour fees (to spend instead on parts and tools!  :D).

Just another set of thoughts for ya...

Good luck!
Mordechai

'78 CB750K
'76 Triumph T160 Trident (rebuilding)
'07 aprilia Caponord

Santa Fe, NM

Offline doug_id

• Hot Shot
    • My Cafe 550 Project Gallery
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2007, 07:54:41 pm »
I just try not to think about how much I am spending on this project......that works for me.    ;)

Really, it has been worth it for me.....it is a totally new experience and I am enjoying the heck out of it. ;D ;D
02 Concours
78 CB550
06 Stella 150 2t Scooter

Offline Terry in Australia

• Really Old Timer ...
  • So, what do ya wanna talk about today?
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2007, 08:41:04 pm »
Yeah, restoring a bike doesn't mean taking it to a shop and paying someone else, it means getting your hands dirty. The money you save on labor charges will buy you most of the parts you need, and some tools to do it with, the experts here can solve any problem you're likely to encounter, and hand-cleaner is cheap mate! ;D 
I was feeling sorry for myself because I couldn't afford new bike boots, until I met a man with no legs.

So I said, "Hey mate, you haven't got any bike boots you don't need, do you?"

"Crazy is a very misunderstood term, it's a fine line that some of us can lean over and still keep our balance" (thanks RB550Four)

Offline CrisPDuk

• Christ on a bike! Me, an
  • Expert
  • Oh happy day! 3rd December 2005
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2007, 10:03:38 pm »
Here's the only five things you need to get and keep these babies going:

1- A good basic set of tools - Metric spanners and/or sockets, a selection of screwdrivers & allen wrenches, a big hammer (what will do a lot, will do a little ;)) and a solid workbench.

2- A good steady supply of beverage(s) to taste, my own garage has a kettle, a fridge, a catering pack of tea bags & a choice of beers :)

3- A good workshop manual - Mine is Honda's own and came from ebay on CD, I'm sure the guys on here can tell which others are worth having (or not?)

4- A cheap ass stereo and some relaxing tunes. I have now graduated to an ipod, but Miles Davis, Oscar Peterson, John Coltrane and the rest are still putting in the hours ;D

5- Plenty of time, care & patience.

This small selection of easily obtainable items has seen me enjoyably through the rebuilding of 3 cars, and we are about to embark on our first motorbike together :D
Education: Elitist activity. Cost ineffective. Unpopular with Grey Suits. Now largely replaced by Training."

1978 CB550 K3
1985 H100S

Offline gregwaits

• Hot Shot
    • waits music
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2007, 10:08:09 pm »
Wow....thanks for the great feedback and suggestions.

I was even suprised at my wife's response when I shared this with her. I was expecting her to come back with "well there ya go. I told you it was a waste of time and money!"

She actually said that maybe the project will just take a little longer, and she too suggests I tackle the carb rebuild myself.

When will I ever cease to be surprised by women?  :o
1978 CB750K8; 1970 CB450

Offline CrisPDuk

• Expert
« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2007, 10:12:27 pm »

If that happens, it'll be a world's first for ya ;D
Education: Elitist activity. Cost ineffective. Unpopular with Grey Suits. Now largely replaced by Training."

1978 CB550 K3
1985 H100S

Offline gregwaits

• Hot Shot
    • waits music
« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2007, 10:26:00 pm »
Crisp..sent you an IM.

1978 CB750K8; 1970 CB450

Offline Sam Green Racing

• Really Old Timer ...
  • I REALLY? hate black rims.
« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2007, 10:29:44 pm »
Quote from: gregwaits link=topic=16986.msg174941#msg174941 date=1167804489

[quote

When she does the job for you ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Sam.
C95 sprint bike.
CB95 hybrid race bike
CB95 race bike
CB92
RS 175. sprint/land speed bike
JMR Racing CB750A street ET drag bike

Offline angeldeville

• Hot Shot
  • You meet the nicest people on a Honda!
« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2007, 10:37:33 pm »
you have a great resource of experience here on this forum we can walk you through just about anything.
76' cb750f custom
69' cb750 sandcast
69' CT90
Amen Saviour 750 Chopper frame
and enough parts to build about 6-7 more bikes

Offline seaweb11

• 1st Mate &
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Ride & Smile
    • Playground Directory
« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2007, 10:38:54 pm »
You can't give up at just 64 posts :o

Start asking questions and reading past threads, it will all work out ;D

Offline Blaize

• Relax, God is make believe.
  • Enthusiast
« Reply #15 on: January 02, 2007, 10:41:56 pm »
I will just offer two thoughts, Never think of it as "rebuilding a bike" If you are doing the brakes one weekend just think of it as "rebuilding the brakes" the trick is to think of it as a string of small projects, not one big one. You would be suprised how fast you will run out of projects.

And with access to this forum and a decent manual there is no such thing as taking it too far apart. There is nothing that mechanic can do that you can't. (I am a pro mechanic by the way) the only thing that requires skill is painting and wheel lacing and most of that is just practice. take it apart, clean it, replace the broken bits, and slap it back together. Its all lego's and tinker toys man.
Living the American dream (in England).

rt

« Reply #16 on: January 02, 2007, 11:16:22 pm »
Heh, don't let them discourage you. As Blaize said - treat your bike as kinda "rolling resto", tackling it step by step. Repair one bit, then ride your bike to have some fun and compensate for time and effort. Doing it that way you'll have the joy of riding plus a steady gain in confidence into your own skills....

success...

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #17 on: January 02, 2007, 11:25:50 pm »
Just remember to restore your brakes before you restore your engine, and not vise-versa! ;D
I was feeling sorry for myself because I couldn't afford new bike boots, until I met a man with no legs.

"Crazy is a very misunderstood term, it's a fine line that some of us can lean over and still keep our balance" (thanks RB550Four)

Offline nteek754

• Hot Shot
  • 1973 K3/750/836/70 1970 750 chopper 1973 cafe
« Reply #18 on: January 03, 2007, 06:30:58 am »
Hey all I remember the first time of opening my manual to start tearing down my first 750 a 1974K Brother hit a stonewall with it but thats another story I bought a parts bike and started pulling wrenches and that was 31 years ago and have never quit like another post in here said  he enjoyed  every minute in the shop well there has been some trying moments but yeah it is fun and cheaper I have been running my 73 K 750 kerker pods for over 15 years now added an   836 kit  last season WOW!!! im spoiled now  three years ago I built a 750 old school chopper came out nice in fact got first place trophy for inprted custom now I slowly building a cafe and just loveing it so for all you that have never dared to dive in go get a manal and some tools and have at it seven fifty four ever Craig in Maine
seven fifty four ever its not the destination its the journey Ive been collecting these old dinasours for 33 years . they are quite an ICON

Offline turtle

• Hot Shot
  • 1980 CX500 Custom
« Reply #19 on: January 03, 2007, 06:51:17 am »
Don't think of it as an economic proposition. Think of it as a hobby. If you weren't at home fixing your bike, you could be out on the golf course or the pub and how much would those past-times cost?
Good luck with the bike. We certainly get a lot of satisfaction working on ours.
1972 CB350 Four
1977 CB750 K7
1979 Suzuki GT250 X7
1980 CX500 Custom
1980 CX500 Shadow
1981 CB900 Bol D'or
1982 CB750 F2

"If it ain't broke, don't fix it."

Offline bryanj

• Really Old Timer ...
  • CB500 Number 1000036
« Reply #20 on: January 03, 2007, 09:16:06 am »
Ah Hell, go back to him and say you want the other bike AS WELL, if its complete you may be able to get one to ride whilst you rebuild the other!
Semi Geriatric ex-Honda mechanic and MOT tester (UK version of annual inspection). Garage full of "projects" mostly 500/4 from pre 73 (no road tax in UK).

Remember "Its always in the last place you look" COURSE IT IS YOU STOP LOOKIN THEN!

Offline crazypj

• I'm brill, me
  • Old Timer
  • first 100,000 miles. 1977 CB550F
« Reply #21 on: January 03, 2007, 09:52:08 am »
Wow....thanks for the great feedback and suggestions.

I was even suprised at my wife's response when I shared this with her. I was expecting her to come back with "well there ya go. I told you it was a waste of time and money!"

She actually said that maybe the project will just take a little longer, and she too suggests I tackle the carb rebuild myself.

Not too surprising, she knows EXACTLY where you are and what your doing ;D ;D
( plus, you probably gave her puppy eyes when you told her ;D)
PJ
I fake being smart pretty good
'you can take my word for it or argue until you find out I'm right'

Offline Bikebuff

• Enthusiast
« Reply #22 on: January 03, 2007, 10:09:40 am »
Hi GW,

I am glad you've shared your experiences and thoughts/feelings here.  I've got a 70 750 K0 I picked up for $75 dollars and have been having a blast working on it.  If you read medic09's response, he must have been reading my mind, as garage therapy and the "joy in the process" is therapeutic to me (obviously to others too).  I am not a mechanic by trade (I work in the mental health field) but plotting out and prioritizing what NEEDS to be done and then what you WANT to do so as to keep some financial hold on this (and to keep the Missus happy  ;)).  I'm currently working on cleaning and rebuilding the carbs as we speak and it's been a joy to discover what you can do with some tools and courage.  I too, have some buddies that have newer bikes and they "just want to ride, "  but you'll be amazed at the respect you earn when you share with others what you've done to resurrect the bike you bought.  They ask: how do you know how to change fork seals, put in an electronic ignition, etc.  It's pretty neat to prove to yourself what you can do.  Keep posting here, ask questions, laugh a lot, share your successes and mistakes.  Look in your local area for any places that specialize in working on vintage bikes.  I live in Milwaukee, WI USA and since it's Harleyville (no offense, as I like all bikes) , it's not as prevalent to find a shop.  Thankfully, there is a place called "The Shop"  that specializes in vintage bikes.  All I'm saying is look around, ask questions, be persistant and keep your head up.  It's gratifying to see what you can accomplish. 

Prost! ;D

Offline CrisPDuk

• Expert
« Reply #23 on: January 04, 2007, 08:40:42 pm »
Just remember to restore your brakes before you restore your engine, and not vise-versa! ;D

Good Grief Terry you shouldn't go revealing major tips like that so early in the game ;)

You've gone deprived him of learning the value of shoes with thick soles now 8)

PS: Don't you even think of mentioning the C word to me for at least six months >:(

PPS: Caught some footage of Warnie's little girl bowling on TV last night :o Don't s'pose she's got any English great-grandparents ???

1978 CB550 K3
1985 H100S

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #24 on: January 04, 2007, 10:40:50 pm »
PPS: Caught some footage of Warnie's little girl bowling on TV last night :o Don't s'pose she's got any English great-grandparents ???

Not if she can bowl straight mate, ha ha! ;D