Author Topic: Number plate side covers  (Read 1075 times)

Offline Scott S

• Global Moderator
  • Really Old Timer ...
Number plate side covers
« on: January 13, 2018, 04:30:54 am »
 This is for a CB550 but it's a pretty general question.

Yes...drill a hole and zip ties is the easy answer.

Has anyone ever used number plates for the side covers? The oval or maybe slanted rectangle style?
 Is there a neater, more classy mounting method? Bonus points if I can use the existing tab holes and don't have to weld.
'71 CB500 K0
'17 Triumph Street Scrambler
'81 Yamaha XS650

Offline DV Red Herring

• Enthusiast
  • Army RETIRED
Re: Number plate side covers
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2018, 05:15:45 pm »
Cut them to fit and use Dzus fasteners
« Last Edit: January 14, 2018, 07:57:55 am by DV 750 »

Offline Yamahawk

• IGOR!Come here IGOR! ...Yesss
  • Master
  • 1971 Honda CB750 Four K1
    • Kingdom Run Biker Church and Outreach
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2018, 05:57:54 pm »
Drilling two holes in the oval number plates, at top and bottom will allow you to zip tie them to your frame tubes, no holes drilled in actual bike, and held securely. If you used Dzus fasteners, you would have to drill or weld the back plate or the pop-riveted spring to a hole. Another option is to get some vinyl cut for your side covers, and cover them with the appropriate color for your number plate, then use 3.5" numbers for the competition number of your choice. The RD350 had one screw in an already drilled hole.
Charlie
1971 CB750K1 (newest bike), 1996 Royal Enfield 500 Bullet (therapy bike), 1981 Yamaha XV920RH, 2006 Kawasaki Concours (retirement bike), 1975 Yamaha RD350 (race bike), 1989 Honda VTR250 Interceptor (race bike), 1986 Kawasaki EX250 Ninja (race bike in progress), 1985 Honda Elite CH250, 1973 Yamaha GT1 80cc, 1974 Yamaha DT360 project bike.

The Only Thing Necessary for Evil to Triumph, is for Good Men to do Nothing.
Edmund Burke

All Things work together for good, for those who love God and are the Called according to His purpose.
Romans 8:28

Though He slay me, Yet will I trust Him...
Job 13:15
will you trust Him...?

Offline spotty

• Master
  • cb750....for when a Vmax is just too much bike
    • spottys world of vmaxes and great danes
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2018, 10:45:38 pm »
I'm going to put race plates on my K8 750 trail bike and this is how I'm going to do it ( but don't tell anyone cos its a secret)

Remove the rubber grommets from the orig side mount tab holes, find bolts that only just fit thru the holes from the back and extend past whatever the plates are covering ( in my case oil tank and electrics). Use nuts to tighten the bolts in the tabs on the frame.

Drill 5.5mm holes down the middle of the bolts feom the threaded end and tap out to M6 threads

Mark where these holes will correspond on the plates and drill 6mm holes using nice stainless washers and cap bolts attach.

I'm going to use aluminium sheet ( street sign) to make my plates but this should work with premade plastic ones.

Hope this makes sense, any questions just let me know

Also the best way to get the 5.5mm holes down the middle  is with a lathe but a drill press will work too if you can clamp the bolt dead centre vertically under the chuck

As you'll only need maybe a centimetre or so of thread to hold the plates on you can then drill out the bolt from the other end to a much bigger hole to add lightness
i blame Terry

Offline 78whiteorbs

• Expert
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2018, 11:30:01 pm »
Bend three "L "shape brakets from lowes or home depot etc into "C"s in a vise to the angles you need with some vice grios hammer etc. Then drill holes to mount them through the stock sidecover holes... Use rubber washers if you like! Then you can use wing nut round head bolts (for easy access) with wing nuts on the inside or use pop revits. I saw this on a bije once I picked up and bada bing. They also make bendable predrilled "strap"metal you can use thats easy to bend as well. +1 for using aluminum number plates just seems classier than plastic to me and wont warp as easy in the sun...